ASC-1 and two dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
Apologies if this has already been answered.

What's the best way of hooking up the ASC-1 and C-band dish with a system that also includes a motorized ku-band dish?

Right now, I have the cable from the receiver going to a diseqc switch, port 1 off to the ku-band motorized dish and port 2 to the ASC-1.

This is working somewhat, although I'm getting really bad ku-band reception. Signal levels are really low, but the ku-band motor is getting signals to move.

On the ASC-1 side, sometimes the screen sees the ku-band Diseqc signals. For example, I'll switch the receiver to Galaxy 18 ku, which is position 15 in my receiver, and the ASC-1 shows 15 on its display. As it's on the other port of the switch, why is it seeing that command?

A faulty switch? Or I should be configuring this a different way?

Probably 'why is it seeing that command' because of not enough isolation.
The 'commonly recommended configuration.
receiver>> diseqc 'mover' (ASC-1)>>USALS 'motor'>>switch>>LNBF's
Use USALS for the Ku, diseqc for the C band.
If you MUST use diseqc for both, use position numbers for Ku that are not used for C. (and vice versa)
Odd # for C, Even for Ku??????

If you are not using the KU side of the NS741 on the on your CBand dish, Try using a 22khz switch instead of a DiSEqC switch and see if that improves the signal loss problem.

Mine is set up just like FaT Air described and works great. :)

Thanks guys. I have different Diseqc memory numbers on ku and C band so the ASC1 doesn't move the C-band dish when it sees those ku commands. It just sits there because the memory numbers are unassigned.

I've been making progress. Perhaps I have a bad port on this switch. I moved the ku over to port 3 and it's coming in loud and clear.

But when I switched to another ku satellite, which is still programmed on port 1 in the receiver memory, the ku motor moved anywhere, which leads me to a realization:

Does the Diseqc switch port control just concern the signals from the LNB or do the Diseqc controls also get switched?

I assumed it switched everything, but the ASC1 seeing the ku controls and the ku dish moving when it is on a different port points to the Diseqc commands not being switched. Which makes me think I should have everything in serial, rather than parallel until the two LNBs at the end.

That's what FaT Air is suggesting. I'll try some rewiring.

DiSEqC switches CAN pass DiSEqC switches through all ports, either selected or not. It really depends on how they are constructed and another variable is if they are DiSEqC 1.1 compatible for upstream switching.

If you must use DiSEqC 1.2 commands for both devices and are unable to use USALS for the KU HH motor and DiSEqC 1.2 for the ASC1, remove one device while programming the other. If both devices are connected with you current switch when programming, both will be programmed using all of the DiSEqC 1.2 commands.

Example: Delete all current DiSEqC 1.2 positions from each device. To program the KU HH motor, turn the ASC1 Master Power switch OFF. When programming the ASC1, disconnect the KU HH motor.

Thanks. I'll try USALS for the ku dish.

One other problem: when I plug it in to the back of the ASC1 to connect in series, I get an LNB short warning, but signal comes through fine. Nothing to worry about?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is what I mean:

Receiver -> ASC1 -> ku motor -> Diseqc switch, one port to ku LNB, one port to C LNB

As opposed to:

Receiver -> Diseqc switch, one port to ASC1 then C LNB, one port to ku motor then ku LNB

Which way should I be wiring this up? When I had the C-band dish being controlled by an analog receiver, I remember the advice given was to have the Diseqc switch after the ku motor. (The C motor was on its own control of course, to the analog receiver)

Just a thought..I had similar problems..problem was isolation in the Diseqc switch..went and installed a German made 4x1 diseqc ( Baff)..cost a bit more,but no problems now..EMP switches are also very good too..

OK, in my mind I pictured a coax split before and combined after equaling "in series". :D

Something is causing a short. Does the Overload warning appear immediately or after attempting to move the motor? Two LNBs and a motor typically would not exceed the 550mA rating of the ASC1. What are the LNB(f)s?

Brian,

It appears as soon as I switch on the ASC1, stays up for a few seconds then disappears. I'm not sure if the unit shows the warning continuously when the problem is there, or if it's timing out.

Anyway, right now I have the switch disconnected and I'm just switching the coax by hand. I'm busy today and then away all of the week after next, so this will have to wait until I get back. That's good timing because it's the solar outage week, so I can tune my dishes at the same time also look at moving one to a new location.

The LNBs are the two you sell, the ku and C-band PLL ones (I forget the names). The ku-motor is a DG-380.

If you have any thoughts, let me know. I migth have a bit of time one evening this week, but I doubt it.

Oh, and which way am I supposed to be wiring it up? Of the two I have listed above, should both work? Does it make a difference?

I'll also look into getting a higher quality Diseqc switch. I'm off to Europe, so hopefully I have mail order something and have it delivered to me there.

Martyn

I have noticed the same thing. LNB short warning momentarily when turning on the unit. I assumed it was because the switches were coming online during this moment.

SatDiagram.jpg

If the warning is only coming on monentarily, then there is no concern. Electronics draw more current during start-up and the warning appears when the draw exceeds 600mA. The warning would stay as long as the condition exists.

Receiver -> ASC1 -> ku motor -> Diseqc switch, one port to ku LNB, one port to C LNB is fine. Minimal load on the DiSEqC switch should give it a longer life.

I would still recommend the following setup:

receiver ---> 22khz switch ON ---->ASC1 --->C-band feed
l
L--> 22khz switch off ---->Ku motor ----> Ku feed

Assignment of 22khz off or on is up to your individual taste.

My reasoning for this setup is that unless you buy top quality diseqc switches like EMP, Chieta, or similar, they cannot handle the Ku motor current over long term. The e-Coda 22khz switches are pretty much bullet proof in this application.

Thanks Bongu.

I bought a couple of weatherproof EMP switches. It sounds like they'll be the best ones to use. I'll also try your arrangement.

I am using the microhd>asc1>encoda>22k off to c band and >22k on to dg380>1.2 k band. however I could get every satellite through 123w and could not get 125w after a couple of days of fiddling around I quit watching tv for a couple of months. after easter I will try to get 125w again. in the meantime I will let my equipment rest. and inside the house not watching dish or cable. giving my mind a rest. well, today at least... charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)