Are FoxNews and Dish Even Talking?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Fox has the upper hand. If Dish does not return Fox, I feel there will be a few million susbcriptions lost as well as a 50% loss in new subscribers. Fox knows this and will not retreat too far on their demands. It's not just about Fox news, it comes down to peoples values Liberal versus Conservative, Conservatives will leave in the millions with no fox news! Charlie has to lick Foxes boots.
Baloney!

I think Dish has the upper hand, because Charlie doesn't have to pay them if Fox News is not on the air, plus Fox is losing a potential 14 Million viewers which is not seeing their advertisement. I also think Charlie will eventually lose a couple hundred thousands viewers.

I know that not having FNC will have an impact on the decision to have Dish or a competitor, but I don't think it will be the final factor for all that many people.

Reactions: ChadT41
Fox has the upper hand. If Dish does not return Fox, I feel there will be a few million susbcriptions lost as well as a 50% loss in new subscribers. Fox knows this and will not retreat too far on their demands. It's not just about Fox news, it comes down to peoples values Liberal versus Conservative, Conservatives will leave in the millions with no fox news! Charlie has to lick Foxes boots.
if that was true the dispute would be over (i.e.CBS)

Wholeheartedly agree on FXX. And paying $800 million for some dusty old Simpson reruns?

I am not a Dish fanboy by any stretch - in fact, I am one of their strongest critics . . . but the more I hear about this whole situation, the more sympathetic I am to Ergen's position. Sounds like a bunch of BS which may be indirectly about the Hopper than anything else. FOX lost the lawsuit so it's time to throw a fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The marathon they had doubled their originals and was 10x the amount of viewers they had before. It was money well spent.

Faux News only has 2-3 million viewers...I doubt they all have Dish...

Are you sure you are not confusing ESPN and Fox News? :)

Reactions: ChadT41
An observation.

Dish has made a website link available so you can leave a comment, your comment, positive or negative.

Fox has a link to send a message to Dish. They don't want to hear from you. So much for Fox's transparency.

I live in a rural/farming area, most any farm shop you go into has fox news playing all day, I asked aprox. 8 people at a Christmas function if their Fox news does not return in a couple of weeks would they leave Dish. All 8 said yes. This is just as serious as voting for President for these people. Charlie will have to cave on this one and Soon.

Reactions: mitchflorida
I live in a rural/farming area, most any farm shop you go into has fox news playing all day, I asked aprox. 8 people at a Christmas function if their Fox news does not return in a couple of weeks would they leave Dish. All 8 said yes. This is just as serious as voting for President for these people. Charlie will have to cave on this one and Soon.
Eight? All of them? Wow, that could be a game changer. :biggrin2

I think Dish has the upper hand, because Charlie doesn't have to pay them if Fox News is not on the air, plus Fox is losing a potential 14 Million viewers which is not seeing their advertisement. I also think Charlie will eventually lose a couple hundred thousands viewers.

Dish has been handing out $5-$15 x 3 month credits left and right, so there goes that argument.

Someone who works at Dish told me that it costs $800 to acquire and install a brand new customer. That sounds on the high side, but these cancellations are killing Dish, I think. Once they leave they don't come back for a few years if ever. Plus Fox doesn't have to answer all the phone calls and complaints, Dish does and it costs them $1 a minute when you talk to a CSR. It really adds up.

Eight? All of them? Wow, that could be a game changer. :biggrin2
Fact is, if you look at a political map of the US, most all of the states in between the coast are red states, rural satellite tv only areas, just the way people vote and get their news in these areas, Charlie has no way out here, this will be resolved within a week or two. No doubt at all that Dish will lose a few million subscribers if not.

Fact is, if you look at a political map of the US, most all of the states in between the coast are red states, rural satellite tv only areas, just the way people vote and get their news in these areas, Charlie has no way out here, this will be resolved within a week or two. No doubt at all that Dish will lose a few million subscribers if not.
If you are rural, how are you going to move to IP based delivery next year when all of the MVPDs are gone? Or are you one of the lucky few rural dwellers that can get fast broadband that can handle IP delivery?
Also, there are a lot of suburban areas that have DBS subscribers. And, not ALL parts of "red" states are rural, Metro Birmingham accounts for over 25% of Alabama's population, Metro Huntsville about 18-20%, and Alabama is a VERY red state.

Reactions: Nominal and ChadT41

You must be smoking some good stuff. Fox only has a few million viewers, I guess they are all Dish customers. Will Dish lose some customers? Yes, Will it be more than their normal quarterly churn? NO.

If you are rural, how are you going to move to IP based delivery next year when all of the MVPDs are gone? Or are you one of the lucky few rural dwellers that can get fast broadband that can handle IP delivery?
Also, there are a lot of suburban areas that have DBS subscribers. And, not ALL parts of "red" states are rural, Metro Birmingham accounts for over 25% of Alabama's population, Metro Huntsville about 18-20%, and Alabama is a VERY red state.
Rural areas have small towns 2000-10,000 population some with fast internet. The majority of installed satellite dishes are in rural areas. Roll Tide and Sweet Home Alabama as red of a state as you can get, look at the county political map of the Huntsville area and you will be seeing RED, just the way it is.
http://politicalmaps.org/2004-presidential-election-maps/

Rural areas have small towns 2000-10,000 population some with fast internet. The majority of installed satellite dishes are in rural areas. Roll Tide and Sweet Home Alabama as red of a state as you can get, look at the county political map of the Huntsville area and you will be seeing RED, just the way it is.
http://politicalmaps.org/2004-presidential-election-maps/
Lue, you are starting to make this thread political, which will surely sink it. So, please give it a rest.

Look, there are a lot of older, conservative, non-tech folks out here who subscribe to Dish service. I am one of them . We don't want rebates or other free stuff, we just want this settled and Fox News back. Most of us will be patience for a while, but the time will come when a majority of us will seek other providers if we do not see progress. I have been with Dish for 15 years and would hate to leave, but I will if that is what I have to do to watch what I want.
Why does there have to be so much drama in something so simple as tv programing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)