Are diplexers and combiners the same thing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayDog08

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
I am looking to combine my OTA signal and satellite signal on one line. I see both a diplexer and a combiner at Radio Shack. The combiner is like $12 and the diplexer is twice as much. The descriptions of both sound about the same. If the combiner will work is there a downside to it vs a diplexer?

dragon002 said:
the diplexer is the one you want

Thanks. Looks like I'll be dropping $50 for what seems like glorified combiners.

no they arent glorified anything. diplexers combine/split two different signals, splitters split a single signal to two different areas.

JayDog08 said:
Thanks. Looks like I'll be dropping $50 for what seems like glorified combiners.

If you dont need them absolutely right away, I ordered a bunch of JVI diplexers from www.18inch.com. They are decent quality, and a lot cheaper than 50.00 each :)

-Chris

Dragon002's statement is correct. The $12 RS combiner/spliter is not designed to pass the 2GHz down-converted SAT signal, but their $24 16-2567 diplexer is designed for exactly what you're trying to do; BW on the SAT side is good to 2150MHz whereas the combiner/splitter probably would only pass half or less of that range.

Frankly, that diplexer looks weak to me, especially for the outdoor-mounted end. The gold plating that the $12 RS splitter has would have also helped the diplexer, but there are other considerations. I'm not sure what luck others have had, but in my experience, these things can really add up to hurt you! I'm in a fringe area. The insertion loss of these store-bought diplexers would be a definite weak link in my system. IMHO, if you have the option it would really be better to just run the second RG-6/U (QS preferred) for the OTA antenna. The material cost wouldn't be much greater, and you'd have the option to add a preamp if it turns out you need one. (I don't know of any way to add the preamp's power onto the same cable that's carrying power for the LNBs.) Otherwise, look for a better quality diplexer unless you have really strong local signals. I haven't checked, but I'm sure you can find a better grade readily available. (I trust the installers have sources for, and actually install, better grade hardware!)

PS Dragon002 - I'm a big Steelers fan, too. Just now getting ABC-HD OTA (23.1 WATM Altoona), wish I knew about it in time for the S-B; they went HD just 2 days before...!

JayDog08 said:
I am looking to combine my OTA signal and satellite signal on one line. I see both a diplexer and a combiner at Radio Shack. The combiner is like $12 and the diplexer is twice as much. The descriptions of both sound about the same. If the combiner will work is there a downside to it vs a diplexer?

Don't know if you are wiring any of the new H-20 receivers and AT9 antennas, but if you are you can't use diplexers between them. The new AT9 LNBs use the same frequency as local TV stations, and you have to feed the local antenna and the satellite LNB signal, to the receiver on two different coaxial lines. I just had to remove all my duplexers and run two separate lines.

Not sure if this effects you, but wanted to let you know before you purchase them. They are still OK to use on SD systems, but you will have signal loss compared to running two separate lines.

JayDog08 said:
I searched the net and in 3 seconds found them for 2.99 each if I bought 4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Audio and video off on Discovery HD

Any help would be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)