AT&T moves ahead on Dish deal

I think that D* is waiting to start a free HD-DVR offer until this deal is anounced. I have heard a lot of people say they will move to D* if they had a free HD-DVR, and an equal number if dish would merge with the evil ATT.

I havn't heard many at all.... and those that I have heard... I'm sure were just said in gest.... I doubt they would follow through.

Dish has created a superior product... imho... and even if ATT were to take over.. and eventually ruin the product (IF) that would take some time to do.

I don't think they would allow themselves to ruin a great product... They REALLY need and want to be able to offer a great Video service.

I think DISH offers a much better product than DirectTV.... unless you are a sports freak of course. However, this could change if ATT took over. I think this could be one of the good things being overlooked by a possible DISH purchase by ATT. ATT may spend the money to get the other Sports programming.

I think DISH offers a much better product than DirectTV.... unless you are a sports freak of course. However, this could change if ATT took over. I think this could be one of the good things being overlooked by a possible DISH purchase by ATT. ATT may spend the money to get the other Sports programming.
Maybe we could get the extra innings package but I doubt sunday ticket. :(

hard to predict the future... when I was an AT&T cable sub... (before the SBC take over or the sell out to comcast). They did have a price increase... which I felt was totally worth it... They fixed some of my complaints at the time in soft picture... (plus added internet).

But also keep in mind... if you are in a contract with Dish... they will have to honer that contract just like you will... 18 months is still 18 months.

I can tell you that most techs hope this happens. The last 9 - 10 months have been nuts!!

Maybe we will get our health benefits back that Dish SCREWED us out of, telling us in so many words that we should be more concerned about the company's wealth than our family's health.
I have a question..Since all AT&T hourly workers are eligible to join the Communication Workers Union(CWA), do you or neyone else believe that DNSC techs will enjoy the same benefit ( non benefit) depending upon you perspective?..In any event if this buyout does occur, IMO techs and other hourly workers may very well see their pay go to union scale. Interesting.
I don't like unions but if the pay did go to union scale I would certianly be looking at this company to work for if the buyout did occur. Any thoughts out there?

I can tell you that most techs hope this happens. The last 9 - 10 months have been nuts!!

Maybe we will get our health benefits back that Dish SCREWED us out of, telling us in so many words that we should be more concerned about the company's wealth than our family's health.
you guys LOST you health insurance thru Dish?..Or is it you're having to pay a larger portion ?

Oh well, if this happens as FIOS is getting closer to the roll-out in my town, I will definetely switch. Now I understand why I have received a call from *E CSR offering me a free upgrade from 1 ViP622 to 1 ViP722 and from 2 ViP211 to 2 ViP222, the catch was to re-sign a 18 months contract. Needles to mention that I have refused the offer. Well if this deal take place I am forced to hang out with *E until FIOS is in my town, but when it gets there, bye bye DISH/AT&T.
I thought Verizon was the only local carrier in NJ. You say you have AT&T as your local now?...
If so, then Verizon (FiOS ) will not be coming to your area as Verizon is the sole distributor of FiOS service. Unless of course your area has TWO local carriers or you can choose your local carrier. In any event to get get FiOS it would require the stringing of FOC plant through your area. I could be wrong on this but it looked a little strange when you implied AT&T was your local telco.

Why are you all so negative?

AT&T did more in my area for support and service when they bought out Jones inter cable. And when they sold the area to Comcast customer service sure was not the same... Guess what way I thought it went.

I doubt what Dish offerers us to day will change for the worse. As then there would be a mass exit and everyone knows it... but on the positive side... AT&T has deeper pockets then Dish... can that hurt?

And I bet more content providers will work with AT&T more willingly then Charley. Not saying he has not done an outstanding job looking out for our pocket books... but at the moment content is king... look at DTV and their HD offerings. and listen to the grumblings here.... Need i digress more??
I don't want this buyout if AT&T will cave at the mere sight of any increase from a programmer. I submit to you that as a tech content is NOT king. Price is king. The number one cusomer feedback issue is that prices, mainly for cable, keep rising. Customers switch providers based on cost alone. As a customer of Charlie's, I will tell you that if AT&T buys this comany and then wusses out every time Viacom , Disney or whomever wants more money, I will ditch Dish in a New York minute. I pay enough as it is.

News on Dish & AT&T

From the Wall Street Journal

Dishing It Up:
AT&T-EchoStar
As Tie-Up Rumors Fly,
Bankers Vie for Invite
To Formal 'Bake-Off'
October 17, 2007; Page C3
Investors in orbit over a possible acquisition of EchoStar Communications by AT&T may want to return to earth.

Rumors about a tie-up were flying yesterday, stoked by reports from TheStreet.com and a Citigroup analyst. (Indeed, speculation took off in late September when EchoStar said it was considering separating its satellite-television business, known as Dish Network, from businesses including its cable set-top-box maker.) After speaking yesterday to bankers who follow the industry, we don't expect AT&T will be pulling the trigger on a purchase of the $23 billion satellite-TV company any time soon.

Why? Turns out a number of bankers have been pitching the Dish business to AT&T, but they haven't been solicited by the telecom giant in a formal "bake-off" to see who gets the gig. Also, should EchoStar go ahead with the breakup, it could have to go into a moratorium for an estimated six months to two years to keep the deal's tax-free status.

The September announcement could have been EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen's attempt to light a fire under any potential suitor, so there is no guarantee a deal won't come together in the next few months. Still, if AT&T were so eager to do a deal, why resort to what bankers call the "I'll shoot myself" strategy to bring them to the negotiating table?

Officials at both companies declined to comment.

--Dana Cimilluca, Dennis K. Berman

Private-Equity Boom's Downside

I have a question..Since all AT&T hourly workers are eligible to join the Communication Workers Union(CWA), do you or neyone else believe that DNSC techs will enjoy the same benefit ( non benefit) depending upon you perspective?..
That's not actually true. Most at&t hourly employees are covered by a union (CWA or IBEW) but not all of them. My wife was an hourly employee (Indiana Bell then Ameritech) for many years before moving into technical management (Ameritech, SBC and now at&t) and I can tell you the she was very happy to get out from under the CWA Bullsh!t.

Can we look forward to having union-represented satellite installers someday ?

Remember too, that will only apply to direct-employees, not contracted or retailer-employed installers. They'll be "scabs", in fact.

That's not actually true. Most at&t hourly employees are covered by a union (CWA or IBEW) but not all of them. My wife was an hourly employee (Indiana Bell then Ameritech) for many years before moving into technical management (Ameritech, SBC and now at&t) and I can tell you the she was very happy to get out from under the CWA Bullsh!t.
Ok. But if they wish to be represented, they may. I would imagine that Indiana is a "right to work " state. That means an employee is not required to be represented by a labor organization as a prerequesite to employemnt.
NC works the same way. MY two friends are AT&T employees and are both represented. I know two USPS letter carriers that are not represented by the govt workers union. Their choice.
IN any case, the union scale pay rates are observed for all employees.

Can we look forward to having union-represented satellite installers someday ?

Remember too, that will only apply to direct-employees, not contracted or retailer-employed installers. They'll be "scabs", in fact.
Correct. But it would not surprise me if the union attempted to solicit contractors and retail employees as well. Why not?..More members for them, more dues.

How many retailers or contractors will pay union wages though ? Also, I think that would do away with the (stupid) practice of the workers paying their own fuel, working by the job vs by the hour (think of the overtime !), and so on.

How many retailers or contractors will pay union wages though ? Also, I think that would do away with the (stupid) practice of the workers paying their own fuel, working by the job vs by the hour (think of the overtime !), and so on.

Probably very few. I know that here in the South many DNS contractors would simply stop accepting DNS work if they had to pay union scale. Besides many of us, myself included would not do this job if paid by thhour. The rate would have to be in the $25 per hour range and up to make up the difference. For example. If I dpo a 2 tv job I gross $100 on a standard install. Sicne our work is routed near our homes whenever possible gas really isn't a concern. I ususally drive about 350 miles per week. That's 5 days. I avg about 5 gallons per day. At $2.70 per gallon it's less than 15 bucks. I may use 100ft of cable on a hardwired job about a third of that on a prewired job. So let's say I have to wire the two tv's..That's maybe 5 bucks worth of wire, 5 bucks for the connectors and other stuff. I will spend about 15 dollars on that job for net profit of $80 or so. Give or take.. I get that done in 2 to 2.5 hrs. That's from the moment I get there til I leave. After taxes I am looking at about $55 to $60 for that job based on a 25% tax deduction..Of course my write off of all EQ/ and milage adds up....So basically my NET hourly rate would have to be about $25- $30 per hour. I don't think there is an emplyer out there willing ot pay that kind of money. To be fair though I realize there are techs that drive as much in a day as I do in a week. For them an hourly rate would at least make up for ther ridiculous amount of windshield time.
ANyway, the point is moot. The retailers and contractors will not go for it. However, Dish won't have a choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)