Assassin's Creed 2

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
Anyone plan on picking this title up? I loved the first one. I'm one my way now to pick up Assassin's Creed 2 and Call of Duty MW2. Two games with tax are a little over 1/3 the price of a console. O'well you pay to play.

I have it coming to me via Gamefly. It looks pretty interesting. I enjoyed the first one and so far the reviewers have all said that it makes the first one pale in comparison.

Commercials for this were awful... just a guy's head with a frozen 'ive just been killed' look on his face... slowly zooming out, but not really making a point... then the AC2 logo. No words. Nobody who didn't already know what the logo was would have any idea what the commercial was for.

One of the few commercials I've seen worse than the initial 'white room' PS3 commercials.

Commercials for this were awful... just a guy's head with a frozen 'ive just been killed' look on his face... slowly zooming out, but not really making a point... then the AC2 logo. No words. Nobody who didn't already know what the logo was would have any idea what the commercial was for.

One of the few commercials I've seen worse than the initial 'white room' PS3 commercials.

If the level of detail in those heads reflects quality in the game's cut scenes, I would say it was pretty amazing, though somehow I expect that's not the case. Heh, the ad got your attention, didn't it? ;)

ACII will definitely be on my wish list for an x-mas gift or to buy with gift cards after the holidays, though I never played ACI. I just got too many other games on my plate right now.

I just popped the game in. One thought that I had almost immediately was, "Am I playing Uncharted 2 again?" I forgot that Nolan North is now apparently the new "thing" for videogame voiceover work..

I just popped the game in. One thought that I had almost immediately was, "Am I playing Uncharted 2 again?" I forgot that Nolan North is now apparently the new "thing" for videogame voiceover work..

Does he voice Enzio (or whatever the main character's name is)? North also did the Prince in the last PoP. I like him, but unless he changes his voice acting significantly for each role, it would get a little weird...like having Drake dressed up in Renaissance costumes or whatever.

Does he voice Enzio (or whatever the main character's name is)? North also did the Prince in the last PoP. I like him, but unless he changes his voice acting significantly for each role, it would get a little weird...like having Drake dressed up in Renaissance costumes or whatever.
No he isn't Ezio Auditore da Firenze (thank God.) He does Desmond Miles, the guy in the future. It really is a little disconcerting to hear that same voice come out because then all I do is imagine Drake doing all the dialog. I've played very little of the game so far (not even past the "tutorial" levels) but it doesn't help that some of the dialog could be easily swapped between the two games. Still, so far I'm having quite a bit of fun, and I haven't even gotten to the part where he becomes an assassin yet.

I started playing a little of it today. I read from reviews that the controls were a little stiff in compare on this version. After playing for awhile, I agree.

The first game I completed on the pc. I really wish the AC2 pc version was released now. Some reason I can get into it like I want to sitting on couch or in my bedroom. I would prefer it at my pc.

So far I've enjoyed this game quite a bit, but I've noticed a few "off" things. As part of my "Console Affirmative Action" program I picked up the PS3 version as opposed to the 360 one, and while I read that the 360 is a better graphic experience overall, I've noticed a bunch of weird behavior. The frame rate seems a little off, like it's being run by a PC that can't QUITE achieve that desired 30/60fps. Also, there's TONS of screen tearing, to where all I have to do is just turn and it's visible. Finally, there's a LOT of pop-in effects, and not even from long distances. I'll be running across some roofs and an area that is empty will be populated by thieves when I'm about 1 second away from it. All of these things do hurt the immersion factor, but not enough to truly detract from the experience as a whole. The game is definitely an improvement over AC1. It's like AC1 took itself too seriously and was rather pompous about how it did things, like having your home base at the top of a f-ing MOUNTAIN and having assassination victims who just got their throats cut give 5+ minute ramblings about crap you don't care about. This is more laid back and has more of a human touch.

Problem with Yahtzee is that he has never liked any game, ever. His reviews can be funny, but don't do squat as far as telling you how good a game really is.

Problem with Yahtzee is that he has never liked any game, ever. His reviews can be funny, but don't do squat as far as telling you how good a game really is.
He focuses more on the negatives of a game, but he has definitely liked games before. Look at his reviews of The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Batman: Arkham Asylum, No More Heroes, AC 1 + 2, inFamous, Saint's Row 2, etc. I agree that they're more entertaining than they are informative, but I feel he definitely makes some valid points in his reviews.

He focuses more on the negatives of a game, but he has definitely liked games before. Look at his reviews of The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Batman: Arkham Asylum, No More Heroes, AC 1 + 2, inFamous, Saint's Row 2, etc. I agree that they're more entertaining than they are informative, but I feel he definitely makes some valid points in his reviews.

I have not watched all of those, but I did watch his review of inFamouns while I was playing it and that was far from an endorsement of the game (which I found to be a very enjoyable game). I mean you can pick out negatives in any type of entertainment medium (game, movie, book, show, etc.). I guess it just gets old to me after a while.

Okay back OT..

No one else has noticed screen tearing or pop-in issues on the PS3? Or has no one else bothered with that version and instead did PC or 360?

I might post a video tonight demonstrating what I mean. I'm always looking for loose excuses to try out my new HD camcorder..

I hear "screen tearing" all the time in video game forums, but I don't know what it looks like (I've seen "glitches" during games I'm playing from time to time, but didn't know if it had a name). I'd personally be interested in seeing what it looks like if you get around to it. I googled "Assassin's Creed II PS3 screen tearing" but didn't find anything worthwhile. Please avoid showing spoilers, however, if you can, as I'll be picking up ACII at some point down the road. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)