AT&T Directv Puerto Rico

Status
Please reply by conversation.
According to the other site, the PBS they dropped was the National PBS feed, of which there is NO M/C requirement.

I happened to come across this...there IS a full-powered local VI PBS, along with a translator that serves the VI. So maybe the reason why the National PBS was dropped by E*, was due to that they should have been carrying the actual, local VI PBS station in the first place...perhaps E* had issues with getting their signal to their Local Receive Facility, & they'll add it in the near future:

Home

WTJX-TV - Wikipedia

I happened to come across this...there IS a full-powered local VI PBS, along with a translator that serves the VI. So maybe the reason why the National PBS was dropped by E*, was due to that they should have been carrying the actual, local VI PBS station in the first place...perhaps E* had issues with getting their signal to their Local Receive Facility, & they'll add it in the near future:

Home

WTJX-TV - Wikipedia

Yes, VI has a nearly complete set of locals... If they were on Directv, I suspect it would look like this:

12 WTJX (PBS)
17-1 WVXF (This)
17-2 WVXF2 (Fox)
19 WVGN (NBC)
22 WMNS (CBS)
23 WCVI (LeSea)
35 WSEE (CW)
43 WZVI (ion)

For CW, I think they get WSEE from PA for some reason. Other regions in the Caribbean do. It is possible they would also get channel 2 WKAQ Telemundo from PR, that is listed for them on a few sites I looked at. I have no idea what they get for ABC, maybe WORA 5-2 from PR? WZVI used to be ABC but now they are ION.

Yes, VI has a nearly complete set of locals... If they were on Directv, I suspect it would look like this:

12 WTJX (PBS)
17-1 WVXF (This)
17-2 WVXF2 (Fox)
19 WVGN (NBC)
22 WMNS (CBS)
23 WCVI (LeSea)
35 WSEE (CW)
43 WZVI (ion)

For CW, I think they get WSEE from PA for some reason. Other regions in the Caribbean do.

Well WSEE does carry CW on it's .2 subchannel in it's local, broadcasting area...but I doubt it's being sent to the VI. Actually since there does NOT seem to be any local CW in the VI itself, then D* (or E*) could legally offer a DNS CW feed with no issues....which is most likely what D* would do, since they already offer one. E* may have offered one of their DNS/Superstation CW's, to the VI, for the same reason D* could offer. (but I have no idea if they did, since I don't think they list those DNS feeds on their locals look-up tool)

I have no idea what they get for ABC, maybe WORA 5-2 from PR?

No, there is a local OTA feed on WCVI's .2 channel, which D* can easily offer. It's a feed of WENY, Elmira, NY...which is owned by the same company, Lilly Broadcasting, as WSEE's CBS feed...who leases the subchannel from WCVI:

WCVI-TV - Wikipedia
WENY-TV - Wikipedia

Well WSEE does carry CW on it's .2 subchannel in it's local, broadcasting area...but I doubt it's being sent to the VI. Actually since there does NOT seem to be any local CW in the VI itself, then D* (or E*) could legally offer a DNS CW feed with no issues....which is most likely what D* would do, since they already offer one. E* may have offered one of their DNS/Superstation CW's, to the VI, for the same reason D* could offer. (but I have no idea if they did, since I don't think they list those DNS feeds on their locals look-up tool)

No, there is a local OTA feed on WCVI's .2 channel, which D* can easily offer. It's a feed of WENY, Elmira, NY...which is owned by the same company, Lilly Broadcasting, as WSEE's CBS feed:

WCVI-TV - Wikipedia
WENY-TV - Wikipedia

In that Wikipedia article for WCVI, I mentions the previous affiliation for WCVI with the CW. It also mentions that people in the VI get WSEE from Erie PA now. "On April 17, 2014, Virgin Blue reached a deal to sell WCVI-TV to LeSEA Broadcasting Corporation; the sale was completed on July 27, 2014, with LeSEA assuming ownership on July 28, 2014.[1] Upon acquisition, WCVI dropped its CW programming in exchange for programs from LeSEA and World Harvest. It was unknown where CW network programming will be carried in the USVI area at the time of the transaction becoming final, but CW programming is seen on cable channel 13 via WSEE-DT2 in Erie, Pennsylvania on pay television."

I didn't see that ABC listed, so yes they'd get that.

I didn't see that part re: CW...if that's the case, then most likely, that's also where D* would also get it from. However, because there doesn't seem to be an OTA feed for WSEE-DT2, they wouldn't (legally) have to get it from there...BUT with how retrans agreements seem to work, D* would probably end up getting it via them by default. So then D* would then have the full complement of the major TV networks in VI.

Went to kmart purchased an hd outdoor antenna picked up only two channels none are network channels.

Went to kmart purchased an hd outdoor antenna picked up only two channels none are network channels.
Fwiw, there no such thing as an HD Antenna ... thats just a marketing ploy.
Any antenna will pick up HD if its out there and the signal is strong enough.

And, I dare say, your odds of getting a GOOD antenna are better if it doesn’t have the work TERK on it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Way back in the late 1900's as in 1999 or 2000, I got a New HD TV ... I threw an old outdoor TV antenna that had been in my Dads garage for 30 years on the set and went thru the OTA programming and got all the current HD channels ... there was ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox was coming soon .... of course back then it was only in HD for Prime time and sometimes you had to call into the station and have them "Flip the Switch" as it wasn't a computer program at that time turning it on.
You'd watch the show to the 1st commercial and if it wasn't in HD, you'd call in and when they came back from commercial, it was in HD !

Spoke with D* rep yesterday,he said the same thing the local cable co is saying.
The network providers want too much.Dish network made a deal why can't they

Dish already has most of the customers who care about getting the VI locals, since those who feel strongly about it will have chosen them over Directv (and it sounds like over the local cable company if they also do not have them) Making the deal isn't only agreeing to pay what is being asked, but also spending a lot of money installing equipment, provisioning communication lines, etc. to make it possible for Directv to deliver those locals to where they can broadcast them via satellite.

Directv would need to install what they call a "local receive facility" or LRF somewhere on your island (usually co-located with one of the TV stations) which receives the local stations' broadcasts either by fiber provided and paid for by the local station or via OTA reception equipment Directv pays for, and then must use a private line to get them to one of Directv's uplink facilities to be uplinked to the satellite where more equipment is required to properly encode them for broadcast. And dedicate a portion of their valuable transponder space for them - which is at a premium where Puerto Rico is concerned since they have more locally destined content than they have spot beams specifically dedicated for PR.

There are still a dozen DMAs in the US that do not have any locals provided by Directv, and that's despite the fact that the T14 satellite launched almost five years has spotbeams designated for some of those dozen markets! I can only conclude they didn't feel they'd ever get a return on the cost of setting up an LRF in those DMAs, due to Directv probably not having a lot of customers in those markets due to not having locals in those markets. I imagine the same calculation is true for the VI locals, so even if they could get a BETTER deal than Dish they still might not think it is worth it. They'd need to induce enough new customers in VI to switch from another provider to Directv and make enough money off them to pay back the investment of setting everything up. Sorry, but that's business and that's how they are going to look at it.

So we are being held hostage by locals we can't even get with an outdoor antenna.
What ever happened to that waiver rule ?

When Puerto Rico was still on the DTVLA platform from G3C several local Puerto Rico channels were fibered to CBC for uplink. Not sure if those fiber circuits are still in use.

Dish already has most of the customers who care about getting the VI locals, since those who feel strongly about it will have chosen them over Directv (and it sounds like over the local cable company if they also do not have them) Making the deal isn't only agreeing to pay what is being asked, but also spending a lot of money installing equipment, provisioning communication lines, etc. to make it possible for Directv to deliver those locals to where they can broadcast them via satellite.

Directv would need to install what they call a "local receive facility" or LRF somewhere on your island (usually co-located with one of the TV stations) which receives the local stations' broadcasts either by fiber provided and paid for by the local station or via OTA reception equipment Directv pays for, and then must use a private line to get them to one of Directv's uplink facilities to be uplinked to the satellite where more equipment is required to properly encode them for broadcast. And dedicate a portion of their valuable transponder space for them - which is at a premium where Puerto Rico is concerned since they have more locally destined content than they have spot beams specifically dedicated for PR.

There are still a dozen DMAs in the US that do not have any locals provided by Directv, and that's despite the fact that the T14 satellite launched almost five years has spotbeams designated for some of those dozen markets! I can only conclude they didn't feel they'd ever get a return on the cost of setting up an LRF in those DMAs, due to Directv probably not having a lot of customers in those markets due to not having locals in those markets. I imagine the same calculation is true for the VI locals, so even if they could get a BETTER deal than Dish they still might not think it is worth it. They'd need to induce enough new customers in VI to switch from another provider to Directv and make enough money off them to pay back the investment of setting everything up. Sorry, but that's business and that's how they are going to look at it.

When Puerto Rico was still on the DTVLA platform from G3C several local Puerto Rico channels were fibered to CBC for uplink. Not sure if those fiber circuits are still in use.

They still deliver Puerto Rico locals for PR customers, so those locals have to be delivered from the PR LRF to one of the two main or 4 regional uplink sites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)