Are you approachable as a SatelliteGuy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ive got my children brainwashed (as my wife sais) we were driving by the upink center in Calgary and my son sais "wow look at the cool satellite dish's dad" it was a proud moment for me :)

As for neighbors I have people ask me all the time, when I tell them its the fun of the hunt to find news feeds they look at me perplexed. Its ok though, its not for everyone.

i live on the side of a highway and there are always cars passing by.
usually they will slow down if im out there pointing a dish (because of trees my best spot is right next to the road)
but ive never had anyone stop.
they probably think im crazy, im often out there pointing a dish at midnight or later::)
i think it would be cool to meet another satellite addict close by but i wont hold my breath till then;)

I haven't had anyone ask me about my dishes but the neighbors do stare whenever I'm outside aiming them. I've also created a youtube video about FTA and have received nearly 100 emails asking me for help. I give 'em all the info. they need and always try to put in a plug for satellite guys.

I have not had anyone ask me yet either. But I think it is cool when we are driving down the road and my wife goes looks honey there is one of those " birdseyes dishes " I just go wow that is a nice one there. She just can not remember I guess........

Guys I work with probably think i'm nuts for having so many larger dishes. I try to explain to them it's a hobby that I enjoy and they give me a weird look.

As soon as they find out that I don't receive all the main CATV networks (CNN, FOOD, TVLAND, AMC, TBS, etc) full time they are no longer interested.

Some call me a "TV Junkie" which gets me really upset, because I don't usually watch a lot of TV. I have the dishes mostly to experiment and to find new feeds. Some of my friends have a hard time believing this.

Hell, I'm PROUD to be a SatelliteGuys member and brag about it!!!!
With my setups one would think I am running a radio/tv station...
Or may end up being accused of being a spy!

Don't you know that's illegal?
If you can't get all of my favorite channels, why bother?
Ever heard of Dish Network?
Are you trying to contact aliens?

...and that is how GrumpyGuy got his name.

I was reading one of my son's Lawn and Garden Tractor collector magazines and spotted the contributor's dish farm behind his Wheelhorse "stable" he was building. At least four dishes beautifully setup out back. Multiple LNBF and toroidal dishes, a Bud and what appears to be a recycled commercial Andrews dish. Congrats if your a fellow member, I'd like to see more of it.

I believe that fellow is in Michigan, and is a good friend of mine...

To the OP, is it possible that it was a Satellite Guys member doing a dish hunt?
I've had all the questions/comments, "does that thing still work?" about my BUD, "how many channels do you get?", "are you using ALL those dishes?", "my neighbor is in to FTA, too bad it's down right now". And from the wife "can we watch the GOOD tv.....referring to pizza pan dish with a working guide":neener
She loves to bug me about my hobby but realizes that it keeps me happy and keeps me at home!

To the OP, is it possible that it was a Satellite Guys member doing a dish hunt?
I've had all the questions/comments, "does that thing still work?" about my BUD, "how many channels do you get?", "are you using ALL those dishes?", "my neighbor is in to FTA, too bad it's down right now". And from the wife "can we watch the GOOD tv.....referring to pizza pan dish with a working guide":neener
She loves to bug me about my hobby but realizes that it keeps me happy and keeps me at home!

I had to laugh when I read your post.. I hear those EXACT SAME comments all the time. "Does that thing still work?" and "my neighbor is into FTA, too bad it's down right now".

They always ask "What are you running?" when I tell them that my FTA didn't go down...

i live between LA & Disneyland off the I-5 and im pretty surprised that there's quite a few Sky Mexico dishes & C-Band in my area (i think there's a broker in the area). I've always been tempted to walk around and ask what bird they're looking at and what kinda programming they watch on it. Back in my old neighborhood, it was mostly pizza dishes and once i had met one resident who was remodeling a house with a Sky Mexico dish to see if i can salvage it.

I think it's entirely possible. Maybe the dishes made him curious. When I was out there a few years ago another older gentleman stopped and asked if I was a Ham. He spotted the CB groundplane antenna on the chimney behind the house from the road. He went on to tell me how he got started as a radioman in the navy in WWII. We talked about electronics for an hour. He invited me to come to a meeting their radio club sponsored from time to time. I think I still have his card.

I think it's entirely possible. Maybe the dishes made him curious. When I was out there a few years ago another older gentleman stopped and asked if I was a Ham. He spotted the CB groundplane antenna on the chimney behind the house from the road. He went on to tell me how he got started as a radioman in the navy in WWII. We talked about electronics for an hour. He invited me to come to a meeting their radio club sponsored from time to time. I think I still have his card.

You should go, and see if anyone is interested in an FTA demo. If anyone likes to listen to shortwave broadcasting, either for international news or for the fundamentalist crowd, they might be tired of the terrible propagation we've had for the past few years.

At first my neighbors thought i was some nutty professor LOL, then after they took the time to talk about it they realized fta was cool. I did explain first thing that i was doing nothing illegal or there was no hacking or stealing going on.

one of my neighbor is quite a hobbyist so i figure he will get into it soon, the other is a retired veteran who always complains about his cable LOL,, and threatens to get a c band system.
i tried to sell him on a w5 dsr 410 system.

most spectators can't see my dishes on the property because everything is behind a tall wood privacy fence. I had the cable guy working next door tell me "those don't work anymore" LOL

I guess maybe I am now :)

My neighbor came over and asked if I could check his pizza dish setup. In one room it doesnt work right. He can only get the same polarity as what is in the bedroom. Other side is flaky (heavy pixeling).....I know no splitters in the mix so I changed out a end outside and that didnt work. So we tried a new short cable and that didnt work. So tomorrow we have to rerun a new cable of about 100 feet but its dark out so thats tomorrow. The existing setup was a 100 foot cable from the dish to the back of the house then a short cable into the house

I did ghetto rig something for him. I happened to still have a DBS LNB on my Primestar aimed at 105W. So used that short cable to go from his "good" cable to the 101 LNB so he has TV in the main room. :)

Don't you love it when they know you're a SatelliteGuy and you keep getting the pizza dish service calls? :) Then they look at your dishes and say "But yours aren't pointed in the right direction, how do you get anything?!" :D

Yeah, they state that your dishes are not pointed in the right direction yet they STILL ask you for help with theirs!
That's as bad as people asking your advise and then telling you they want to do it their own way or that your way is "wrong" or "too expensive"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)