Are we ever going to see External Storage for 622?

Im curious... just for kicks I wonder what a DVR would see if it were hooked up to a hub instead of to a drive. And then 4 drives were hooked up to the hub. Im sure it would complain somehow. But it would make things interesting.

Im curious... just for kicks I wonder what a DVR would see if it were hooked up to a hub instead of to a drive. And then 4 drives were hooked up to the hub. Im sure it would complain somehow. But it would make things interesting.

A hub would not be recognized by any device looking for a HD. So the hub would never get to the point to introduce the devices plugged into it to the host.

The new MPEG4 encoding process sure extends the internal storage capacity of the 622. I recorded 54 minutes of a StarZ HD movie tonight and the 622 storage timer reduced the remaining minutes by only 18.

At one time they were talking about doing the conversion of all HD in 2007.

I guess that's another item delayed.

Don't bet on it being delayed. E* is not beyond surprising us with very little lead time on dramatic changes. Look at how fast the 942 was partially obsolesed (sic) with the MPEG4 announcement.

They could declare the discontinuance of VOOM for all non-MPEG4 receivers, as of 7/1/07 or 10/01/07 and then convert all of those channels. That can't be very many subs affected. A lot of 811s and 921/942s have been upgraded and I would think a fair amount of those still content with the old HD tier didn't bother to sub to VOOM.

That would allow them to convert all but what, the 5 HD channels in the old HD Pack?

Oh joy. But if they were to discontinue all HD in one swoop, they'd need to have plenty of boxes ready to ship. Of course, your idea makes sense- spread out the conversion and the costs.

At one time they were talking about doing the conversion of all HD in 2007.

I guess that's another item delayed.
I can't help but think how VOOM DBS has planned to convert their HD channels to MPEG-4 in late 2005, and their SD channels in 2006.

Oh joy. But if they were to discontinue all HD in one swoop, they'd need to have plenty of boxes ready to ship. Of course, your idea makes sense- spread out the conversion and the costs.
I wonder what happend to all the 622/211s that failed due to the the HDMI problem. There may very well be an entire warehouse full of reconditioned 622/211s.

I wonder what happend to all the 622/211s that failed due to the the HDMI problem. There may very well be an entire warehouse full of reconditioned 622/211s.

They should repackage them as the 211NH and 622NH (no-HDMI) and put them out into the leasing program. Most people don't use the port. And I think a repair would require replacing the systemboard.

After all, E* customers are already used to having connections on the back of receivers that never do anything.

"...After all, E* customers are already used to having connections on the back of receivers that never do anything...."

:haha :haha :haha

"...After all, E* customers are already used to having connections on the back of receivers that never do anything...."

That comment is da BOMB!!:up

Ahhh... those were the days. Reminds me when the jump from 32K of RAM to 64 was a big deal. That and having two... count em'.. two 5 1/4 floppy drives. ;-)

My first home computer was an Atari 800. It had 48K of RAM, a cassette storage unit, and a 300 baud modem. And I was amazed by what it could do. It was much more advanced than the Commodore VIC-20 and Radio Shack Color Computer that were being sold in stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts