Apps not working

JohnGalt1234

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2023
Clarksville VA
I've recently added dish with a hopper 3 with 2 3TB EHDs, Hopper Plus and three Wireless Joey 4s.
After finally getting the WAP positioned things finally have stabilized except for streaming apps.

Paramount+ only works on one wireless Joey but not on any of the other devices. Been through all the network router resets and now Paramount support admits it is their problem and I have an unresolved open ticket.

Ok, so can't watch Paramount, how about Amazon Prime Video?

This is even worse. If you open Prime from the home page, you get the big Prime smile logo, and that's it. No Navigation, nothing, just a splash page.

If you select Prime from the apps section, I just get a black screen, same for turning to channel 301.

So I've tried 2 streaming apps so far and neither worked so I'm not impressed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Have had same issues. Will say over time most start to work. Not sure if there's a delay in the Android TV software and Apps updating or what. Last week got a new hopper+ installed because of problems I was having unrelated to the apps. All apps work on the new one except Amazon.

Work around temporarily is to stream the app to the hopper+ from a mobile device.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
An update. After about 5 mins the prime splash screen on the hopper3 finally gave the option to Login.
Spinning circle for about 1 min then enter code or greyed out QR code, but error message "failed to generate code", selected get new code, spinning circle for a minute, then back to failed to generate code.

1 wireless Joey4 has the same failed to generate code thing happen, (btw, same on channel 301 and accessing prime from apps instead of home) 2 other wireless Joey4s still just have a black screen.

I've recently added dish with a hopper 3 with 2 3TB EHDs, Hopper Plus and three Wireless Joey 4s.
After finally getting the WAP positioned things finally have stabilized except for streaming apps.

Paramount+ only works on one wireless Joey but not on any of the other devices. Been through all the network router resets and now Paramount support admits it is their problem and I have an unresolved open ticket.

Ok, so can't watch Paramount, how about Amazon Prime Video?

This is even worse. If you open Prime from the home page, you get the big Prime smile logo, and that's it. No Navigation, nothing, just a splash page.

If you select Prime from the apps section, I just get a black screen, same for turning to channel 301.

So I've tried 2 streaming apps so far and neither worked so I'm not impressed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, so Monday the day after my post, both Prime and Paramount+ worked on all my devices. Monday night we watched a few episodes on Prime. Last night, we try Prime again but it failed again, back to the splash or blank screen and Paramount failed too with the same Oops msg.

Neither are working on any of my dish devices, I'm back to where I was when I first posted.

What would cause them all to work one day and all not to work the next?

Ok, so Monday the day after my post, both Prime and Paramount+ worked on all my devices. Monday night we watched a few episodes on Prime. Last night, we try Prime again but it failed again, back to the splash or blank screen and Paramount failed too with the same Oops msg.

Neither are working on any of my dish devices, I'm back to where I was when I first posted.

A lot of my techs recently have been going to Service Calls due to app issues.

It could be anything like the connection from the Hopper 3 to internet being ethernet instead of Wireless as mentioned here which may be a sofware or hardware issue:
Thanks for the info but this problem is not similar to mine. I don't have freezing or buffering and the hopper3 wireless connection is consistently getting 60 to 120 mbps at the hopper3.

With Prime it either works great or I can't open the app. With Paramount+, I can always open the app, and when it plays, it plays fine with no freezing or buffering, but otherwise it comes up with a message "Oops, we're having some trouble playing this video. (6040)".

I appreciate the help though.

Thanks for the info but this problem is not similar to mine. I don't have freezing or buffering and the hopper3 wireless connection is consistently getting 60 to 120 mbps at the hopper3.

With Prime it either works great or I can't open the app. With Paramount+, I can always open the app, and when it plays, it plays fine with no freezing or buffering, but otherwise it comes up with a message "Oops, we're having some trouble playing this video. (6040)".

I appreciate the help though.
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure and I could be 100% wrong. Hopefully you get this resolved in the not too distant future.

Ok, Prime worked again on Thursday, neither Amazon nor paramount + have worked since then.

I noticed that it is possible to Uninstall and reinstall the apps through the dish/Google "get more apps" UI.

Dish support didn't suggest it when I called but at this point I figure what have I got to lose?

Has anyone uninstalled and reinstalled apps on Dish?

Btw, both Prime and P+ work on my android phone on the same network my hopper3 is on. Interesting that in P+, when you cast to your wireless Joey4, it opens the app on the Joey (which doesn't work) instead of mirroring the screen from your working android.

Ok, Prime worked again on Thursday, neither Amazon nor paramount + have worked since then.

I noticed that it is possible to Uninstall and reinstall the apps through the dish/Google "get more apps" UI.

Dish support didn't suggest it when I called but at this point I figure what have I got to lose?

Has anyone uninstalled and reinstalled apps on Dish?

Btw, both Prime and P+ work on my android phone on the same network my hopper3 is on. Interesting that in P+, when you cast to your wireless Joey4, it opens the app on the Joey (which doesn't work) instead of mirroring the screen from your working android.
Ok, hadn't heard back on my last post so I went ahead and tried it.
Since Prime is an "android system app" it didn't truly uninstall it but apparently it uninstalled the last update, which Shazam! Made Prime work on 3 of my 4 Dish devices but I had to do it on each one. For some reason, Prime worked on one of my Wireless Joey 4s without doing the uninstall. Keep in mind on the other 3 dish units, I just did uninstall and ignored the "update" from the Google Play Store.

Apparently, the most recent version of Prime introduced a bug on Dish, or as they call it nowadays, a glitch or unintended feature.

Uninstalled P+, and then reinstalled and it didn't do squat to fix that. But for the last 28 or so hours, Prime has worked.

Ok, hadn't heard back on my last post so I went ahead and tried it.
Since Prime is an "android system app" it didn't truly uninstall it but apparently it uninstalled the last update, which Shazam! Made Prime work on 3 of my 4 Dish devices but I had to do it on each one. For some reason, Prime worked on one of my Wireless Joey 4s without doing the uninstall. Keep in mind on the other 3 dish units, I just did uninstall and ignored the "update" from the Google Play Store.

Apparently, the most recent version of Prime introduced a bug on Dish, or as they call it nowadays, a glitch or unintended feature.

Uninstalled P+, and then reinstalled and it didn't do squat to fix that. But for the last 28 or so hours, Prime has worked.
Update, Prime has been working for over a week now since I've Uninstalled the app update.

Paramount Plus has not worked on any of my Dish devices for weeks. Does anyone else have a problem with Paramount + on Dish?

Update, Prime has been working for over a week now since I've Uninstalled the app update.

Paramount Plus has not worked on any of my Dish devices for weeks. Does anyone else have a problem with Paramount + on Dish?
It's working OK for me on my Hopper Plus & Joey 4s in St Louis using Western arc.

Update. It's been 5 weeks since Paramount + didn't work and they acknowledged it was a known issue.

Called them again today cuz last email update was over 2 weeks ago and all it said was they'd email me when resolved.

Paying a monthly subscription for something that doesn't work for 5 weeks is frustrating. Especially since they negotiated some Big 10 games where they will be the only way to watch them.

Btw, no offer to refund a month of non-working subscription either.

• Wow
Update. It's been 5 weeks since Paramount + didn't work and they acknowledged it was a known issue.

Called them again today cuz last email update was over 2 weeks ago and all it said was they'd email me when resolved.

Paying a monthly subscription for something that doesn't work for 5 weeks is frustrating. Especially since they negotiated some Big 10 games where they will be the only way to watch them.

Btw, no offer to refund a month of non-working subscription either.
If you are paying for Paramount+ and it doesn't work on the Hopper, that has nothing to do with Dish.
There is always a chance some apps will have problems.
If you limit yourself to one method of streaming, that also is not the fault of Dish
No one is forcing you to use the Plus for streaming, you choose to.

If you are paying for Paramount+ and it doesn't work on the Hopper, that has nothing to do with Dish.
There is always a chance some apps will have problems.
If you limit yourself to one method of streaming, that also is not the fault of Dish
No one is forcing you to use the Plus for streaming, you choose to.
You probably didn't see the first post starting this thread where I said it was a P+ problem,

"Paramount+ only works on one wireless Joey but not on any of the other devices. Been through all the network router resets and now Paramount support admits it is their problem and I have an unresolved open ticket."

I do have other devices I can watch it. Football is better on a bigger screen than a phone or tablet and screen mirroring invariably has screen break ups. I can buy another firestick or move it around from room to room.

I know that we are now expected to tolerate "glitches". When I ran a software company we called them bugs and got on fixing them or rolling back updates ASAP.

The more we put up with poor service the more we will get IMHO. You'd think Dish would have a big enough base they'd want to fix it.

You probably didn't see the first post starting this thread where I said it was a P+ problem,

"Paramount+ only works on one wireless Joey but not on any of the other devices. Been through all the network router resets and now Paramount support admits it is their problem and I have an unresolved open ticket."

I do have other devices I can watch it. Football is better on a bigger screen than a phone or tablet and screen mirroring invariably has screen break ups. I can buy another firestick or move it around from room to room.

I know that we are now expected to tolerate "glitches". When I ran a software company we called them bugs and got on fixing them or rolling back updates ASAP.

The more we put up with poor service the more we will get IMHO. You'd think Dish would have a big enough base they'd want to fix it.
Ok, latest update. Paramount+ support sent me an email about this known ongoing bug and some potential fixes. None of them worked.

But, while I was fiddling with my routers and such, I thought I'd try running the hopper+ Internet off my primary LAN network.

I have two ISPs and two separate LANs. My primary LAN has a commercial grade non WiFi router with 2 wired wifi access points with hot WAN failover to my backup ISP (starlink) and has around 55 wifi devices on it.

I had the hopper+ connected to my Backup starlink router and LAN because the Starlink wifi router was closer and had a better signal to the hopper, has less 5G channel interference with only the Starlink router in the 5G channel group, only has 7 devices on the router, far less LAN traffic and being a generic off the shelf router configuration has been more acceptable to peculiar apps and devices than my primary LAN which has layers of intrusion protection and network monitoring software & hardware, etc.

I started to wonder if Paramount + might be having issues with Starlink. My primary ISP is a microwave connection to a local tower connected to fiber. It's latency consistently is 15-20 ms, versus Starlink 35-70ms, jitter is 4-7 versus Starlink 22-35, rarely has packet losses versus Starlink <0.4%. Speed on primary WAN is consistently (in mbps) 70-90 DL, 15-25 UL versus Starlink 30-250 DL and 8-35 UL.

So, I connected the hopper+ to my primary WAN, and Shazam!!! Paramount + worked on all four of my Dish devices.

So, I thought, ok, Paramount + must have some low level signal quality checks that didn't like the jitter, packet losses or latency causing the "oops, connection problem " on my Starlink router.

That would be easy enough to test by switching my router WAN failover settings to swap primary and back up WAN connections. Now, hopper+ is on my congested primary LAN but is accessing the Internet through Starlink with all the jitter, latency and packet losses that go with it.

To my surprise, PARAMOUNT + STILL WORKED! and has done so over the last week. So, all I can say is that the Paramount + known problem seems to be an issue with the Starlink router as the primary router. (Keep in mind with the Starlink router behind my primary router, all the internet traffic is double NATing.)

I'd be curious if anyone else with Starlink as their primary router and Dish hopper plus is having this problem with Paramount +?

The Starlink router is such a simple, generic basic setup, I can't imagine why it would cause this bug to be exposed and I imagine there a many other basic routers that would have this problem too.