Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

I waited a couple of days before wiping out and trading in my old phone. I went through every essential app on the new phone making sure everything worked and I could log in and such. Most settings transferred just fine. Only some apps required some work, most transferred without issues.

SIGH.

Do as I say, not as I did.

Phone said it was done. All Google tabs are there. Not so for Safari, apparently because I opened the app and entered SatGuys. Now I have 300+ tabs to go thru.

Or is there a way of selectively restoring just the Safari app, with its tabs?

Yes, I had to reestablish the Tesla connection, including BT. And set to primary, as old phone still listed. Both have same name, so not in any hurry to delete the old.

I don't know if I'm comfortable using facial recognition. I liked the thumbprint option several phones ago but they ditched it. What does the peanut gallery think?
In my experience, Face ID works better and is way more reliable than a fingerprint. It will quickly recognize me even if I am wearing a cap or glasses. There is even a "Face ID with a Mask" option, though I don't have that enabled.

And if you are concerned about your privacy, the Face ID data (not a picture, but some mathematical representation of your face) is stored and processed locally on the device, protected by Secure Enclave, it never leaves your device: it is not sent via the Internet, it is not backed up to iCloud. iPhone apps relying on Face ID for user authentication do not have access to your Face ID data, don't get to see you: they only get a confirmation from iOS that your face is recognized, that's all.

Reactions: david_jr
I don't know if I'm comfortable using facial recognition. I liked the thumbprint option several phones ago but they ditched it. What does the peanut gallery think?
I didn't like the facial recognition at first, was used to the fingerprint. However, I now much prefer it. It's much quicker and more accurate. My iPhone SE was constantly asking me to redo the fingerprint. Dry weather and certain types of work would make my prints unrecognizable.

Be aware, either can be used to open your phone even when you're unconscious. Don't let them take your phone with you to the mortuary. And, if you're concerned about your spouse accessing your texts, bank account, and phone records while you sleep, don't enable either method. :)

And, if you're concerned about your spouse accessing your texts, bank account, and phone records while you sleep, don't enable either method.

Face ID requires the eyes to be open, but that’s not enough: you need to be looking at the device, otherwise it won’t unlock it.

Reactions: Foxbat and david_jr
Facial recognition on iPhone works just fine. Has for years.

I did have trouble with an iPad Pro a couple years ago. Just didn't work for me, I think because I usually use an iPad in landscape mode so the camera was on the right side instead of the top. I ended up trading it in for the M1 iPad Air with a Touch ID sensor.

I use it and like it better than the finger print. More reliable except in very low light levels. While it can accept face masks (Covid thing) It doesn't like when I try to use it with my new MetaQuest3. The activation of the MQ3 requires access to the phone app when activating and wearing the MQ3 so that was a bit of a challenge. Just had to use the 6 number code. You will have that as a backup to the Face ID.

What a pain that the bookmarks don't transfer!! Everything you read says they do. Except they don't! I ended up sharing the ones I wanted to keep to my Gmail and opened them on the new phone. Tedious process. Think everything is working now. Am getting used to the facial recognition. Is definitely faster.

Loving the new USB C on the 15. Makes file transfers to and from thumb drives easy. Can also just plug in my iphone 15PM to my PC.

Still getting used to the new 15 PRO. Some of my contacts info got screwed up while I was setting initial setup. My new phone confused me with my son with the same name but with the III (3rd) suffix. So in my contacts and favorites my picture was in his and his picture was in mine fought with it for several days and then took it back to Verizon store and they couldn’t figure it out either suggested going to Apple Genius Bar. Was going to do that but I accidentally figured out how to fix it today while I was fiddling around with resetting my wife’s ringtones. For whatever reason her ringtones didn’t carry over from the old phone. Anyway saves me a 70 mile round trip to Apple Store. By the way I am LOVING facial recognition!! Can’t believe how fast it works. On an unrelated note, I have two, like new, iPhone 12 Otter Box Defender cases free to a good home just pay shipping. Only one belt clip though cuz one of the clips broke.

Learning to shoot and edit video 4K 60fps on the 15PM and the shooting was a bit of a challenge as compared to a real video camera. I have a lot to learn.
The shoot was at my grandson's baseball game. Had to shoot through a chain link fence near home plate. The raw video was simply stunning but fighting the fence kept taking the autofocus out and ruining the panning from home plate to first base. Finally got one clip that was worth looking at. Also the image stabilization was amazingly good even in a pan-zoom move to first base.

The next challenge was simple editing the opening and closing to tighten up and remove the out of focus junk. I first tried to export the mov file to adobe Premiere Pro by connecting the iphone to my PC. However, I was not happy with the quality of the render as it degraded the video from what I saw on the iphone. Decided to look into editing the raw in the iphone first and then transferring the final clip to the PC for archiving. Converting iMovie format to an MP4 or MOV compatible file was also a challenge. They sure don't make this stuff easy. I saw where iMovie can export to another app called FileSharing that I used in the past. It did the conversion to an MOV file in about 6 seconds. Next to get it out of that app, I was given IP address to type into my browser and the video was transferred to my PC as a download folder location. I viewed the end result and the video was just as good quality as I saw from the original on the phone. It uploaded to my Facebook page but that video rather grainy due to Facebook compression. Still the quality was much better than anything I have done before.

The iphone performance was really good and didn't overheat even while in the video ready to record mode for about 2.5 hours. It did drain battery from 100% to 45%. I had a 10000mAh battery in my pocket just in case the phone got too low.

I really need to find a better way to process the video. Also need to find the right codec and color settings for this in Premiere Pro. For basic editing iMovie is OK as I don't plan on doing any special effects toktock style.

Tried to upload the clip but I'll have to post it to YT tomorrow. Satguys won't allow attachment here.

Reactions: Foxbat