Arghhh, I am so frustrated with the H3 timers situation

This really isn't a guide issue - if you go on the website of the channel and look at their schedule, they will show you the actual start times for each show - history, discovery, and science channels regularly start at 10:02, 10:04, etc.
and the guide I guess can only show 10:00, 10:05, etc. (5 minute intervals)

I adjust my start and endtimes for these channels

Keep in mind I have been a continuous DISH subscriber almost since their begining. Also that History and others have often started shows especially the second or third airing following the first past the top or bottom of the hour. Until the guide provider change I did not miss the begining of those shows. I am now So it isn't the mere fact the shows start past the hour it is the guide provider screwing this and other things up.... and DISH by association. I believe what happened in the past was the timer did not start 5 minutes past as the guide showed then as it does now, but it started on the hour. Whatever the reason I did not have this problem before all these years of watching shows like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars recording on the rerun. (Because my timers were or are full during the first airing) In fact what would happen is I would get the last couple or so minutes of the previous show.
Now that I am aware of the problem I do have it set to record 5 minutes before the start.

I don't watch those I'm talking about Prime Time Shows.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Those are prime time shows.... 9PM 10PM are prime time... The point is most of the problems are because of the change in guide provider. (Not all but ironically some of the past problems are gone. Multiple recordings of shows that are not new for me has just about disappeared with the new provider. Cops would be seen as new for about 50% of all airings! Not anymore)

Those are prime time shows.... 9PM 10PM are prime time... The point is most of the problems are because of the change in guide provider. (Not all but ironically some of the past problems are gone. Multiple recordings of shows that are not new for me has just about disappeared with the new provider. Cops would be seen as new for about 50% of all airings! Not anymore)
Those shows are on ten times in a week. They 'might' first air during prime time but they are not prime time shows. Now act like you don't know what I mean by prime time show.

Those shows are on ten times in a week. They 'might' first air during prime time but they are not prime time shows. Now act like you don't know what I mean by prime time show.

They ARE Prime Time shows. Their first airing is in Prime Time. Why not take a look at ratings, look under prime time and see what shows are listed. I'm not following your logic, because they are airing again like many/most Cable shows do has no bearing. You know why they air at least one time again? So they can be Prime Time again on the West Coast..... The big four networks air their shows three times a night so their shows are not prime time either...
As for multiple airings that is because those Cable Network channels do not have anything to fill the hours like the Four Networks do such as News.

Notice the heading in the article and the shows listed...
http://tvaholics.blogspot.com/2017/05/primetime-cable-ratings-may-8-2017.html

Last edited:
Am I missing something?

I have 2 H2's, both with the old UI and I don't see such difficulties.

Is this an H3 problem, a guide data problem or a Carbon UI problem?

It's just a TV show that happens to air during prime time, and in a lot of other time slots too. That's why it's on ten times a week, because the time slot is irrelevant. But okay, you win, by your definition Hogan's Heroes reruns are prime time shows.

It's just a TV show that happens to air during prime time, and in a lot of other time slots too. That's why it's on ten times a week, because the time slot is irrelevant. But okay, you win, by your definition Hogan's Heroes reruns are prime time shows.

This is ridiculous.
There is a difference between shows where new episodes first air in prime time, and reruns that just happen to be in prime time...
Shows that first air in a prime time slot and then repeat in non-prime time slots on networks other than the big four, are still prime time shows. No need to be a snob about it.

Reactions: osu1991 and Tampa8
This is ridiculous.
There is a difference between shows where new episodes first air in prime time, and reruns that just happen to be in prime time...
Shows that first air in a prime time slot and then repeat in non-prime time slots on networks other than the big four, are still prime time shows. No need to be a snob about it.

In fact it can be said some channels that only have older shows do indeed have a prime time line-up of reruns. MeTv has a weekday prime time line-up from 8PM to 11PM of the same series each night - Andy Griffith, Macgyver, and Hogan's Heroes and they even call it their prime time line-up. It's the only time during the 24hrs those shows are on.

Reactions: pattykay
This really isn't a guide issue - if you go on the website of the channel and look at their schedule, they will show you the actual start times for each show - history, discovery, and science channels regularly start at 10:02, 10:04, etc.
and the guide I guess can only show 10:00, 10:05, etc. (5 minute intervals)
This is why I miss the old TV Guide app from Dish Home. It would list the actual start times for shows on Comedy Central and movies on the premium channels, for example, and I could set DVR timers directly from the app. Then, Dish removed the TV Guide app, and they have not replaced it with anything similar since then, either. :(

Here we are, many weeks later and it isn't getting any better. If anything it's getting worse. Dish really screwed up this time. This photo was taken this morning. Note there is zip, zero, zilch info for TCM and if you continue to scroll to the right it continues until the guide runs out in 2 days. If anyone thinks this is a one-off, it isn't, I've run into this for various channels for weeks now and it isn't getting any better. It is absurd for Dish to purchase a guide that is obviously run by incompetent amateurs. If Dish is really concerned about retaining it's customers it would be prudent to go back to the old guide but I doubt they're bright enough or they wouldn't have switched in the first place. It's called "shooting yourself in the foot".

Guide-1.jpg

This morning I discovered that there is no guide data for Turner Classic Movies on my HWS w/CUI. It has the program "Turner Classic Movies" showing from 0600 until 1930 today.
Grrrr....:facepalm

Dave

Edit: Jeepguy, you beat me to it, although yours sounds worse than mine.

I am sure DISH would have liked to stayed with their old provider as well. This move was not anything DISH planned. :(

They keep working on it to rebuild what they had before.

Its something with Rovi and the formatting of their data. If it errors out anywhere, then the default info is apparently displayed. These errors are still popping up with Tivo too, and they had months to prepare for the data change even before Rovi bought Tivo. I noticed Wednesday, my Tivo guide update changed MTV to MTV Programming for 5 days out in the guide, then corrected itself with yesterdays update.

It is ridiculous that they can't get this figured out and corrected for vendors. The show info errors are annoying too. One day Doctor Who episodes will have info from the original series, then the next day it will correct to the new series. World Poker Tour went a month before it was noticed they mislabeled the new season 15 as last years season 14, so season passes never picked it up. That was finally corrected yesterday.

When you work on something it's supposed to get better over time, this isn't, it's getting worse. Frankly I don't see any reason to believe it will ever get better. If they haven't fixed Tivo in all this time what's the incentive to believe they'll fix Dish? Dish screwed up, the guide is messed up, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. This is just one more checked box on the cord-cutting side of the ledger.

The English football Premier League scheduled 10 matches all starting at the same time on May 21. Using the Guide, I set 10 timers on my Hopper 3 to record these games. The timers all had a 3 hour duration. No other recordings were scheduled for this time period. The Hopper's disk showed 2% full.

What happened? --- I ended up with two folders, one named Premier League Soccer containing 18 recordings, the other called English Football League that showed it contained 2 recordings, but was actually empty.

Each of 9 match's timers produced two recordings in the Premier League Folder. One recording started at the scheduled time and ran until about the game's 75th minute (a duration of about 90 minutes). The other recording started at the game's 70th minute and ran for a full 3 hours. Although I did not manually stop any recording, they all showed a termination status of "Stopped by customer in Family Room".

Notice that the two recordings overlap in time. The recording of the last part of the game starts 5 minutes before the recording of the first part terminates. Can one tuner generate two recordings simultaneously? Are the start/stop recording stats in error? Something is seriously wrong here.

The longer the timer/guide problems remain unfixed, the better internet streaming sources look as a more reliable, cost effective alternative for meeting my entertainment needs. WAKE UP DISH!.

-- Jack D.

Reactions: Briant73
Hopper 3 owner here, past few months I have timers that fail to record shows, I have to delete my timers and create new to fix this. I hope Dish fixes this soon, I agree with OP it's frustrating.

Reactions: buist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)