Article from Dan Ramer, Blu-ray vs HD-DVD

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
It’s time to look back and contemplate

We are in the midst of an emotional and divisive format war. Sides have been chosen. Strong feelings are being expressed. Spin and misinformation is common. Some misguided HD DVD proponent even felt it necessary to hack the official Blu-ray Disc Association; for a few hours on a Friday afternoon and evening, visitors to the BD site were redirected to the HD DVD Promotional Group website. On a more personal level, I’ve tried to assess the two formats fairly and offer you my findings based on my own observations and supported by external information. Having viewed hundreds of discs, roughly equally divided between the two formats, I developed a preference for BD based on perceived quality. Alas, when I expressed that preference, I was often accused of bias by HD DVD proponents.

Indulge me for one paragraph while I quickly get that out of the way. Dictionary.com defines bias as “a particular tendency or inclination, [especially] one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.” The Cambridge Dictionary defines bias as “a tendency to support or oppose a particular person or thing in an unfair way by allowing personal opinions to influence your judgment.” Merriam-Webster defines bias as “a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment: prejudice.” I can assure any who still harbor those feelings about my stated preference for Blu-ray Disc that I was not taught to think that way, either by education or decades of experience as an engineer. If I state a preference, it’s not based on predisposition or prejudice; it’s based on real-world observations. And as I’ve written before, no matter which format fails, I stand to lose a significant investment, either in my BD player or in my two HD DVD players. Bias has nothing to do with my preference. Let’s move on.

Both formats suffer from operational problems that annoy. HD DVD has a very stable feature set. The more mature format, it offered Internet access for updates from the start and, later, Web-based supplements. It offers picture-in-picture enhanced audio/video commentaries. The code to run the interactive features loads slowly, but not nearly as slowly as the exasperatingly sluggish loading of BD-J code from some advanced Blu-ray Discs.

From a feature set standpoint, BD is playing catch-up. The first desktop BD player to offer Profile 1.1 was introduced recently by Panasonic, and Sony is just getting around to issuing a firmware update for the PS3 that accommodates Profile 1.1. That Profile finally accommodates picture-in-picture enhanced audio/video commentaries on BD. The rest of us are out of luck, since other existing players don’t have the hardware to support the latest Profile.

My experience with HD DVD is generally positive, but I’ve encountered four or five discs that would not play on my HD-XA2 and had to be moved to my older HD-A1. On the other hand, BD-J tends to remain buggy, even with the most recent firmware. I updated my Sony BDP-S1 with level 3.2 for proper playback of the supplements on the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End BD. And yet, while watching the supplements on an Underdog BD screener, the menu text popped onto the screen, improperly superimposed on video featurettes. Really annoying. Once the film begins, however, my experience with Blu-ray Disc has been better than with HD DVD. The images are sharper and more refined. Textures are clearer. The experience is closer to a very fine motion picture theater experience.

HD DVD was available as dual-layer 30 GB discs from the start. But initially, there was a great deal of criticism concerning the dearth of BD-50 dual-layer disc releases; the culprit was said to be yield. However, things have steadily improved. I plotted the monthly percentage of 50 GB BDs since the format was introduced. The percentage grew with each passing month; it now stands at 92%. And it doesn’t matter if this simply represents improved production capacity as opposed to improved yield. As long as the disc prices don’t go up as a consequence of yield problems, I don’t care and neither should you.

percent_bd50.gif

HD DVD compression and authoring tools for the VC-1 advanced video CODEC were available from the start. Not so for Blu-ray Disc, initially. There was some considerable criticism concerning the release of early BDs with transfers compressed with the MPEG-2 video CODEC. With the very high bit rate that BD affords, I’ve enjoyed several exemplary releases that featured the legacy CODEC, but that situation, too, has turned around. MPEG-2 is rarely used anymore and AVC, which I find superior to VC-1, has come to dominate BD releases. The tools for compression and authoring are now in place and the look of a BD with an AVC transfer can be absolutely stunning.

bd_codec.gif

HD DVD, on the other hand, has been dominated from the start by the VC-1 CODEC. This isn’t surprising considering Microsoft’s substantial support. VC-1 is a very good algorithm, but based on my observations and those of reviewers around the Web, AVC looks better on both formats. HD DVD proponents would be wise to apply AVC more often.

hd_dvd_codec.gif

As I write this column, there are 384 HD DVD and 441 BD releases on the market. The studios that are dominating the HD DVD format are Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment. Warner Home Video contributes releases to both formats, and has stated that it will continue to do so, denying the strong rumor that it’s about to declare for BD exclusively. Paramount and DreamWorks’ defection from format agnostic to HD DVD-exclusive (in consideration of a reported $150 million financial incentive) did little to change the sales ratios. BD finished the year with a 2:1 disc sales advantage over HD DVD. And BD still has a 3.6:1 hardware installed base advantage over HD DVD. The much vaunted price advantage of HD DVD has eroded considerably. The costs of entry level players in both formats are within tens of dollars. And if one calculates the average price of all HD discs released in each format to date, BD would come in at $37.17 and HD DVD would be $35.83. At discount, the $1.34 average difference is actually closer to $0.94. Perhaps the counterproductive Combo disc drove up the average price of HD DVDs.

In a recent study by yet another market research firm, Understanding and Solutions, the firm believes that the erosion of the price differences may favor BD’s victory in 2008. The firm’s Jeremy Wills was quoted as saying, “Price reductions in the U.S. have continued into December, with Blu-ray players dropping below $300 for the first time and HD DVD players below $200. Crucially, Blu-ray benefits from stronger Hollywood studio support and represents a greater proportion of high-definition disc production volumes and disc sales. To date, Paramount’s move to sole support of HD DVD has failed to turn the market, despite the HD DVD exclusivity of key titles Transformers and Shrek the Third. Blu-ray still represented more than 70% of high-definition video sales in the U.S. during the week Transformers was released on HD DVD.” But due to the uncertainties of the marketplace, Understanding and Solutions’ director Jim Bottoms is more cautious, suggesting that the format war will last longer than previously thought.

Parting Thoughts

Everyone agrees that demand for HD content can only grow. Analog broadcasting will end in February of 2009. A third of all households are expected to have HD-capable displays by the end of 2008 and by 2011, the installed base of HD-ready sets will rise to 90%. That will only stimulate demand for high quality HD program material. I will once again state my hope that quality prevails and that this destructive format war ends in 2008.

Link: DVDFILE.com

Nothing but truth in this article.
Happy new year everyone.

Link: DVDFILE.com

Nothing but truth in this article.
Happy new year everyone.

NOT quite. Well, it's a fair article. Nothing new, and yes, there are some misleading charts, figures, and a lot of opinion.

The percentage of BD 50's is misleading. Is it 92% of titles are BD50 or is it 92% of current releases within that time period bd50? I know he is talking about time periods. But anyways... 50% of BD titles use BD50. 89% of titles released in December used BD50, only a little short of 92%.

How does he get 10s of dollars from 199 to 299 for entry level players? OK... 10s of 10s of dollars. Anyways, these prices are sale prices, not MSRPs. As of today, the Samsung, Sony, and Sharp are all back to $399, while the Toshiba Gen 3s are 199, 249, and 349 respectively at BB.

Blu-ray had a 70% share of the market the week Transformers was released? Really? I thought the touted numbers for that week was 51:49 including BDs BOGO so they could "win every week" of the year?

VC-1 better than AVC according to him and "reviewers on the web"? Give me a break. Wait a minute.... didn't Highdefdigest give HP:OotP a 5 in video quality? Did I miss something or isn't that a VC-1 encode. There is nothing wrong with either codec and both look stunning when done correctly. There is also nothing wrong with MPEG2 (of course at almost twice the bandwidth of VC-1 or AVC).

The truth is... both formats are very good. Each has its advantages and disadvantages over the other. The total number of discs sold is miniscule. When top releases (regardless of format) only reach at most 4% of what its DVD counterpart sells, it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. There is a lot of work to do for both formats and neither is going away. Get both, enjoy both.

S~

Why don't they work to make a new disc that has the best of both companies and plays on both set top boxes? Wouldn't that fix the problem?

Why don't they work to make a new disc that has the best of both companies and plays on both set top boxes? Wouldn't that fix the problem?

IMHO, because the developers of HD-DVD and BD want to keep all the royalaties that would be generated by their format, if they started over they'd have to share. Dang, there's that all mighty $ again messing things up;)

Earth calling Icewolf - Earth calling Icewolf...

Care to comment on taechsac post: "Blu-ray had a 70% share of the market the week Transformers was released? Really? I thought the touted numbers for that week was 51:49 including BDs BOGO so they could "win every week" of the year?"

If not what creditability do you have here in the forum by posting such crap.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1089399-post102.html And that was also a BOGO week, Anyone with a brain will tell you that BD did NOT sell more disk that week. Much less 70%

That was your 999th post, here's to hoping that your next thousand will be more creditable, make it your New Years resolution:)

The author is a BD troll. Funny how he spends 2 paragraphs denying it.

Are you suggeting that if someone establishes a reputation for being biased one way or the other that people should not listen to them? Don't worry. People see through that. They read it even comment on it from time but they know who exists to promote one side or the other and they don't believe a word they say.

IMHO, because the developers of HD-DVD and BD want to keep all the royalaties that would be generated by their format, if they started over they'd have to share. Dang, there's that all mighty $ again messing things up;)

Which is worth more a big share of a small pie or a small share of a bigger one?

Which is worth more a big share of a small pie or a small share of a bigger one?

Common folks with say small share of a bigger one. But we're talking big multinational corporations here with the big egos that go along with the upper management. None of them want to say they made a mistake or have to go to their boards and say it's time to cooperate but it will mean they have to share revenue, that's not going to happen, at least IMHO.

Care to comment on taechsac post: "Blu-ray had a 70% share of the market the week Transformers was released? Really? I thought the touted numbers for that week was 51:49 including BDs BOGO so they could "win every week" of the year?"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1089399-post102.html And that was also a BOGO week, Anyone with a brain will tell you that BD did NOT sell more disk that week. Much less 70%

That was your 999th post, here's to hoping that your next thousand will be more creditable, make it your New Years resolution:)

Read this: Nielsen VideoScan High-Def market share for week ending November 4th, 2007 - Engadget HD

People now want to be neutral after bashing Blu-ray all year long, and now that they see 2008's HD-DVD weakness they are slowly becoming Neutral.

Last edited:

IMO, what it shows is that generally speaking at this point in time, there is likely more compelling content being released on BD vs. HD-DVD. Or at least more compelling for BD owners.

The fact that there's a huge disparity towards Blu-ray's installed base ( if one counts the PS3) at 3 or 4:1 and that there's only a mild disparity in title sales (~2:1 if memory serves) this is (IMO) an important consideration.

Creditability (sic) isn't a word. Credibility is.

I'm not a moderator here, but keep the personal attacks out. Criticize the idea not the person. Never make it personal like this -- it's an ineffective argument and usually a losing tactic.

All the article really shows is that BD got its act together finally. BD50 is widely available, MPEG-2 is not used much, AVC/VC-1 are dominating, and BD getting more releases out.

IMO, what it shows is that generally speaking at this point in time, there is likely more compelling content being released on BD vs. HD-DVD. Or at least more compelling for BD owners.

The fact that there's a huge disparity towards Blu-ray's installed base ( if one counts the PS3) at 3 or 4:1 and that there's only a mild disparity in title sales (~2:1 if memory serves) this is (IMO) an important consideration.

Creditability (sic) isn't a word. Credibility is.

I'm not a moderator here, but keep the personal attacks out. Criticize the idea not the person. Never make it personal like this -- it's an ineffective argument and usually a losing tactic.

"4:1 and that there's only a mild disparity in title sales(~2:1 if memory serves)" Thats is with half a year of BOGO to skew the numbers. Amazing how some of us forgot to add certain facts to our post. Oh but I forgot you WERE "40ish HD-DVD."

Oh corecting my speling isnt a personal atack????? This is not a english term paper. To me this is akin to a quick text mesage. Also did you notice the smiley face at the end of my post, and yes I was serious about posting articles with truth within them but I made my coment with a rye sense of humor. Keyword :)

""""I'm not a moderator here, but keep the personal attacks out. Criticize the idea not the person. Never make it personal like this -- it's an ineffective argument and usually a losing tactic."""""

"IMO, what it shows is that generally speaking at this point in time, there is likely more compelling content being released on BD vs. HD-DVD."

The aurthor didn't say generally speaking, he said 70%. To a new comer that is very misleading. Considering that week sony threw a BOGO party. 'IMO' BD didn't come any where near 50-50. So to plant 70% in this story is BS but Icewolf decided to post it and a few of decided to correct him on it. Sorry if that offended yall.

The mic is yours...

"4:1 and that there's only a mild disparity in title sales(~2:1 if memory serves)" Thats is with half a year of BOGO to skew the numbers. Amazing how some of us forgot to add certain facts to our post. Oh but I forgot you WERE "40ish HD-DVD."

Yes, I've HD-DVD for about 7 months more than Blu-ray. Considering I was unemployed all summer, I'm doing fine thank you. Currently I'm buying at about parity.

Oh corecting my speling isnt a personal atack????? This is not a english term paper. To me this is akin to a quick text mesage. Also did you notice the smiley face at the end of my post, and yes I was serious about posting articles with truth within them but I made my coment with a rye sense of humor. Keyword :)

If it were personal, there would have been more adjectives besides pointing out that you're inventing words. The only thing you have at your disposal as tools are the words on the screen. A poor command of the tools of the trade (ie written language) makes your tool ineffective at best. If you make a conscious selection not to demonstrate a functional command of the tools that is an issue that you have to grapple with. Don't expect a free pass because it's the internet.

Just so we're clear four incorrect spellings and one incorrect homonym in one paragraph isn't particularly good. I leave it as an exercise for you to determine where the errors are.

""""I'm not a moderator here, but keep the personal attacks out. Criticize the idea not the person. Never make it personal like this -- it's an ineffective argument and usually a losing tactic."""""

"IMO, what it shows is that generally speaking at this point in time, there is likely more compelling content being released on BD vs. HD-DVD."

The aurthor didn't say generally speaking, he said 70%. To a new comer that is very misleading. Considering that week sony threw a BOGO party. 'IMO' BD didn't come any where near 50-50. So to plant 70% in this story is BS but Icewolf decided to post it and a few of decided to correct him on it. Sorry if that offended yall.

The problem with the internet is that there's nothing to prevent someone from posting incorrect information. This is how legends grow. I'm thinking back to the "Toshiba bought Paramount's exclusive HD-DVD stance" series of rumors that became pseudo-fact.

I think of the internet as every man's printing press. It is the job of the reader to determine whether that printing press is putting out useful content or junk. Peer review is give and take on forums.

Yes, I've HD-DVD for about 7 months more than Blu-ray. Considering I was unemployed all summer, I'm doing fine thank you. Currently I'm buying at about parity.

If it were personal, there would have been more adjectives besides pointing out that you're inventing words. The only thing you have at your disposal as tools are the words on the screen. A poor command of the tools of the trade (ie written language) makes your tool ineffective at best. If you make a conscious selection not to demonstrate a functional command of the tools that is an issue that you have to grapple with. Don't expect a free pass because it's the internet.

Just so we're clear four incorrect spellings and one incorrect homonym in one paragraph isn't particularly good. I leave it as an exercise for you to determine where the errors are.

The problem with the internet is that there's nothing to prevent someone from posting incorrect information. This is how legends grow. I'm thinking back to the "Toshiba bought Paramount's exclusive HD-DVD stance" series of rumors that became pseudo-fact.

I think of the internet as every man's printing press. It is the job of the reader to determine whether that printing press is putting out useful content or junk. Peer review is give and take on forums.
Johny boy I mispelled a few words on purpose if u didn't notice to make a point this is not a term paper. Are you guaranteeing that you've never made a spelling mistake within this forum or any other forum???

Oh and who gives a rats... how neutral u say you are, your words speak loud and clear. Good luck with your employment. Try Monster.com

I hear Sony is hiring.

Johny boy I mispelled a few words on purpose if u didn't notice to make a point this is not a term paper. Are you guaranteeing that you've never made a spelling mistake within this forum or any other forum???

Of course not -- but there's a huge difference between a typographical error and an invented word.

Oh and who gives a rats... how neutral u say you are, your words speak loud and clear.

Hmmm... In comparison I am quite neutral. I'm sure I'm slightly off center; but in the end I want as much HD content as I can get.

Good luck with your employment. Try Monster.com

Don't need it. I've been working again for several months on a long term contract.

I hear Sony is hiring.

Why would I want to work for a company that isn't doing well on many levels? Besides, I'd have to give up my writing gig and I quite enjoy the work.

Much to do about nothing IMHO. We'll probably be still going over this same issue for possibly several more years until something big or truly groundbreaking can come along like a new technology or major exclusive partnerships. Lower price reductions for both HD DVD, BD and multi format players and movies will only cement both current formats into deeper user penetration, acceptance and customer bases.

Happy New Year!