Arena Football League Returns

The problem with hockey, is that it's appeal is regional. Beyond the midwest and northeast, the NHL has been a failure in the US. Why they keep trying to put teams in the South I don't know.

The NFL (along with College Ball) on the otherhand, has managed to have successful teams almost everywhere it goes.

Arena Ball has the problem of being Football Lite. Why watch a smaller version of the game when you can watch NFL, NCAA or even High School instead.

The problem with hockey, is that it's appeal is regional. Beyond the midwest and northeast, the NHL has been a failure in the US. Why they keep trying to put teams in the South I don't know.

While there is some basis of truth, this statement is way too broad. The NHL is successful in Colorado, San Jose, LA (unlike the NFL ;)), Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and to some extent Miami. You cannot call those areas failures.

Sandra

While there is some basis of truth, this statement is way too broad. The NHL is successful in Colorado, San Jose, LA (unlike the NFL ;)), Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and to some extent Miami. You cannot call those areas failures.
Colorado is a good market, lots of snow and hockey played by the kids.

San Jose and Tampa Bay are anomalies to all the Southern failures. But there success is actually due to all the Snow Birds in Tampa and transplants in the Silicon Valley business that give them fans to cater to.

Bergman has this fixation in putting hockey in places like Phoenix and Atlanta where it has no hopes to succeed, while ignoring hotbeds like Southern Ontario.

The problem for Hockey in those areas, is that the kids don't play it (no ice, no hockey), so they don't grow up as fans to attend the games.

Colorado is a good market, lots of snow and hockey played by the kids.

San Jose and Tampa Bay are anomalies to all the Southern failures. But there success is actually due to all the Snow Birds in Tampa and transplants in the Silicon Valley business that give them fans to cater to.

Bergman has this fixation in putting hockey in places like Phoenix and Atlanta where it has no hopes to succeed, while ignoring hotbeds like Southern Ontario.

The problem for Hockey in those areas, is that the kids don't play it (no ice, no hockey), so they don't grow up as fans to attend the games.

LA has snowbirds too, as does Miami. That was part of the rationale for putting teams there.

Phoenix is the anomaly. Phoenix has a lot of snowbirds too, hockey can work there, it just isn't right now because of the ownership situation.

Atlanta is just a bad professional sports city period.

Sandra

Derwin0 said:
The actual problem with hockey is that the appeal is limited to rabid fans. Hockey doesn't play with the casual sports fan. And that is also a problem with any sport now, except...
Derwin0 said:
The NFL (along with College Ball) on the otherhand, has managed to have successful teams almost everywhere it goes.
Precisely. It appears to me that the shorter the season, the more interest.

College Football has owned Saturday's for decades. They've branched out and have those Thursday and Friday night games. The NFL doesn't even need an explanation.
Derwin0 said:
Arena Ball has the problem of being Football Lite. Why watch a smaller version of the game when you can watch NFL, NCAA or even High School instead.
As there isn't a version of spring football a la the USFL, Arena ball is the only football after the Super Bowl and before the Hall of Fame game in early August. I still suspect an outdoor spring league would do well. The jury is still out on the indoor game.
Derwin0 said:

SandraC said:
LA has snowbirds too, as does Miami. That was part of the rationale for putting teams there.

Phoenix is the anomaly. Phoenix has a lot of snowbirds too, hockey can work there, it just isn't right now because of the ownership situation.

Atlanta is just a bad professional sports city period.
The Sharks aren't an anomoly. It is the fifth or sixth largest TV market in the US. The second largest TV market, much further south, is supporting two NHL teams but no NFL teams.

But as was said, the big problem is the lack of leadership regarding placement of franchises and approval of ownership groups. Right now Bettman is bent on getting the Islanders arena issue fixed, either by getting Nassau County to provide a new arena, or *gasp* move the team. Meanwhile, there are issues with ownership in Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Nashville and Phoenix, to name a few. All of those I listed have had their ownership change in the past four years. Why there are issues with ownership even though they were approved I still don't know.

I noticed that the league has signed a one-year (with an option for a second) year) broadcast deal with NFL Network.

Do you think that the NFL could use Arena Football to develop players like they did with NFL Europe?
If the NFL Network would be carrying Arena Football,it would have to be with the NFL's & Goodell's blessing. That would be a good option then to develop Tim Tebow(the other of course being the CFL).

royrdsjr said:
Do you think that the NFL could use Arena Football to develop players like they did with NFL Europe?
I don't know. There have been a few names to come from Arena ball into the NFL. The most known is Kurt Warner.
royrdsjr said:
If the NFL Network would be carrying Arena Football,it would have to be with the NFL's & Goodell's blessing. That would be a good option then to develop Tim Tebow(the other of course being the CFL).
I don't know. I think the NFL needs "filler" programming. It's football and it fits the bill. The contract is only for one year, so this appears to be a wait-and-see attitude from NFL Network.

Once it gets rolling, the UFL will be a more meaningful developmental league I'd think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)