Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

Biggest disappointment I have so far with my new iphone 15 Pro Max is that shooting 3D Spatial video is not yet released. No time for when it will be coming to the iphone 15 Pro series. Also, while 3D video in several formats can be uploaded to YT for viewing on any 3D capable display, Apple claims that it will be displayed on their Apple Vision Pro HMD. They have not announced if it will be a proprietary format unique to that HMD. Simply allowing a side by side MP4 format would make it compatible to be viewed on any device including the iphone screen itself with a screen twin lens attachment.
IMG_2453.jpg

Reactions: Ilya
I shut it off as it is a waste of battery.
Energy consumption by the iPhone with always on display is rather negligible: 0.6-0.8% per hour! Here are some iPhone 14 Pro Max tests:

View: https://youtu.be/dG_2UHsE1jY

Don't need it with Apple Watch. Set all those things up and more just by looking at your watch with apps set in complications display.
I still carry my iphone and 99% of the time get it out of my belt holster only to use the camera.

In my case, I use the iPhone way more actively than the Watch, so having most important info on the lock screen is very convenient!

In my case, I use the iPhone way more actively than the Watch, so having most important info on the lock screen is very convenient!

Don't you use Face ID on your phone? Why are you looking at your phone in locked mode?

I do need to understand the advantage of widgets better.

I'm off to the Apple Store to find a tech person on my remaining bug on the Apple Wallet.

Don't you use Face ID on your phone? Why are you looking at your phone in locked mode?

I do need to understand the advantage of widgets better.
Just try it for a week and then decide if it works for you or not.

Last edited:
Just got back from the Apple store and the low level tech at the door was able to make Austin send something to my iphone to allow the WF CC to be deleted from the wallet. Only had it as a backup anyway. The tech support tried to call me but by strange coincidence I got three inbound calls at the same time so the Apple one went to VM. It's good the guy at the door was able to get it deleted because the next level support was a 3 hour wait and the line was packed all the way around the store. People with their new 15's and older iphones not having success. No surprise. I thanked the guy and told him he did what I needed done.

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
Well, I just got some bad news. Or maybe it’s good news. I am writing up a list of differences between the 15 Pro Max and my XS Max, and am leaning towards keeping my XS Max. But haven’t quite finished. The story about Apple switching to weak batteries has me spooked.

Just got word from Apple that they have already shipped it and it will arrive by the 16th.

MIXED feelings.

Is it too late to cancel?

If it arrives and I take it to the Apple Store unopened, will they refund me? They have charged me. I’m in a weak signal area and had to link to my wife’s 13mini 5G to connect to my credit union to check.

Any chance to apply for that $170 trade in credit at this late date? The plan was to replace my MiL’s iPhone 6 with the XSM so she could access a new app at her retirement home. But she hates the idea of that app, can access the info on her laptop, and is fearful of losing that button. Big time. 92 in about a month.

So I replaced the battery in my XSM for about $95, tax etc included, and it’s working fine. Is it even worth trading it in for essentially a $70 gain? Keep it as a spare? Sell it aftermarket?

Ideas? Yes, this is hand holding. Sorry.

I can’t honestly say it’s about the money.

There will not be an AW in my near future.

Your thoughts?

SIGH

<Secure the melodrama and stow it away.>

I previously read the XS series will likely be updated thru 2025. Now reading iOS 17 is likely the last update.

I previously read the XS series will likely be updated thru 2025. Now reading iOS 17 is likely the last update.
I'm not entirely convinced how important new releases are as long as they keep issuing security updates for the older releases (five major versions back). A few years after release, the old phones simply can't support some key new features or apps that require later releases.

Parts support is required for seven years.

The story about Apple switching to weak batteries has me spooked.
I wouldn't worry about it. The term "weak batteries" is pure opinion or maybe motivated by click bate hate. Also what Harshness said.

Plus, keep in mind the official reports that Apple has modified the 15 with an easier way to replace the battery, although I am not forgetting the special tools to pair it to the phone or just let Apple do it.

Meanwhile my 15PM is getting a normal loss of 7% in 7 hours using sleep mode. That's 4 days! But no phone calls. I did have that What's App app running as required to get shipment updates on my Meta Quest 3 order but I had a setting wrong and it would be polling every few seconds with some message. I figured out how to limit that to just meta quest messages and that fixed that battery drain.

Today I had a number of phone discussions and was on calls for 75 minutes. The battery went from 74% to 51% during that time. My old 11PM with 83% battery lasted about a long day so I was putting it on charge every night. If I had a busy day of using it as opposed to the AW, then it wouldn't make it through the day. Tesla app was the biggest user.

Hopefully these numbers will give you some idea how the 15PM battery holds up when new. .

The way the trade-in works when you order is Apple sends the trade-in kit with the order including a label for FedEX to return the old one after you reset and erase to factory. So you might have to ask at the Apple store if you can get some money turning it in to them. Good luck with that.

Reactions: navychop
Plus, keep in mind the official reports that Apple has modified the 15 with an easier way to replace the battery, although I am not forgetting the special tools to pair it to the phone or just let Apple do it.
The YouTube video that I watched suggests it absolutely isn't a snap. The only "improvement" is that the back glass is no longer attached with "permanent" adhesive in favor of a glue that you can melt.

For a grand, you think they could use some nice gaskets and some sort of locking system.

Reactions: TheForce
The YouTube video that I watched suggests it absolutely isn't a snap. The only "improvement" is that the back glass is no longer attached with "permanent" adhesive in favor of a glue that you can melt.

For a grand, you think they could use some nice gaskets and some sort of locking system.
Haven't done one since my iphone 6S but the 15PM seems just as difficult as the 11PM. The special tools and programmer is just too much for me to buy as opposed to just paying Apple to do the repair. For curiosity only:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWoaSS7NkWU

I just came back from an AT&T store where I factory reset and surrendered my old 12 Pro Max for a $1,000 credit. The transition is now complete! :)
Were you able to get the 15PM with 512GB? My memory says they were only selling the base model.