Are HR-20's Portable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I have an HD-DVR (HR-20) upstairs in my main TV viewing quarters.

I have an HD-Receiver (H-20) in the theater (basement) where I primarily watch movies and live sports.

Most of the time, I don't don't miss the DVR functionality based on what we use the HT for, but on certain occasions it sure would be nice to have in that room. The problem is:

A) The room is complete with only 1 coaxial cable wall input. (Ie. 1 feed only, while HD-DVR's require 2).
B) The SWM install isn't available in my area yet.
C) I don't want to spend more $$ on an additional HD-DVR.

My question is, does the HR-20 have the ability to be "portable"? I want to record something on the HR-20 upstairs and bring it downstairs to the HT and watch something on the DVR. Or does the HR-20 need that second cable to retrieve the data on the DVR?

Thanks in advance.

Sure...the DVR's are fully portable within your home. Record where you want, then move it to another room. The DVR only REQUIRES a second line if you want to record two things at once. With only one supply line, only one tuner will engage and so if you are okay with that, and don't have any recording time conflicts, you are all set.

Sure...the DVR's are fully portable within your home. Record where you want, then move it to another room. The DVR only REQUIRES a second line if you want to record two things at once. With only one supply line, only one tuner will engage and so if you are okay with that, and don't have any recording time conflicts, you are all set.

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the quick responses guys. Reason why I ask, is that there are a few HD movies that I am anticipating seeing this weekend during the free trial. Most notably, both Grindhouse flicks on Starz HD. And I'd hate to be restricted to watching on a 42" plasma, when I would rather enjoy on an HD front projector with a 92" screen.

Hmmm. That got me thinking, maybe I could go ahead and replace the H20 with an HR-20. This would avoid me having to deal with the hassle of "moving" the upstairs HR-20 back and forth. Yeah, I would technically be limiting the ability to record 2 events at once (1 supply line downstairs), but this would give me the ability to have the DVR functionality none the less, which I am missing out on now. I don't watch much TV down there besides sports anyways. If I had the ability to record a few HD movies in the meantime, that would be great. Plus, once the SWM install is more widespread in my area, I would be all set.

Anything else I'm missing out on by only connecting the HR-20 to one supply line only?

Yeah, I thought of the running additional HDMI/Component and Toslink, but unfortunately, I would need a longer run of 100'.

The additional HR-20 will be the way to go. Now I get to test my sales skills by pleading my case to an CSR to get my a new one for cheap! ;)

Yeah, I thought of the running additional HDMI/Component and Toslink, but unfortunately, I would need a longer run of 100'.

The additional HR-20 will be the way to go. Now I get to test my sales skills by pleading my case to an CSR to get my a new one for cheap! ;)

HD,
If you decide to do the moving thing from one floor to the other, make sure that the single line you are using goes into "Tuner 1", not Tuner 2, Tuner one will work fine, I think if you happen to put it in Tuner 2 it will fail the boot up process.

Jimbo

HD,
If you decide to do the moving thing from one floor to the other, make sure that the single line you are using goes into "Tuner 1", not Tuner 2, Tuner one will work fine, I think if you happen to put it in Tuner 2 it will fail the boot up process.

Jimbo

Will do. Thanks for the tip Jimbo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)