Are you still satisfied with VOOM Part 2?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Voom has made some progress but it has also created some headaches for some folks. I believe the HD race has begun; both E* and D* have DVRs already in the market and it looks like D* (BravoHD+, plus others) will start to add more HD. VOOM DVRs is expected this fall but it is anyone's guess right now.

I think that if D* and E* equal HD coverage, and can get InHD, TNTHD, more premium in HD, FSN HD, I'd switch the Voom exclusives unfortunately become a non-factor (Rave, Rush, Worldsport, Animamia, and Fox FL HD would be missed in the house though). I could care less about east/west distant network feeds.

If 2005 rolls around and D* close to the HD Voom has, their DVR will make me switch, too bad they don't have a payment plan, but an HD-DVR would just be too nice. Yesterday was a prime example, there was a Marlins Game, the US Open, Monday Night Football, and CBS HD primetime all content I wanted too see and no DVR to record one and watch the other. As the Fall rolls around and more sports/shows start airing at the same time, DVR-lessness will hurt more.

Voom should keep people informed with DVR info and I think that having posted "DVR Soon!" for several months starts giving people doubts after a while. I want Voom to succeed badly and keep expanding it's HD coverage but if it stalls and remains EXACTLY the same as it is now while D* grabs more HD channels with HD-DVR...

1) I won't be the only one leaving.

2) Voom would be at the verge of going out of business by this time anyway.

It all points up to the fact the VOOM has to spell out and communicate WTF is going on. Everyone has a breaking point and it is different on different issues for post. DVR, picture quality, SD selection etc. VOOM SPEAK!

Dvlos said:
there was a Marlins Game, the US Open, Monday Night Football, and CBS HD primetime all content I wanted too see and no DVR to record one and watch the other. As the Fall rolls around and more sports/shows start airing at the same time, DVR-lessness will hurt more.

I agree whole heartedly. The summer was easy to survive with no DVR, nothing was on but now it's going to hurt. And I'm willing to bet that both D* and E* will drop the price on their HD DVR's for the holiday season. If one of them looses their mind and offers a special to new customers for anywhere close to $500 or $600 I might have to abandon ship. As much as I love Voom having both Dish and Voom just for the DVR is hurting my pocket. :(

And trading Dish exclusives for a DVR is a no brainer.
But I'm pulling for Voom. C'mon guys get that DVR out this year! :yes

Excellent thread!

I too want Voom to succeed, but I am not going to continue to wait.
The deadline is the end of the year for many of us.

I hope voom is listening to the comments so far, these are not whiners, but supporters.... for now

The DVR is weighing heavy for me.

With the new fall season about to start, college and NFL HD football - I simply can't have TV dictate my life schedule.

The ability to timeshift and skip commercials is worth $$$ to me.

I have a commercial skipping resource right now, it's called Rush and Rave, how long can this last?

I'm thinking about leaving. I really want an HD DVR (which my cable co offers) and the STBs still crash too much for my liking. I have to wait until at least october though because I need fox sports world through the end of the australian rules football season..

It seems like all services have pros and cons though so I may stick around -- the deciding factor will probably be if I hear that the DVR is coming out.

Dvlos said:
I have a commercial skipping resource right now, it's called Rush and Rave, how long can this last?

Too bad CSI, Alias, 24, and HD football aren't on Rush or Rave. ;)

I think VOOm has made some improvments to the Cin 10...some movies that are to my liking have been on. I still like MonstersHD so compared to TWC in NY Voom cant do wrong in my eyes. TWC was so bad ...that it makes VOOM look like the end all of sat providers. Im here to stay.

I want the DVR but for me HD programming comes first. I wouldn't even consider D* or E* until they match up the premium HD channels VOOM has now (Starz, TMC, Max). Even if they do it, then it comes down to the Voom originals which I watch 30% of time (Cinema10, Monsters, Rush, Rave, Equator & HDNews). I suppose HDNet could make up for part of that, but not completely.
The channel additions that D* is planning mean nothing for me since I get HD locals OTA just fine.

I'll echo that I'm waiting for an affordable HD-DVR. My cableco won't have one of those for a few years, so it's between the DBSs. However, it's unlikely I'd ever switch to E*, given the compression problems people are talking about that have no relief in sight.

deArgila said:
Too bad CSI, Alias, 24, and HD football aren't on Rush or Rave. ;)

Speaking of Alias is this a good show? I keep hearing so much about 24, is it better than The Grid? I'm definately going to watch these shows when they come out this season in January, but is it so good like "OMG DVLOS RUN OUT AND WATCH THE EARLY SEASONS ON DVD" good?

Dvlos said:
Speaking of Alias is this a good show? I keep hearing so much about 24, is it better than The Grid? I'm definately going to watch these shows when they come out this season in January, but is it so good like "OMG DVLOS RUN OUT AND WATCH THE EARLY SEASONS ON DVD" good?

24 is definatley worth going and buying the pervios seasons. There is nothing else like it on tv

Interesting poll. I still have a few hardware/software glitches, and it's hard to adjust to the bare-bones and often inaccurate PG.

I think if D* came up with more HD, I'ld move in a heartbeat. I'm not all that thrilled with Voom so far, but I would definately say I am "satisfied" for the most part. I got the awesome PQ and great (IMHO) cheesy movies MonstersHD and Cinema10 offer. But I also got horrible installs, poor PG, and some software OTA problems that I really wasn't expecting. Coming from D* with a RCA DolbyDigital box, I hardly had any hardware/software problems, and the PG was excellent. If I could merge the two (Voom HD and D* PG/hardware), I would be a happy camper. :)

Just my thoughts...
-John

I voted option 2 though I am still unhappy with PQ for the most part. I am seriously considering selling my pj and getting a smaller TV. Dish is now screwing around with HDNET/HDNET Movies and they are getting very soft, so what's a guy to do?

DarrellP said:
IDish is now screwing around with HDNET/HDNET Movies and they are getting very soft, so what's a guy to do?
Really :eek: :shocked. HDNet on E* used to be the "reference HD series", maybe you should complain directly with Mark Cuban (mark@hd.net)

Wait for HD-DVD, and keep bitching for more bandwidth, someone's gotta give it.

Walter L. said:
Really :eek: :shocked. HDNet on E* used to be the "reference HD series", maybe you should complain directly with Mark Cuban (mark@hd.net)
Trust me, Walter, I emailed Charlie, Mark and the following Dish Dept's: PQ, Feedback and Tech Support.

Last time Dish screwed around with HDNET Movies, I emailed the above group and got good PQ back in a matter of days, let's hope the squeaky wheel gets greased this time. ;)

DarrellP said:
Trust me, Walter, I emailed Charlie, Mark and the following Dish Dept's: PQ, Feedback and Tech Support.

Last time Dish screwed around with HDNET Movies, I emailed the above group and got good PQ back in a matter of days, let's hope the squeaky wheel gets greased this time. ;)
Perhaps, E* is figuring out how to squeeze BravoHD to keep up with D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts