Article from Dan Ramer, Blu-ray vs HD-DVD

John and Non, can either of you tell us what the point of this thread is anymore? lol:p

I had left the thread alone hadn’t posted for over 48 hours, but it appears that John couldn’t leave it alone and wanted to engage in this galactic battle of one-upmanship, preparing cute properly worded rebuttals. I thought him a hypocrite for saying don’t make it personal out of one side of his mouth. But out the other side of his mouth he goes out of his way to correct me on spelling. In these forums spelling and grammar don’t tend to be valued.
I expressed my opinion and moved on, but here he comes 2 days later to rekindle much to do about nothing.

PS All of us here aren’t writers as some claim to be, so get use to new words being invented…

DONE

While it seems that every new article out has some misstatements and inaccuracies they are all pointing to a reoccuring theme. BD is continuing to hold out the average over HD-DVD in disc sales. While that might be contributed to more players (if you include the PS3) more studio support (Disney and Fox are big in BD's corner) or the lowering costs of BD standalones (you could purchase Samsung's BD1400 for $349 at Costco's and the Sony's BP300 for $237 {outrageous} at HH Gregg's for weeks before XMAS and that was $10s of dollars over the $199 and $289 prices I saw for HD-DVD) the bottom line is that the BDA is no longer allowing Toshiba and the HD-DVD group the low road in prices. And while the BD standalones are not yet at the same low price of the HD-DVD's they are low enough to generate good sales.

This article even with its inaccuracies is accurate in some very important areas. I have yet to read any review of a title that came out on both HD-DVD and BD where when AVC was used on BD and VC-1 was used on HD-DVD where VC-1 was prefered over AVC. Usually it is the opposite and it is because the reviewers feel that VC-1 presents too soft a picture.

Another important area is that even with the sales from Transformers and Shrek3 BD still ended the year on a 2-1 sales ratio over HD-DVD. This is important in that those 98,000 HD-DVD players that were sold on Black Friday did absolutely nothing to sway that average at the end of the year.

One thing left out is that once again a huge Warner title -- Harry Potter -- BD once again easily outsold HD-DVD for Warner. And while strong supporters for both camps (myself included) voice our oppinions strongly this format war is in a groove where not much is going to change for the near-future. Maybe if Warner did decide to support one camp or the other the numbers might change but that would not neccesarily end the format war. I still believe that the retailers are going to decide this one for us.

The writer of this article stated his preferance, reasons for his preferance and tried to state facts (even if they are a little off -- they are not off by a landslide) his statements for his preferance and they were at the very least true -- no lies -- although he fudged some figures none were taken too out of perspective as they did not change the end result and putting in the exact numbers would not change the results one bit.

One more thing, this is for Vurbano, a troll on the internet is someone who goes into a post on a forum with the sole purpose of posting negative opinion or personally attacking the individual posting, the thread or individuals posting in the thread. The act of the troll is to cast his line (negative or personal statement) in hope of pulling the converstation away from the intial post that started the thread.

Someone who states a preferance for something is called a supporter of that idea. You might not like his support or what he supports but he has that right. As long as he does not state outright lies or uses facts that are not borne out, he does have the right to state his or her opinion without being called names.

If you think that the author of article lied about something or mistated something that would change the end results of his article or he misconstured the nature of his article so as to mislead please point out where?

To argue over whether BD finished the year with 89% of titles on BD50 or 92% is moot. To argue over BOGOS affecting disc sales are moot. To argue over low cost standalones affecting future sales are moot. And the reason is that nothing changed. BD ended the year with 2 to 1 sales lead over HD-DVD and nothing Toshiba did changed that. Nothing the supporting studios for HD-DVD did changed that.

Why don't we discuss why that is? Why not discuss if AVC is indeed a better codec then VC-1 and why? Why not discuss why the BOGOs continue and if this is a trend to lower costs of BD and HD-DVD movies why not just lower the retail price 20% to 30% for both formats end the BOGOs and see if that does not increase sales?

This article even with its inaccuracies is accurate in some very important areas. I have yet to read any review of a title that came out on both HD-DVD and BD where when AVC was used on BD and VC-1 was used on HD-DVD where VC-1 was prefered over AVC. Usually it is the opposite and it is because the reviewers feel that VC-1 presents too soft a picture.

One thing left out is that once again a huge Warner title -- Harry Potter -- BD once again easily outsold HD-DVD for Warner. And while strong supporters for both camps (myself included) voice our oppinions strongly this format war is in a groove where not much is going to change for the near-future. Maybe if Warner did decide to support one camp or the other the numbers might change but that would not neccesarily end the format war. I still believe that the retailers are going to decide this one for us.

I am not aware of a title that used AVC over VC-1 depending on the format. I do know Paramount used VC-1 and MPEG2 for HD DVD and BD. Warner uses the same encode for both and has never used AVC.

Harry Potter outsold easily? Where did you get these figures from? Creative accounting 101? The last Neilsen numbers released were on 12/16. According to those numbers HP5 only had a 1.2-1 advantage in sales over the HD DVD version. Even PotC3 beat out HP5 on BD that week (although barely). Not what I would call overwhelming. Especially since both formats combined only beat Bourne 100-84.59. Bourne beat the BD gift set 100-14.38. Very not overwhelming. At this point we need to get rid of % and start seeing actual sales numbers and profit margins studios are making off of these titles. Many HD DVD owners (myself included) bought the remaing titles separately as we have already had Goblet for over a year. Some users even opted for the UK import of OotP over the domestic version.

S~

OK I take that back. Coming to America uses AVC on BD and VC-1 on HD DVD. And guess what? The video on the HD DVD got 3 1/2 on HD DVD compared to 3 for BD.

From HDD Review:

"Proving once again that not all transfers are created equal, 'Coming to America' comes to HD DVD using the VC-1 codec, and Blu-ray using AVC MPEG-4. While more often than not, the results of such split transfers are negligible, in this case, the HD DVD VC-1 transfer has slightly richer colors and sharper details than its Blu-ray AVC counterpart."

HD DVD Review: Coming to America | High-Def Digest

Last edited:
One more thing, this is for Vurbano, a troll on the internet is someone who goes into a post on a forum with the sole purpose of posting negative opinion or personally attacking the individual posting, the thread or individuals posting in the thread. The act of the troll is to cast his line (negative or personal statement) in hope of pulling the converstation away from the intial post that started the thread.

Actually its called a red herring and is a fallacy of logic. But I am sure you knew that. :D

and BTW you love to use slippery slope fallacy, So I wouldn't be to hard on Vurbano (though the dude is a bit over zealous some times :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts