ASC_1 Skew setting for installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shicks4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Kansas
My ASC_1 should be delivered today, and my question is when i power up the asc-1 will it automatically move the skew to -45 or should I try to figure out where that is and have it set there to begin with before I install the asc-1 It doesnt say anything about that in the manual I downloaded from titaniums web site. thanks.

The +45/-45 degree default skew settings assume that the feedhorn has been correctly installed using the Chaparral feedhorn template. The template points the long edge of the servo motor to approximately 10:30 angle to the vertical axis (when the dish pointed true south at the apex of the arc).

If you look inside the feedhorn with the dish aimed at the top of the arc and the polarity set to H, the probe should be horizontal (aimed at 9 o'clock - 3 o'clock).

Well if it was a chaparral feed horn it would be easy but i just swapped out to a dual c/ku band adl feedhorn. Cant seem to figure out the proper clocking for it. I can post a photo after I run and do my errands.

The concept is still the same with any servo motor feedhorn A zero degree skew angle would aim the probe at a halfway point between horizontal and vertical. With the ASC1 set to vertical polarity (with the default 45 degree angles), the probe will be aligned with the vertical axis of the reflector and mount.

Failure to align the feedhorn and servo with the dish mount vertical axis may damage the servo during over-rotation. It is important to set the feedhorn reference so the default settings will approximately set the skew angle. Otherwise, the horizontal and vertical skew would require an initial setting on each satellite and each polarity to correct for the misalignment.

so would the servo motor should still be at the 10:30 position then? Assuming the adl feedhorn is the sale as a chaparral?

Don't remember the correct template orientation for an ADL feedhorn. Maybe contact ADL for advice?

Without a template or absent of ADL advice, at the top of the arc with default ASC1 skew +/-45 degree settings, the probe positions will match the polarity selection. :)

Reactions: KE4EST
Thanks Brian, just dont wanna throw this in there without asking the right questions first. The unit just showed up via fed-ex so ill head over to the shop and get to work. It will be nice to not have to monkey around with old stuff and try to figure out where everything is and manually adjust skew settings anymore. Hopefully this will be the end of my endless questions. You and KE4EST have been a great help, thanks a ton. I certainly know where my dollars will be spent when i need items.

I used to set the skew at 45deg H before installing the feed horn assembly just to make sure it was set before installing onto the dish. Then I would peak the signal on a horizontal TP on my southermost satellite by rotating the feedhorn in the scaler VERY slightly CW or CCW only a few degrees at the most, maybe 2-5 degrees. Then I connected the cable to the motor and checked again, usually good then on the vertical TPs. When the dish is moved the skew should line up unless the satellite is off a bit, without moving the skew other than V/H.

I liked the corotor design, but had to move to dual LNBFs since I am running several receivers now. Suprisingly I had little trouble with them over the years, and the trouble I did have was mostly due to lightning surges etc. Don't think I had one fail due to cold (gets to -40 here).

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)