• Parents divorced & it was hell for me & other kids

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Parents divorced & is was pretty bad for me & other kids

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Parents divorced & it wasn't so bad for me & other kids

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Parents divorced & it was pretty easy on me & other kids

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Parents divorced & it hardly affected the children, as all were out of the nest

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Parents divorced & it was hard on the kids, even though they were all out of the nest

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents are like the parents on everybody loves raymond. (Frank and Marie) They argue but I know they love each other. It's never violent or loud . Some of the people who trash marriage had a bad time with it. But I'm much happier being married then single. Single people will brag about being single but I wonder if they really are.

I prefer being married also. I was single for about a dozen years in between. I had fun, then I realized my life expectancy was shortening.

Looks like there's more success in marriage than is generally publicized.
That's because the statistics are skewed.
While 50%+ of marriages end in divorce, 50%+ of people do not get divorced.

The reason for the discrepancy and why that stats seem so bad, is you have a bunch of people that have multiple quickie marriages.
For example, you can have 4 couples that stay married and never divorce, but then have 1 couple where each person is on their 3rd marriage, and then boom you're stats are at 50% divorce.

Parents were married 27 years. Bes thing that ever happened for my dad. He remarried about 4 years later and has been married to the best step mom I could have for almost 20 years now. I have been married 18. My first marriage lasted 6 mos barely remember it

There was a serious omission in the poll: Parents not divorced but wish they had been.;)

Need to get it straight. Start planning a year or two early to giving them a BIG party on their 50th. We did this for my in-laws. My wife's cousins failed to do so. Still no end to it!

Wow, my mom left us with my dad in '89 cuz our toys were there. She cheated on him for the entire 12 years of their marriage and then left him a letter when she left. I still remember the night we came home and the horrible yell that came from my dad. Not fun for us. She moved in with the dude she had been sleeping with, but was sleeping with another guy, who she married a year or so later. Then they moved to Germany cuz she works for the government and she started cheating on that husband and they got divorced after 12 years and now she is married to the new other guy, who doesn't let her out of his general vicinity if he can help it by taking all their TDY trips together and all days off together and so on. I really miss the second guy she was married to, he was a great guy! The new guy is okay, but I think it's kinda crappy because he was supposedly Bryan's friend and then he's was sleeping with my mom. That's not cool.

My dad remarried in '91 and that was no fun for us. Stepmom likes to be two-faced about everything. One particularly bad memory was her spanking us with the metal handle of a flyswatter on the backs of our legs and then making us wear jeans so no one would see the marks even though it was the middle of summer. I put up with her now, but only so my relationship with my dad doesn't get strained.

My parents are the reason HiFi and I are determined to make our marriage work. I never want my kids to go thru a divorce.

My parents are the reason HiFi and I are determined to make our marriage work. I never want my kids to go thru a divorce.

That's good. I see so many times people taking the easy route of divorce because they don't even want to put forth the effort to work things out.

My parents got divorced because they just grew into different people and had trouble getting along. My dad had drinking problems he had to work out too. I lived with my mother as did my brother. I saw my dad as often as we could and he always made sure we were provided for. My mother did a pretty good job too I might add. My father got sober (20+ years now yay) but he was never a mean drunk or anything like that. A bit before I turned 10 they both bought a house together and did one heck of a job taking care of us. I think my father loves my mother more now compared to when they were married even though they aren't living together anymore.

Some people just cannot live together but they can still love them with all their hearts. My parents IMO did it the right way as I had a good childhood. My brother is doing quite well for himself and is married with children. I'm single and the geek of the family so most likely I'm not getting married anytime soon. Overall divorce isn't what screws up kids. Its what the parents become that screws them up. Bitter, mean and always fighting does it. Also staying married for the betterment of the kids "while" being mean, bitter and fighting does more harm than divorce IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)