Archos 605 ann 722K

uptownvideo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Does anyone know if the Archos 605 can be hooked up to transfer shows from a 722K like a pocketdish can?

Does anyone know if the Archos 605 can be hooked up to transfer shows from a 722K like a pocketdish can?

Uptownvideo,

Yes it will work as long as the recordings are NOT HD. You can only transfer SD content to the Archos 605.

The other option is to playback the event and record the show in realtime to the Archos 605. The advantage to this is, the archos 605 will compress the recording using h.264 so it will use less Hard Drive space on the Archos 605 than a Transfered show. You will need the appropriate Plugin for the Archos though.

John

There seems to have been a falling out. I for one would immediately buy a top of the line Archos at full (premium) price if I could take HD recordings from my home to my RV to watch.

Ain't gonna happen, sadly.

I thought I read somewhere that the Archos did not handle MPEG4??

Jim,

The Archos units are able to compress in Real Time using h.264 (or Mpeg4 compression), although an Archos unit is unable to transfer any stored content from a Dish DVR already encoded in MPEG4.

John

There was no falling out. It's just that it didn't make economic sense for Dish to continue to have Archos manufacture the custom pocketDish branded product. It was decided to let the Dish subscriber purchas compatible Archos devices on their own. The last time I checked the Archos website, the have a whole section devoted to Dish Network compatible products. Dish does have a section on their website referring to Archos products and a link to the Archos website. Engineering has made it clear (well, obviously, not as clear as they thought) that Archos continues to produce Dish Network compatible products and refers all those interested to the Archo website.

It was decided to let the Dish subscriber purchas compatible Archos devices on their own.
Except that compatible players (other than the PocketDish line) are only those in the 5th Archos generation. Neither my 404 nor the latest/greatest Archos Internet Media Tablets support the Dish Network plug-in. And for those 5th gen Archos players that do work, you can only download mpeg-2 SD from Dish HD receivers! Dish 522 and 625 receivers don't work. Mpeg-4 SD and HD don't work. :(

Absolutely. Archos devices will not work with Dish HD.

I would think the cost to Archos to enable this capability would be quite reasonable. But I must be wrong. Or maybe Dish wanted too much from Archos to allow them to do it. Heck, maybe the content providers nixed it. Nobody seems to be talking.

14M Dish customers. SWAG maybe a million with HD DVRs by the end of 2010. SWAG 5% of them as possible customers for a Dish HD Archos device: 50,000. Or 2% at 20,000. How many Archos devices are sold in a year?

Except that compatible players (other than the PocketDish line) are only those in the 5th Archos generation. Neither my 404 nor the latest/greatest Archos Internet Media Tablets support the Dish Network plug-in. And for those 5th gen Archos players that do work, you can only download mpeg-2 SD from Dish HD receivers! Dish 522 and 625 receivers don't work. Mpeg-4 SD and HD don't work. :(

Fair comment. However, on a past Tech Forum, they did say that Archos was supposed to be working on a product that would support HD and high speed transfer of that. However, it is pretty much up to Archos when they get around to producing that product. That is the one disadvantage to Dish not paying for the custom Dish Network branded PocketDish. Sorry. I guess we'll all have to keep checking the Archos website.

However, on a past Tech Forum, they did say that Archos was supposed to be working on a product that would support HD and high speed transfer of that. However, it is pretty much up to Archos when they get around to producing that product.
Another interesting comment. ;) HD playback has been a bone of contention between customers and Archos for a long time. Their players use the TI DaVinci chipset whose spec sheet claims it can play back HD video. IIRC, Archos was contemplating issuing an HD plug-in for their 5th generation players, but they never did so. Some speculated that Archos was unhappy with the chipset because it couldn't really keep up with the bitrate under some conditions, and Archos didn't want to add crappy HD playback. Others claimed simply that Archos didn't want to make gen 5 too good since they were about to come out with gen 6 (the Internet Media Tablet players), and they do support 720p HD video.

So that's the bottom line. Archos already sells players that support HD playback. No Dish plug is available for these HD players as yet.

Well, if you ever hear of such a plug in released, pls be sure to post here in big red flaming letters!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)