Are those rubber gaskets on LNB satellite ports required for a better install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I just received a replacement 4 port LNB and and none of the ports have those rubber gaskets around the satellite input.

Should I be trying to purchase replacements before I get it installed? Does it make a difference? I suppose they are there for a reason although years ago they didn't include them.

Any other recommendations for weather proofing for harsh conditions?

Those keep water and moisture out. Otherwise your connections will eventually corrode (even slightly can do it) and one day you have no TV. If you can't find them get some dielectric grease. It does the same thing if not better.

I can't tell you how many techs pull them off on the LNB, me included. The odds of them connections getting corroded are pretty slim. We've actually had more connectors go bad in them because the hold the water next to the connection. Seems weird but true. If you put the connector on with 30 lbs of torque you're fine

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: bunk23
I replaced lots of ground blocks, multiswitches and connectors on service calls that killed systems from corrosion. Not one had the rubber boots installed. As I recall at least with one provider these are supposed to be required but that they often were not installed did not shock me. 75% of the "techs" could barely aim a dish let alone follow best practices or do a job right. It has been a long time but I don't recall a requirement to have boots/weatherseals on the LNBF. At least it is inside the LNB arm so has some protection.

I leave them on new installs since they come with the lnb but if it's an upgrade or service call and they are missing I don't go out of my way to replace them. Unless the whole lnb needs to be replaced of course.

I leave them on new installs since they come with the lnb but if it's an upgrade or service call and they are missing I don't go out of my way to replace them. Unless the whole lnb needs to be replaced of course.

If it's in the arm of the dish it gets removed but oddly, if there's a barrel in the arm I run a new drop. Seems to make sense lol

I just can't, it's the easiest thing to replace. It's a simple 20 minute job that pretty much the entire system relies on

I don't like messing with dielectric grease, but it's about the best weather proofing there is. Needs to be applied directly on the stinger & for added measure coat the threads.

That along with being torqued & weather boots or thread protectors it should be good for a very long time.

On the Hughesnet systems they require you to take pictures of many aspects of the installation. One of the requirements is to have those rubber gaskets on the lnb (or a rubber sleeve that goes over it) and to have dielectric grease applied to the inside of the connector going to the lnb port. A picture of this is required or you do not get paid. This is also required on the ground block if it is located outside. All outside connections require weather boots/rubber gaskets (gromets) and dielectric grease. They are also required to have 20 lbs per inch of torque applied but only finger tightened connection on the inside.

Some of the older installations had seal tape applied to the outside of the lnb port and ground block connections going over the cable ends. The receive cable would have red tape on it. They are no longer allowing this as of the end of August requiring the rubber grommet gaskets with dielectric grease instead. They insist on it being used enough to giving the installers a tube of the dielectric grease, ground block with the gaskets already on them and an extra gasket for the lnb (radio) in a bag on every dish kit they sell.

I just received a replacement 4 port LNB and and none of the ports have those rubber gaskets around the satellite input.

Should I be trying to purchase replacements before I get it installed? Does it make a difference? I suppose they are there for a reason although years ago they didn't include them.

Any other recommendations for weather proofing for harsh conditions?
Don't like them( weather boots) In my experience, they tended to trap moisture on the ports and eventually into the ports.
I started using dielectric gel which does a great job keeping the moisture out.

Reactions: Hutch1814
Status
Please reply by conversation.