Aspect Ratio for HD DVD AND BD

mrsdrgn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
About 99% of movies form HD DVD or BD have black bars on a 16:9 tv and are not full screen. Why is it that most of the same movies on HBO HD, Showtime HD or Starz HD are transmitted on the full 16:9 screen? No black bars. Which aspect ratio would fill a 16:9 screen. I don't like the black bars on my screen. I thought that HD would cover the whole screen.

OAR = Original aspect ratio, how the film was originally shot, which is usually wider than 16:9. When you see those bars, you may well have the whole picture. If you don't, as in HBO, often they are trimming a bit off the edges to "fill" the screen, so you're losing part of the picture with them.

Look here and here.

Navychop, I have been a fan of OAR for quite a while and have seen many summaries like you have posted. I can remember one using Star Wars that I have showed people in the past to preach OAR. But that first link you provided is the best overall summary I have ever seen. Really great examples there. Nice link!!

No berck, this is the Star Wars one I have used before. (It also has a second page.) Lots of good comparisons.

My friend was shocked as he had purchased the full screen version without even thinking about it (and had also recently purchased a 47 inch widescreen HDTV.) He was just stretching the P&S version. He very happily exchanged it to the widescreen version.

It was watching Empire Strikes Back where I really noticed the Full Frame / Wide Screen issue. You could hardly make out what the snow moster was doing in the cave in the FS version. I've been hooked on OAR ever since.

The link I provided talks about a center format where the director can get both a WS format and FF. Its called Super35 and is used by quiet a few directors. Its also explained on that site.

Anything but widescreen for movies is a dead end. How many 4:3 screens do you think will be sold in 5 years? Or even 2 years?

Good links! I was still wondering if the DVD player made any difference? I have a cheap one that works well but was wondering if a better one would help without getting into HD/Bluray debacle? I don't buy DVDs usually, probably 2 in 4-5 years! There have been a few I want to buy and want to get the best for my viewing pleasure. I have a 50" HDTV plasma that works great. Thanks

Good links! I was still wondering if the DVD player made any difference? I have a cheap one that works well but was wondering if a better one would help without getting into HD/Bluray debacle? I don't buy DVDs usually, probably 2 in 4-5 years! There have been a few I want to buy and want to get the best for my viewing pleasure. I have a 50" HDTV plasma that works great. Thanks

Well first, what connectors are you using for your DVD player? Component should be the minimum, HDMI is better - assuming your HDTV has an HDMI input connection.

Alot of folks rave about Oppo DVD players. They also upconvert the 480 resolution to 720p or 1080i. There's alot of debate in other threads about they value of upconverting standard DVD's, but I think it's a dramatic improvement. Some of my DVD's look almost as good to me as some of the poorer films on TNT HD on Dish.

The Oppo DVD players start at around $149, street price. Of course, for a little over $300 you could get a Toshibga HD DVD player that also upconverts standard DVD's very well in addition to playing HD DVD's, but since you don't want to get into that "debacle", I'll leave it with recommending the Oppo. ;)

Thanks for the info. I have a unit that has HDMI. I was mostly wondering about the full screen view as opposed to the Widescreen. The links seem to answer that question. It seems widescreen is the way to go. There are a few movies that I want to buy and wanted to know what was the best for viewing. Thanks again

Make sure you set the DVD player correctly for the type of TV you have. I believe nearly every DVD player defaults to a 4x3 display. This needs to be set to 16x9 to get all the extra lines and correct image on a 16x9 display.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts