Are FoxNews and Dish Even Talking?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Look, there are a lot of older, conservative, non-tech folks out here who subscribe to Dish service. I am one of them . We don't want rebates or other free stuff, we just want this settled and Fox News back. Most of us will be patience for a while, but the time will come when a majority of us will seek other providers if we do not see progress. I have been with Dish for 15 years and would hate to leave, but I will if that is what I have to do to watch what I want.
Why does there have to be so much drama in something so simple as tv programing?
Because Fox wants to renege on contracts and force rate increase that they already have in place by using FNC as a hostage and you think this is justifiable?
I am not a Charlie fan actually I am a critic of many of his business practices but I will support him on this battle.

I've been back with Dish for just under a year after having gone to DirecTV for about 10 years. As much as I would like to have FNC back, the only other options in my area (Comcast and DirecTV) aren't even close to options anymore. I may have to find some other way to get FNC, but I certainly won't be leaving Dish.

Reactions: 356B and KAB
Because Fox wants to renege on contracts and force rate increase that they already have in place by using FNC as a hostage and you think this is justifiable?
I am not a Charlie fan actually I am a critic of many of his business practices but I will support him on this battle.
I am not saying either one is wrong or right, only that I want to see it settled sooner rather than later.

Reactions: papachops

LOL. That's just Charlie-spin. Don't believe it. If Fox were doing anything illegal or even unethical , Dish would have filed a lawsuit or referred this to AG Eric Holder by now. Obama and Holder hate Fox News and they would love to get them in trouble.

LOL. That's just Charlie-spin. Don't believe it. If Fox were doing anything illegal or even unethical , Dish would have filed a lawsuit or referred this to AG Eric Holder by now. Obama and Holder hate Fox News and they would love to get them in trouble.
Fox already tired it before when they rebranded channels with new content.

Just talked to a local Dish installer, he is worried, he would not give a number but said he has more take downs next week and that Rob Lowe would probably get a raise. (lol) at that one. He knows the clientele of this area and says no doubt about it Charlie must come to an agreement with Fox or I would not be seeing Dish trucks near as frequently. Thank goodness for all the other options coming soon from broadband TV sources,(if only for the communities with broadband) should give people more choices for their desired type of programming, cheaper also.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Just talked to a local Dish installer, he is worried, he would not give a number but said he has more take downs next week and that Rob Lowe would probably get a raise. (lol) at that one. He knows the clientele of this area and says no doubt about it Charlie must come to an agreement with Fox or I would not be seeing Dish trucks near as frequently. Thank goodness for all the other options coming soon from broadband TV sources,(if only for the communities with broadband) should give people more choices for their desired type of programming, cheaper also.
You talked to one local Dish Installer, in a rural area, and he is the judge for the rest of Dish's 14.082 million customers? Interesting, he must get paid VERY well. I have talked with many customers here in Phoenix Arizona, and they don't care, and half didn't even know the channel went down. I still will not use them as a reference, as they do not even make up a percent of the customer base....The one I will use, is the multiple call center reps, including the loyalty team, that I am friends with that tell me it is a crappy time, but as far as takedowns go, it actually is not that bad... And those are just the calls they are taking... There are a few fanatics, but the facts are, Fox's top show has 2.72 million viewers, as of the last report I saw(admittedly was from Jan 2014), and that was the O'Reilly Factor. Thsoe 2.72 million were from all tv providers, not just Dish. If you were to add up the 280 million Pay TV viewers in the US, then fraction out Dish's portion of that market, by the 2.72 million tuning into their most watched show....Then you will understand why what you are saying is utterly ridiculous. Dish will lose a couple hundred thousand, if the VAST majority of Fox fans left.. They will also pick up a couple 10000 viewers that are fanatically anti Far Right... Their Churn, will be alittle higher then normal, but nowhere near the numbers you are portraying. Also, a lot of customers are happy with sports(The competitor does not have Pac-12 still IIRC, and Dish still offers the lowest price, so They do not care if one of their many channels are missing. Fox's reports support this. Fox reported only 146K customers reported to Dish(this number may have increased, but still in the 100k range), as their devoted staff. Reasonable Guarantee that the customers that reported directly to Dish, also were included in the 146K customers being used as pawns by Fox.

Reactions: eurosport
You talked to one local Dish Installer, in a rural area, and he is the judge for the rest of Dish's 14.082 million customers? Interesting, he must get paid VERY well. I have talked with many customers here in Phoenix Arizona, and they don't care, and half didn't even know the channel went down. I still will not use them as a reference, as they do not even make up a percent of the customer base....The one I will use, is the multiple call center reps, including the loyalty team, that I am friends with that tell me it is a crappy time, but as far as takedowns go, it actually is not that bad... And those are just the calls they are taking... There are a few fanatics, but the facts are, Fox's top show has 2.72 million viewers, as of the last report I saw(admittedly was from Jan 2014), and that was the O'Reilly Factor. Thsoe 2.72 million were from all tv providers, not just Dish. If you were to add up the 280 million Pay TV viewers in the US, then fraction out Dish's portion of that market, by the 2.72 million tuning into their most watched show....Then you will understand why what you are saying is utterly ridiculous. Dish will lose a couple hundred thousand, if the VAST majority of Fox fans left.. They will also pick up a couple 10000 viewers that are fanatically anti Far Right... Their Churn, will be alittle higher then normal, but nowhere near the numbers you are portraying. Also, a lot of customers are happy with sports(The competitor does not have Pac-12 still IIRC, and Dish still offers the lowest price, so They do not care if one of their many channels are missing. Fox's reports support this. Fox reported only 146K customers reported to Dish(this number may have increased, but still in the 100k range), as their devoted staff. Reasonable Guarantee that the customers that reported directly to Dish, also were included in the 146K customers being used as pawns by Fox.
Give it a week and call your buddies back, 146 thousand is nothing compared to what is coming. Charlie and the Dish Dealers posting here are missing the boat. Most of the subscribers that like Fox news are gentlemen/women and will give it a week or two to settle, then look out, heads will be rolling if no return of Fox. 146k already raising cain with Dish. If this goes on for much longer look for them to be crawling out of the woodwork. Never seen this kind of ruckus before, even when Dish lost CNN. If Dish looses Fox for good, you can bet on loosing a million or two subscribers. The 200k you stated is way off the mark and a bad estimate by Dish people. Just like post # 60 in this thread quoted below, they are giving Dish time to negotiate.
No carrier can not afford to lose the top rated news channel.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/23/cable-news-ratings-for-monday-december-22-2014/342453/

Papa47
Look, there are a lot of older, conservative, non-tech folks out here who subscribe to Dish service. I am one of them . We don't want rebates or other free stuff, we just want this settled and Fox News back. Most of us will be patience for a while, but the time will come when a majority of us will seek other providers if we do not see progress. I have been with Dish for 15 years and would hate to leave, but I will if that is what I have to do to watch what I want.

Last edited:
Give it a week and call your buddies back, 146 thousand is nothing compared to what is coming. Charlie and the Dish Dealers posting here are missing the boat. Most of the subscribers that like Fox news are gentlemen/women and will give it a week or two to settle, then look out, heads will be rolling if no return of Fox. 146k already raising cain with Dish. If this goes on for much longer look for them to be crawling out of the woodwork. Never seen this kind of ruckus before, even when Dish lost CNN. Just like post # 60 in this thread quoted below.

Papa47
Your math skills are terrible.

There is no substitute for Fox news, the rabid viewers of Fox news have no other network news to turn to, With the CNN viewers they can always turn to HLN, MSNBC, ALJAZERA, RT, etc.. Fox news viewers will leave carriers that do not carry Fox news. Might be a hard lesson for Dish.

Reactions: Mark609
There is no substitute for Fox news, the rabid viewers of Fox news have no other network news to turn to, With the CNN viewers they can always turn to HLN, MSNBC, ALJAZERA, RT, etc.. Fox news viewers will leave carriers that do not carry Fox news. Might be a hard lesson for Dish.
Foxnews.com. Even hughesNet will allow it. Can't stream, but can continue to get your 'fair and balanced' news.

Foxnews.com. Even hughesNet will allow it. Can't stream, but can continue to get your 'fair and balanced' news.
Only live Fox news will satisfy your typical Fox news junky.

I don’t think you can fully capture the value Fox News brings by looking at the Nielsen ratings alone,” said Craig Moffett, the longtime financial analyst who specializes in cable. Mr. Moffett, who heads his own firm, said that the key to Fox News’s continued financial strength has been “the level of passion and engagement” it inspires in its viewers.

That translates into big money because cable systems now pay Fox News one of the highest per-subscriber fees in television, 94 cents a month, topped in cable television only by a few networks, most of which have expensive sports rights to pay. (By comparison, CNN gets 57 cents a subscriber, according to SNL Kagan Research.) As Mr. Moffett put it, “There are a handful of networks consumers are deeply passionate about out of all proportion to Nielsen ratings, and distributors know if you don’t have those networks, then woe be to you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/b...n-pays-for-fox-news.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&
Chad, what is your honest opinion as to who will be forced to cave in on this dispute? I do not look for Fox to concede very much, if any. Do you think Charlie will take one for the team?

Only live Fox news will satisfy your typical Fox news junky.
Chad, what is your honest opinion as to who will be forced to cave in on this dispute? I do not look for Fox to concede very much, if any. Do you think Charlie will take one for the team?
Simple answer. Both. When they both need eachother, is when they both will cave to one another's demands.

Reactions: Elkview

Just to clarify - when Dish caves, it's not Charlie who gets nailed - its all of US who send them a payment every month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lue, call Echostar/Dish corporate headquarters on Monday morning, you have such insight into this, I am sure that Charlie Ergen and Joe Clayton will be glad to fly you out to Denver to help with these negotiations. Especially since you seem to know more than the both of them and their legal, marketing, and financial staff.
Are you even a Dish sub? If so,why haven't you switched yet? On the waiting list to get on DirecTV since everyone is switching so fast?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)