AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

Just like other companies, just because you aren't making boxes, doesn't mean you can't continue to sell service, most of the time its a refurbed box anymore anyways ...
I have 2 refurbed D* boxes I'm using right now that have worked great for years now.

Keep in mind that, just because they service you with internet, doesn't mean that they have U TV there.
If you've already had U TV in that location, then they really should give it to you again, if you ask for it.

There are plenty of people around who still have Uverse in my neighborhood, despite AT&T jacking up the pricing, although that is shrinking pretty fast as a lot of people move to Hulu+Live, YTTV, and the like. It was available when we moved in 3 years ago -- we just chose not to go with it because their 6-tuner box had been hamstrung by a firmware update to only allow 4 active tuners. We couldn't get DirecTV, which we had at our previous house, due to LOS issues, so we got Dish, which was great until we realized what we watched on it only amounted to about 10% of our total viewing hours. That wasn't a Dish issue per se. It would be true of any traditional linear delivery service, including YTTV like we have now. At least with YTTV we don't have to switch TV inputs.

I realize that boxes get refurbed, and we probably would have ended up with refurbed boxes had we signed up 3 years ago. I also know those boxes are getting really long in the tooth, and the failure rate has to be getting pretty high at this point.

Absolutely.

But if your getting it for free for signing up with Directv why not.

I know very few people who continue to subscribe after the free year is over.

Also, there are lots of people who are on auto pay, paying for it and have no idea they have it.

Once you get it for free, it stays on the account until you remove it.
Can you drop Sunday Ticket and get Red Zone?

I keep forgetting about Dish Network having more channel carriage disputes than DTV. Which is why having them merge would not be great.

I keep forgetting about Dish Network having more channel carriage disputes than DTV. Which is why having them merge would not be great.

As long as Charlie is not part of the merged company I don’t see that being an issue.

If a merger does happen and Charlie is in control, Charlie would have more power and the disputes are going to get worse because their will be a larger customer base, and for most people switching to Directv will no longer be another option

As long as Charlie is not part of the merged company I don’t see that being an issue.

If a merger does happen and Charlie is in control, Charlie would have more power and the disputes are going to get worse because their will be a larger customer base, and for most people switching to Directv will no longer be another option
The bean counters would be in control..not Charlie

According to this they are sounding like AT&T should keep DTV.

According to this they are sounding like AT&T should keep DTV.

It doesn’t matter to 90% of the customers if they have Directv or AT&T Tv.

All customers care about today is the price they are paying and if they can get the channels they want.

They don’t care if the content is delivered via satellite Dish or via the internet.

There are a few customers who will do their homework on this, and will likely choose to stick with Directv.

But a majority of the customers don’t care, as long as they can turn on their Tv and it works.

The only issue I would have with AT&T Tv is if I was using an internet provider other than AT&T and was subject to data caps.

I prefer to leave the Tv on as background noise when I’m not watching it. Especially at work, I usually leave Fox News running in the background

It doesn’t matter to 90% of the customers if they have Directv or AT&T Tv.

All customers care about today is the price they are paying and if they can get the channels they want.

They don’t care if the content is delivered via satellite Dish or via the internet.

There are a few customers who will do their homework on this, and will likely choose to stick with Directv.

But a majority of the customers don’t care, as long as they can turn on their Tv and it works.

The only issue I would have with AT&T Tv is if I was using an internet provider other than AT&T and was subject to data caps.

I prefer to leave the Tv on as background noise when I’m not watching it. Especially at work, I usually leave Fox News running in the background
Fewer and fewer customers want channels

Reactions: ncted
I don’t buy that

I just moved to a spectrum area and was thinking about their locals+pick 10 cable channels package.

I looked thru the list and had trouble picking out 10 must have channels, only really needed 2 (CNN and Food Network for my wife), the rest of the channels are just so filled with reruns they are just not worth it, FX shows are now on Hulu next day, AMC shows are shown multiple times during the week, the same episode over and over which is just a waste of time in today’s DVR world.

We do not watch sports so I hate paying for that, live TV is just not a value anymore, not enough new stuff, especially when you add up all the extra fees, I get more value from Netflix and the likes.

Fewer and fewer customers want channels
I do ...

I prefer to "See Whats On TV"
Instead of trying to find something that might be one whatever Streaming service I have ...
Also, with the Streaming options and the shows scattering, it sometime may take 3 or 4 subscriptions to get what you use to get channel wise before.
Also, I don't really want to have to change various services to try and find the show I want to watch once I do decide on What I want to watch.

If I want to watch the Football game(s) I want to have them all on one format.

Reactions: comp9
I do ...

I prefer to "See Whats On TV"
Instead of trying to find something that might be one whatever Streaming service I have ...
Also, with the Streaming options and the shows scattering, it sometime may take 3 or 4 subscriptions to get what you use to get channel wise before.

But isn’t that kind of the same thing with Traditional Providers, to get a specific channel you have to upgrade to a certain package?

DirecTV has 4 channel packages if I remember correctly, then the add ons like HBO and NFL.

But isn’t that kind of the same thing with Traditional Providers, to get a specific channel you have to upgrade to a certain package?

DirecTV has 4 channel packages if I remember correctly, then the add ons like HBO and NFL.
Yes, but with Streaming , you have to go to various different COMPANIES, vs a different package.

Your not paying 5 different companies for your TV .

Yes, but with Streaming , you have to go to various different COMPANIES, vs a different package.

Yet, somehow, I still end up paying less with streaming, and I am paying for less crap that I don't want to watch.

Reactions: lparsons21

And that’s difficult how? I’ve been doing that for years, including those years I had cable/sat. You probably have too. Netflix, Hulu and others have been around for years with big subscription levels. Going all streaming just changes how many just a bit more.

And that’s difficult how? I’ve been doing that for years, including those years I had cable/sat. You probably have too. Netflix, Hulu and others have been around for years with big subscription levels. Going all streaming just changes how many just a bit more.
If I went all streaming it would also add another $40 to my internet bill ...

When I end up streaming a show during a month, I usually come real close to going over the data limit ...

If I went all streaming it would also add another $40 to my internet bill ...

When I end up streaming a show during a month, I usually come real close to going over the data limit ...

Yeah, data caps are an issue for many. For me I had to bump up my level to get enough data to support full time streaming. Cost was $10/month more.

EDIT: But for me streaming gives me more flexibility and at a lower cost overall. Not as significant as I had initially thought it would because of what I ended up subbing to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts