Are HD DVD Players Shipping 3/28?

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
There are too many threads and pieces with all the delays but can someone confirm that the HD DVD players are shipping 3/28 or are they going to delay and have them coincide with the HD DVD titles mid-April?

They are shipping 3.28

I confirmed with my retailer value electronics, my Xa-1 is shipping on 3.28.2006. It will be quite the official launch with all the hype and hoopla is mid april, buy you will quietly get your unit.

So the release of BR will only be about 2 months after HD-DVD. I wonder how well they'll sell before the end of year holiday buying season? Does anyone know where unit sales figures will likely be made available?

My Sears store amazing had one on display and it was really fun to play with it.

Actually at first the TV it was hooked to has showing a fussy analog coazil demo loop.

Then I switched it to the DVD player watched it a bit and then had fun watching some guys come over and trying to figure out how that picture was playing from a DVD player ;)

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=16613

Friday, March 24, 2006
Toshiba Confirms Delay of HD DVD's Until April

Toshiba's U.S. unit may delay the launch of its next-generation DVD player for several weeks to coincide with the April debut of movies that play in the new HD DVD format, the company said on Thursday.

"Toshiba is currently working with the studios as well as our retailers, to finalize the sale date of our players," the company said in a statement. In order to maximize the launch of HD DVD, we intend to synchronize the launch of our players with HD DVD title releases."

Last week, Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Home Video said it would release its first titles, including "Million Dollar Baby," and "The Phantom of the Opera," on April 18.

By contrast, Sony Pictures has said it aims to deliver its first movies in the Blu-ray DVD format to U.S. stores in late May to coincide with the entry of compatible disc players, from makers like Samsung.

Toshiba's first generation HD DVD players will conform to the AACS interim specifications, a feature that manages the content stored on HD DVD and Blu-Ray prerecorded and recorded optical media for PCs and CE devices. Note that the device will not require an internet connection to playback HD DVD video titles.

I saw this too. No biggie. I dont want the unit if I cant actually view any HD DVD's. I cant imagine BluRay is gonna be on time too.

Anybody taking bets for an 11th hour deal between the camps that kills the HD-DVD format? After all the PS3 doesn't launch until November so there's still time.

GeorgeLV said:
Anybody taking bets for an 11th hour deal between the camps that kills the HD-DVD format? After all the PS3 doesn't launch until November so there's still time.

It looks like both blu-ray and hd-dvd are toast... I predict that these first players will be the last single format, and by the end of the year only multiformat players will appear. Once someone releases the multiformat player no one will be able to sell the single format. Discs will then be release in whatever format the studio wants to make them in.

My personal prediction would be that at first there will be more HD-DVD, but then blu-ray would slowly catch up and pass them, just because Sony has more titles under its control. Consumers would not care since their players will play both formats. I doubt that studios would bother releasing in both formats if they know the players will play both.

mike123abc said:
My personal prediction would be that at first there will be more HD-DVD, but then blu-ray would slowly catch up and pass them, just because Sony has more titles under its control. Consumers would not care since their players will play both formats. I doubt that studios would bother releasing in both formats if they know the players will play both.
You prediction makes some sense, but don't you think the studios, looking to maximize profits, would chose the format with the least start up price? It will cost an estimated $1.2 million per line more for conversion to blue ray. So if there are dual format players I think the studios would chose the product with the greatest profit potential. It makes more economic sense to go with HD DVD.

You're forgetting capacity differences. Ways of using all available space, and then some, always arise. I expect that if 1080 60p movies are really produced, BR will clearly shine with it's greater capacity- longer movie, more trailers, "the making of" and behind the scenes stuff, more fancy commercials -er, informational messages.

Companies spending billions per year to make movies aren't terribly concerned about a million or so on a production line. The line will run for many years and the costs will spread over many units.

navychop said:
You're forgetting capacity differences. Ways of using all available space, and then some, always arise. I expect that if 1080 60p movies are really produced, BR will clearly shine with it's greater capacity- longer movie, more trailers, "the making of" and behind the scenes stuff, more fancy commercials -er, informational messages.

Warner's HD DVDs are already 1080p. This capacity (dual layer?) you talk about is not proven yet. BD dual layer higher capacity is still in the scientific stages. The proximity of the data to the reading source is causing problems.

Companies spending billions per year to make movies aren't terribly concerned about a million or so on a production line. The line will run for many years and the costs will spread over many units.

Were talking about 600 production lines (600 * 1.7million = 1 trillion!!!). Doesn't sound like chump change to me.

It sounds like you're a sony fan. Maybe you should read this link. http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/next-gen-dvd.ars

I always found it weird that capacity is such an argument or at least civil debate for some. I find that 15,20,25 GB is just fine and if the movie spills to a second disc, so be it. I know it adds cost especially at beginning of a new product rollout but what is it, 15 cents for current DVDs to manufacture? HD DVDs given what has been promoted should be cheap to make in a few years so whats the big deal if something like 1080p 60p is used and it takes 2 HD DVD's for the movie? Part 1, Part 2 for a high end (maybe longer 2 hours) movie sounds fine to me.

Guys, let's not turn every single thread into which-format-is-better fight! ;)

Back to the original topic of this thread: it is March 28 today and it looks like there will be no HD DVD shipments for another couple of weeks at least...

Weird. I thought this was one of the tamest discussions I've seen. I guess things go off in tangents when there are NO HD DVD or BluRay players or software out there. I blame both for delaying and making us take about useless stuff to fill the time.

Brewer4 said:
Weird. I thought this was one of the tamest discussions I've seen.
Just to clarify: Nothing against discussions or even heated (but civilized) debates between format proponents! (C'est la guerre!) ;)
Even single-sided and clearly biased opinions are welcome in this forum and make for fun reading. :)
I am pretty sure that most of our forum members and visitors have not yet taken sides in the Format War and are interested in hearing all arguments from all sides. But it would just make everyone's life easier if these discussions were held under accordingly titled threads, so it would be easier to find them. That's all I am asking about. :D

Well, I feel compelled to make one more post on the previous, since the comments are already in this thread it would be best to finish it in this thread.

BR single layer capacity is greater than HD-DVD single layer capacity. Dual, triple, etc would just be icing on the cake, for either format.

I despise Sony. The root kit was the last straw. But I still believe they are the likely winners. I mostly just want there to BE a winner, or assurance both will be available for the long haul.

Now, regardless of response or none, I'll return to topic and stay there.

I gather no one has rec'd notice of anything shipping today, right?
But the delay is pretty meaningless, since the pre-recorded discs aren't out yet. We need people to post here that they've rec'd shipping notice & when, and that they've rec'd actual units. Please.

I think the units are ready to go and ship. I think they are just sitting waiting for software release. So the moment HD DVD titles are ready, they will ship. Mid-April is what I read.

It would be nice if they used the time to make that firmware upgrade. What was that again, anyway? Dolby upgrade?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)