AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

that article is a pull from the Post

While I am in no way defending the Post's quality of reporting, I can think of many far less reputable news sources that people rely on these days. I was just sharing, not making any value judgement.

I worked there for 18yrs and am very familiar with the infrastructure and satellite fleet.
Just curious, but may I ask which years you were there?

I always thought the early years were the neatest, with all new technology and equipment you could buy and install on your own, with pretty much every channel and sports package that you couldn’t get on cable with better picture quality. Those were the days. :cool:

Yes, but with Streaming , you have to go to various different COMPANIES, vs a different package.

Your not paying 5 different companies for your TV .
You can drop a service for a month or 2 and then pick it up again when there is something to watch...try that with direc tv

Reactions: ncted
1996 through 2014. It was a blast, every day a new adventure and I worked with some really brilliant people.

Just curious, but may I ask which years you were there?

I always thought the early years were the neatest, with all new technology and equipment you could buy and install on your own, with pretty much every channel and sports package that you couldn’t get on cable with better picture quality. Those were the days. :cool:

Reactions: Jimbo
I have 18yrs of stories.

Like the time my uplink site was transmitting some content through a non DirecTV satellite for testing some new compression related equipment and a demonstration was brewing for I think the guy that designed the equipment. I forget what content was on air but someone on the receiving side requested we change the "talking head" content to something more lively before the VIP showed up . I had to be careful not to put HBO or something with licensing restrictions on this test channel and while scanning a hundred plus monitors for something interesting I saw a Dish Network logo on an international feed we had. Long story why DirecTV had a Dish Network feed, but I had the Dish Network logo routed to the test feed.

So somewhere in DTV engineering a guy shows up to view the first test transmissions through some new DirecTV equipment and he sees a Dish Network logo. We waited. Eventually the phone rings and they ask for me and about all they could say was "uhhhh, ummmmmm, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for a long time then they asked if there was anything funny going on with the test transmission?????

Not sure if they appreciated it, but I love a good prank.

Is there anything else you can tell us, without revealing too many secrets. LOL

Yes, but with Streaming , you have to go to various different COMPANIES, vs a different package.

Your not paying 5 different companies for your TV .
Well actually, you are. Maybe not directly, but it’s the same difference.

Then, If the company you do pay, decides they don’t want to pay one of those different companies, you lose their channels, yet pay the same price

With streaming, if you decide you don’t want to pay one of those companies, you save that money.

There are some advantages to that model.

Reactions: Juan
Well actually, you are. Maybe not directly, but it’s the same difference.

Then, If the company you do pay, decides they don’t want to pay one of those different companies, you lose their channels, yet pay the same price

With streaming, if you decide you don’t want to pay one of those companies, you save that money.

There are some advantages to that model.
So far, they still can't give me the Sunday Ticket ..... so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)