AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

Of course...thats how they do things....bell atlantic had a small fiber to the home project in 1994...did tv, internet and phone...they had VOD...someone sitting in the CO popping in video tapes when a customer requested a movie...they stopped..went to wireless 3g...stopped..went to fios..stopped..tried 4g wireless to the home and failed..now on 5g wireless....waiting for 6g

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You ever notice they are usually the LAST ones to get into a project every other company is already in ?

They don't take risks...when you are swimming in cash you play conservatively...look on the brightside..you ceo didnt pay a premium for AOL..brag about it and then get shown the door out

• Haha
Reactions: ncted
If everything eventually goes to a streaming app and channels go away, then I could see ATT getting rid all of their TV products and just go 5g and HBO/Max. I remembered an article that thought maybe even cable companies could just go all internet and that's it.

I didn't see anyone streaming in '97, even with T1's ...
T1's are very slow in todays age.
I worked for an ISP in Charleston SC in the mid 90s called A World of Difference. We live-streamed Riverdogs baseball games over ISDN lines using Real Player (before it became adware). Most of our subscribers were on commercial internet connections (Frame-relay or better). The upstream from the game to the datacenter was only 128Kbps. It was obviously low quality video, but it was good enough to get businesses in the area interested in streaming.

Reactions: Jimbo and Juan
No..all internet traffic hits a verizon or att network backbone...same with all cell phones

Actually, Lumen (formerly CenturyLink/Level 3) has the largest tier 1 backbone by route miles in the US.

I also remember reading that the reason they wanted AT&T TV was to get rid of the union jobs at the DTV plants? That it would be cheaper to maintain servers? I could be wrong on that also. If they wanted to get rid of the union jobs why keep the DTV distribution centers and the satellites?
Unless the DirecTV employees were forced into a union after ATT bought them, there was no union at DirecTV before that.

Not true. There was several technician unions in several markets Many were part of the local electrical union
Are you sure your not thinking about ATT ?
They have been union .

A Good portion of the Installers / repair for D* before ATT took over were sub contractors.

Not true. There was several technician unions in several markets Many were part of the local electrical union
Interesting, I worked at DIrecTV for 18yrs and we joked about ATT possibly brining in the CWA union as we never heard of any union connected with DTV. We had techs, engineers, building facilities workers, IT, office workers, you name it at our location and no union anywhere.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts