Are either of these dishes worth fooling with?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
Free, but I would have to remove NPRM and blocks from the roof and haul away.

Attachments

• Roof Pictures 002 Florida Ave Tampa.JPG
    Roof Pictures 002 Florida Ave Tampa.JPG
    808.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Roof Pictures 001 Florida Ave Tampa.JPG
    Roof Pictures 001 Florida Ave Tampa.JPG
    918.9 KB · Views: 279
They both look to be on fixed mounts, so that's a strike against them.
The first looks to be an old heavy fiberglass dish, so without knowing anything about it, I'd be leery.
The second looks like it's a bunch of stamped metal petals... is it set up for Ku only?
I'd take a second look at the second dish, but not knowing the size of either, proceed with care. :)

The pics were sent to me so I don't know any other details.
Number two got my attention also. It is fairly close to me so I'll invest in a go look at it trip.

Geez, where would I put it? Hmmmmm, maybe another tree could fall on the mountain side.............

I'd say the first one is about six or eight feet, judging from the tiny DBS dish sitting to its right.

The big one might make a nice 87W fixed. Pretty sure it's an 8 ft'r. Biggest obstacle on 'em is: how many stories to the ground? Building owner may want a insured/bonded service to lower them, $$$. Now if that service, at their cost (as in you're not interested), were to lower 'em to the ground, or onto your flatbed trailer, you could take over from there(???).

We are satellite guys, I would take them both but that's me.

The fiberglass dish is going to be heavy and a difficult take down. From my experience taking down two 6' Prodelins. The smaller prime focus dish looks like more fun to play around with.

Thanks FaT,

I'll be going to look at them on Fri. They are both on the same building and Google Earth shows a one story building.
I have pretty much ruled out the larger of the two dishes but I do have access to a flat bed trailer. Your suggestions may very well come in handy in negotiating something with the owner.

Pepper made me look.

The molded dish is 8' or maybe 8½'
The petal dish is 6'

I'd go for the 6'er, and skip the heavy old fiberglass.

I like the NPRM on the large fiberglass dish. Perhaps not the dish itself as much, but that's a nice NPRM. Looks just like the ones used on the 6' Prodelin dishes.

I'd snag 'em both if I had the means to get the heavy monster down off of that roof.

The building the dishes are on is an old car dealership which will be going under renovation soon, including a new roof.

The large dish is a monster. All very solid, one piece and thick sided 8'2'' fiberglass. It must weigh 300 lbs. All the hardware is is great shape as well as the NPRM. Taking it, the NPRM, apart would be a breeze butt the dish is way more than I want to handle even with a helper or two. It had some sort of receive/transmit LNBF on it. I could not read the old label nor was there any manufacturer label on the dish.

The smaller is a 6' metal panel dish with fiberglass support arms, with a tiny LNBF on it. No label. The dish and supports themselves are in great shape butt the rest, I was afaid to touch. It has probably been there since the days they rolled cigars in Tampa, and every fastener on this dish had rusted away to almost paper thin size. The mount is not much better. The next strong wind will have have this thing flying downtown.

As much as I want a larger Ku only dish (where I would put it is another story) I am going to pass on the small one and the large one is out of the question. Anyone want the address and/or contact info?

If you want to do the guy a favor, attack 'em with a sawzall and a grinder with a cutoff wheel.
Trash both NPRMs, if they're too much trouble to save.
Throw them, the cement blocks, AND that 8' dish OVER THE EDGE to a dumpster below.
You know that's what will happen if you don't!
And rescue just the 6' petal dish for yourself.
You'll be doing the guy a favor. - :up

Somebody around here has a Ku-only orthomode feed.
Find that and talk 'em out of it, and you can rule on Ku band! ;)

Could always wait until they do the remodel and see if they use a boom truck to haul the stuff to the roof. If they do, ask if they can take the 8ft dish down for you

One of our members (I think it was Linuxman) took charge of a big dish that had been craned off a building by some fools.
If I remember, it was a molded ChannelMaster or something like that.
They hooked onto the frame, and the cable damaged the dish during the lift.
I think he was only able to salvage the NPRM or mount, but the dish was hosed.

Walk away unless you have access to lifting equipment. I took a heavy 4 footer off a sloped metal roof by hand and released afterward that I took too much risk with my back and my life. Now I have access to a manlift for free for future removals. I can certainly tell that you are in the south with that metal dish pointed higher in the sky. That stand on the metal dish would be useless in the north because it is too short.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)