SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hi all,
I am getting my AT-9 set up tommorow.
So far Things I have to make sure of include.....

Obviously making sure all my channels work, SD as well as HD.
Make sure my signal strengh should be in the high 80's to 90's (HR20-700)

How about the MPEG4 side, should I have signal on both 99 and 103 ...

I am in NW Ohio, I do get FSN- Detroit, pay extra, but I do get it.
I am counting on being able to get the rest of theTigers season in HD (home games) and looking forward to seeing the Red Wings in HD as well.

Is FSN - D on the 99 or 103 ?
Locals in HD are not available yet thru sat, I have an OTA antenna that works great.... I know I'll have to wait for the tuner to be turned on.

Am I missing anything, before the installer gets here tommorow afternoon ?

btw, he better make it, I had to take time off work to do this.
scheduled for 1-5 pm
Does this unit have a RF remote ?

Jimbo

Jimbos, make sure your signal on the 101 is high also my signals are 96-97 pretty much across the board...I just had my AT9 installed today by bluegrass satellite, and I am very very Happy with it and my HR20!

stuart628 said:
Jimbos, make sure your signal on the 101 is high also my signals are 96-97 pretty much across the board...I just had my AT9 installed today by bluegrass satellite, and I am very very Happy with it and my HR20!
I am glad to hear you had a good experience,
This will be the 1st time a D* employee has ever been to my house.
Did you have to prompt him to do the sat signal right, it sounds like you are peaked about perfect, I would be estatic with high 90's... Of course with nothing to use as a mesuring stick we really don't know how good mid 90's is, the old DISH units use to go up to 125 for a top signal.... but I will be happy with 90's.
Are your MPEG4 signals just as high ?

Thanks Stuart,
Jimbo

Jimbos, no actually he sat me down and explained everything to me, even showed me two monopoles before I could ask if he was going to put those up, the signal strength was all on him...also yes my Mpeg4s are I believe high 80's like 89, to 90, I will check though as I dont want to make a fool out of myself and say something that isnt true.

stuart628 said:
Jimbos, no actually he sat me down and explained everything to me, even showed me two monopoles before I could ask if he was going to put those up, the signal strength was all on him...also yes my Mpeg4s are I believe high 80's like 89, to 90, I will check though as I dont want to make a fool out of myself and say something that isnt true.
I hope I get a knowlegable installer, it sounded like your guy knew what he was doing.
There will be no Monopoles on my set up, unless they can work some kinda magic, it's going on a pole.

Jimbo

As it turns out, it has been a disappointing weekend so far....
I will now be installed Sunday morning.
While talking with the installer (supervisor) who is coming out to do the job, we were talking about signal meters and signals for the AT-9.
He says that the HR20 tops out in the 70's for signal strengh, I told him I have heard of better than that and he says 70 is the top.
I questioned whether he was talking about the H-20 and he said no , the HR20.

What signals are you all getting with the HR20-700 ???

Thanks for all the input.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
As it turns out, it has been a disappointing weekend so far....
I will now be installer Sunday morning.
While talking with the installer (supervisor) who is coming out to do the job, we were talking about signal meters and signals for the AT-9.
He says that the HR20 tops out in the 70's for signal strengh, I told him I have heard of better than that and he says 70 is the top.
I questioned whether he was talking about the H-20 and he said no , the HR20.

What signals are you all getting with the HR20-700 ???

Thanks for all the input.

Jimbo

My HR20 reads for 101 all trans in the 95-97

110 = 91-93

119 = 43-98

99 =61-83

103= 83-82

Hope this his some help. Dont know if it is because I'm in GA.

sguest9 said:
My HR20 reads for 101 all trans in the 95-97

110 = 91-93

119 = 43-98

99 =61-83

103= 83-82

Hope this his some help. Dont know if it is because I'm in GA.
Thanks,
Yes it will help , this way I can have some numbers to throw at him.
He did say that the dish is set up to average all sat, to get the highest signal on all sats, so say the 101 is 92 and the 110 is 90 and the 119 is 85 well say and the 99 and 103 are coming in at say 70's, he says the dish is designed to make adjustments for fine tuning, potentially bringing the 99 and 103 up to maybe 80 and the others down into the 80's , is how I am understanding it. these are just examples I am giving you... Well see tommorow.
I hope I don't have to go out and work on it myself later, of course I may end up setting up another one anyways, I usually do this stuff myself,but decided to have them do it because this dish is a bit different.

jimbo

Well I guess I need bluegrass to come back and re-peak mine. All 3 regular ones have a good signal. But the 99* which has my locals on it is 55-62 on a clear nice day. Had occasional breakups last night. Although it never did fall out in a good rain last week. I just don't trust that low of a signal.
I climbed up and looked at AT9 but with so many adjustments, I think I will just let them come back out.

I checked all transponders on all satellites and my lowest was 89. All others where in high 90's. I did a brand new install and took the old satellite down. I had the dish mounted higher on the house, and cut tree branches, thus the vast signal improvement. On the old dish I had everything in the 80's.

skakusha said:
I checked all transponders on all satellites and my lowest was 89. All others where in high 90's. I did a brand new install and took the old satellite down. I had the dish mounted higher on the house, and cut tree branches, thus the vast signal improvement. On the old dish I had everything in the 80's.
Did you put it up yourself ???

If it's not where I want it, I wil go out and adjust it myself, if I have too.
Once I see how he puts it together, I know I can do it, it's just the first time for me with this dish.

My ordeal this w/e is why I tend to do all my installs myself.

GB33,
Try going to the sig strenth meter and do out to the dish and slightly apply pressure from side to side and then up and down and see if they ge any better, if so make the appropriate adjustments.
btw, only make very slight adjustments when you looses the nut and bolts. You don't want to lose your signal all together.

I already had my installer check for any obstructions, and he said I am WELL over the trees in question.

Jimbo

I had the install done by a D* installer. he told me he was a subcontractor of Mastac. I may be in the minority group on this, but I always pay the installers extra cash which ensures a great job. As much as I enjoy watching TV, NFL ST, and spent on HR20's, I think it is a worthy investment. I should post install pictures, because it was one of the best jobs ever done for me on an install. I did have a custom job done, which I negotiated with the installer when he arrived.

A few years a go when I had a Voom install I had similar problems you did. I found an installer on Craig's list and paid them to fix it. I then sent the bill to Voom and fought hard for the credit, which I received. I know it sucks to pay for a free install, but it's either that or doing it yourself.

Good luck!

skakusha said:
I had the install done by a D* installer. he told me he was a subcontractor of Mastac. I may be in the minority group on this, but I always pay the installers extra cash which ensures a great job. As much as I enjoy watching TV, NFL ST, and spent on HR20's, I think it is a worthy investment. I should post install pictures, because it was one of the best jobs ever done for me on an install. I did have a custom job done, which I negotiated with the installer when he arrived.

A few years a go when I had a Voom install I had similar problems you did. I found an installer on Craig's list and paid them to fix it. I then sent the bill to Voom and fought hard for the credit, which I received. I know it sucks to pay for a free install, but it's either that or doing it yourself.

Good luck!
The installer seemed like a good guy (supervisor, like I mentioned before). It just a case of getting him here.
I intend to tip him provided I get the install I expect. I have no problem with him so far, my issues is with phone people mostly.
I do telephone repair, so I know what these guy's go thru, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

so far.
I have already removed the H-10 that I have been using,and moved it and have it up and running in the bedroom.. Only problem with that is IF he doesn't get here, I will miss the ST in HD today...
Steelers don't play till Monday so I'm not to worried, but I would like to see the other games as well.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Well guy's he said he would be here 10-12 Sunday morning.
I called him at 1:30 and he said he was running about an hour and a half late, but he would be there shortly ..... Called him back at 3:30 still not here, he said he would be here soon..... He showed up at 4:15 and we did the swap out and replaced the dish.
He had been telling me that the best they have been getting on the AT-9 dish was 70, I told him that would not be good.... I was up there observing and he was helpful , showing me how everthing worked, had the Birdog hooked up, and sure enough, the highest he got was 70.....
Then when we came inside and ran thru the set up, I checked the sat signal and they were mostly mid 90's
I did not realize that the 110 only had 3 working traansponers in my area.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I called him at 1:30 and he said he was running about an hour and a half late, but he would be there shortly ..... Called him back at 3:30 still not here, he said he would be here soon..... He showed up at 4:15 and we did the swap out and replaced the dish.
He had been telling me that the best they have been getting on the AT-9 dish was 70, I told him that would not be good.... I was up there observing and he was helpful , showing me how everthing worked, had the Birdog hooked up, and sure enough, the highest he got was 70.....
Then when we came inside and ran thru the set up, I checked the sat signal and they were mostly mid 90's

Jimbo

I think there are only three transponders on 110 nationwide.

Jimbos said:

Jimbo

He is probably attenuating the signal on his birdog, I had to do the same thing on my satellite finder. Otherwise, you get to high a signal and you cannot fine tune it accurately enough.

BTW, I get 96 on the 99 degree satellite.

I cannot check my Signal strentgh tonight as I am recording and the machine will not allow you to check them while recording, without stopping the recording.
I seem to think it was rather low, like 50-60 something like that, but I don't think I have any programming on the 99 yet.
I think the 103 has my RSN on it FS Detroit , it also is rather low or so it would seem, but I have not had an oppertunity to see if they work yet, no HD games on till like next tuesday ), next week...

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)