My First CE experience

tdenton1138

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
As I just recently switched to D* from E*, I haven't had any reason to explore this forum and discover that beta software is available for the -700.

I am currently downloading 01A6 and am somewhat excited to see what a beta can do.

I'll keep you posted as someone new to the experience... but my wife just came in and ... uh... later

Of course... I just got back to the set after the download and it appears I still have my favorite channels. I wasn't expecting that.

Enabled VOD without any problems.... Scanned through my channels looking for changes and discovered that USA is HD.. I presume I just missed that from a few days ago. Now I need to find a thread on the VOD function and see if I can get something going with that.

So far, so smooth

EDIT: It appears that I need to wait for VOD to populate? I get to this screen, expect I have no "Playlist Sort". Just VOD on and off.

Again, just remember, don't call any D* customer serv. reps about any of the beta testing, VOD, DOD or the CE process.
Post questions here or on DBSTalk.com.........

Enabled VOD without any problems.... Scanned through my channels looking for changes and discovered that USA is HD.. I presume I just missed that from a few days ago. Now I need to find a thread on the VOD function and see if I can get something going with that.

So far, so smooth

EDIT: It appears that I need to wait for VOD to populate? I get to this screen, expect I have no "Playlist Sort". Just VOD on and off.

Did you try clicking on the VOD button ?

Jimbo

First off, here's a CE newbie question: DOD = VOD, yes?

I did enable VOD (or was it DOD?) and after a time I had a list to programs available. I selected some random show and it started downloading right away. Am I correct that this comes in via the internet? My dsl modem seemed to indicate this, but it could have been something else getting an update I guess.

And finally, it appears that the whole VOD service is 'free'? I didn't run into any charge screens, so it appears that its just an added feature? Either way, it worked great for me.

So what else should I be looking for, if anything on the CE? Anything buried in there that I need to ferret out? I, of course, used the IWANTMYVOD, menu/info trick to enable VOD and have seen IAMCUTTINGEDGE here on the board, but that did not seem to work.

All is well on my end and I applaud those in charge of putting this release together. Now I just need FoodTV HD and FSAZ HD and I'll be good.

Well I just had my first lock-up. I was watching a recorded HD football game and at the end, hit 'stop'. The screen went black and that seems to be that. Nothing on the remote does anything. The box is currently recording mnf and I hate to interrupt it via reboot, but I may have no choice. It may not even still be recording...

hmmm... it is still outputting a 1080i signal. Just a black screen though. No response from the buttons on front either.

Guess its time to reboot.

Update: Rebooted fine. I think the game was supposed to stop recording 20 minutes ago, but the light was still on before I hit the magic red button... The record light was still on though...? Maybe that was a part of the problem somehow.

Well I just had my first lock-up. I was watching a recorded HD football game and at the end, hit 'stop'. The screen went black and that seems to be that. Nothing on the remote does anything. The box is currently recording mnf and I hate to interrupt it via reboot, but I may have no choice. It may not even still be recording...

hmmm... it is still outputting a 1080i signal. Just a black screen though. No response from the buttons on front either.

Guess its time to reboot.

Update: Rebooted fine. I think the game was supposed to stop recording 20 minutes ago, but the light was still on before I hit the magic red button... The record light was still on though...? Maybe that was a part of the problem somehow.

The same thing happened to me last night, my first lock up. I was watching the Yankee Indian game from my HR20. When it got to the end of the allotted recording time, it showed the "do you want to keep or delete" menu, but it wouldn't respond to the remote. I had to do an RBR.

I've had it locking up on me as well, this was while trying out the Music and Photos, now i was listening to music just fine by themselves, then i tried pictures by itself, just fine, then when i tried both together, slide show while listening to music (it was browsing thru pics just fine but no music, afterwards my remote wouldnt respond (i could still c live tv though) but remote just wasnt working... i was pretty much pissed about rebooting because of how it takes for the on demand list to generate and rebooting would mean waiting for it to be download but for a miracle the list remain...
Directv needs to add some sort of memory to store guides and small time information. so that you dont have to wait for the guide to load and show again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts