Arduino baud rates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Anyone know what the slowest serial baud rate that can be set? I'm looking for something that can do 45 baud. None of the current crop of uarts can be set to such a slow speed.

It would help if I knew what you were doing with it and why you need that speed?
RTTY?

It would help if I knew what you were doing with it and why you need that speed?
RTTY?

RTTY. If I can't get a serial port working at that speed I'll have to turn my programming talents to sound cards. I'd hate to throw away my serial port to rig FSK interface. Today's uarts don't do 75 baud RTTY either. There may be a way to software emulate this stuff but I haven't found anything about doing that.

You can go as slow or as fast(well to a limit) as you want in software. :)

Read this thread to get you started:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=83815.0

Excellent. Thanks for the link. If I read the UART specs correctly it'll get the job done. Too bad I can't find a factory made USB serial port adapter that supports 45 baud, though. I did get a PL2303 based adapter to work at 45 baud even though the specs says the chip doesn't support such a slow speed. The software I wrote for the PL2303 wouldn't work with my new FTDI chip based cable though. I did find Windows based software (EXTFSK) that works with MMTTY so that I could use a USB serial port cable but some developers said that there is too much "bit jitter" to maintain accuracy in decoding. As a matter of fact, those developers are abandoning FSK because they say that it uses too much bandwidth and creates QRM during a contest. Interesting since I can use a sharper receive filter with RTTY than LSB (AFSK) but it makes tuning a tad more difficult. More expensive rigs are more customizable on filter performance but I'm not that rich.

Time to go spend more money.

Let me know what you come up with. I enjoy incorporating Arduino and Atmel chips in my projects.
I have quite a few. :)

I just ordered an Uno from Mouser. Would have been $15 cheaper if I waited for one from China (about a month shipping time - much faster from Mouser). :clapping

I'm not sure if I need anything else to make this thing work.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)