Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Welcome to SatelliteGuys Living On The Edge Forum!

This forum is dedicated to help DirecTV make better software for all!

Here you will find a more relaxed version of DBSTalk.COM's Cutting Edge Forum. Here you can learn about upcoming Cutting Edge releases and leave valuable feedback to the folks at DirecTV!

If you are interested in the Cutting Edge, we invite you to check out The Cutting Edge forum at DBSTalk.COM (requires valid DBSTalk membership) Earl, Tom and the gang have done a great job with their Cutting Edge Forum.

If you're not a DBSTalk member or you just prefer a more relaxed discussion of CE software releases then our Living on the Edge forum is for you.

Welcome to our Living on the Edge forum, here at SatelliteGuys.US!

I'm really glad to see this forum at Satellite Guys.

I have been doing the CE thing since the first one back in December.

I highly recommend understanding what you are getting into before you commit. It can be fun but there is a responsibility to share feedback and there could be risks.

I have done every one exept one. I have had to revert to the national release once, and once did not check at the last minute when they called it off and ended up going back to the national release.

Is the Cutting Edge name something someone made up to describe new software releases from Direct TV or is some official name that Direct TV has on thier releases? Are the CE releases different that what a regular user get?

Is the Cutting Edge name something someone made up to describe new software releases from Direct TV or is some official name that Direct TV has on thier releases? Are the CE releases different that what a regular user get?

The regular users get the National updates, ones that the sub has no choice with.
The CE updates come out more frequently and are used by D* with feedback from this site and dbstalk's site to determine changes and fixes needed BEFORE they will send out a National release.

I don't know if "Cutting Edge " is a name that dbstalk came up with, or if it's something that D* started calling it,seeing you are getting software updates early in essence you are beat testing for D* at your own risk.

Jimbo

Cutting Edge I think came from Directv. Its just a semi-public beta test release.

I wonder what beat testing is? Probably what you do to the box if it stops working.

It would be great if DirecTV gave a credit on the bills of those that are willing to "risk" our boxes on beta software. If there is a risk that the software could lock up our boxes, cause us to lose our recordings or whatever else can go wrong, (which there is), it would be nice to see a credit even if it's small or a free PPV movie. Just something. Anything.

I guess I haven't found anything fun to play with on the CE Software.. I just got my HR20-700 for the house two weeks ago and didn't get around to downloading the CE until last Friday. SO I went from 0168 to the 017d software. And there didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference and only two items in the secret menu that I can't really figure out anyway. I love the Media Share stuff but I assume that is in the national release anyway.. I have been a E* man at home for so many years and before I really got a chance to play with the HR20 I would have told everyone that it was really junk.. I have installed plenty of them. I just never really took the time to get to know one very well. I have seen that some of the HD Channels really are a lot sharper than the E* stuff when I switch back and forth from my 622. I can't wait for them to add some more channels.
In the IAMANEDGECUTTER menu I can't really tell what the FFW correction is supposed to be doing. It was enabled by default. But I really don't know what I should be looking for since I have only had my HR-20 for such a short time.

Anyway, I am coming to a epithpany that I have been wrong about D*. I am really impressed with the HR20-700. IF D* would start giving them away I would not have so much trouble pushing them to new customers. I think that D* is failing with there lack of promotion of these. Since E* gives their's away you think that D* would be following suit.. There are still some things I love about my Dish 622 that I find lacking in the HR-20.. And vice versa. But I am no longer of the mind set that the HR-20 is a failure. I just had to get used to it and now I can handle it pretty well..

The Remote on the other hand.... It won't work my Onkyo receiver worth a flip. But that's another story..

Mark, a lot of the time the CE releases are mainly fixes to problems reported by the CE testers. That's the main purpose of the CE's to get the code out to actual users to blast through it and report problems so they're fixed before going to national release. The autocorrection function is supposed to automatically back up the recording while fast forwarding to the spot where you really wanted to stop (to make up for the lag from when you see the scene to when you hit the button).

But there are some CE releases that do add something that's major, the media share function, the white GUI and enabling the ATSC OTA tuners are some that come to mind. The next item we're expecting to see in a CE is the new Video On Demand function that will use an internet broadband connection to download content to the HR20.

BTW, the remote does work, sort of, with my Onkyo 901, at least the functions I want (volumn/mute).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)