AT&T picks DirecTV for their DBS partner starting 2/1/2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ATT made a poor choice

there is no question that AT&t made a bad choice on this one,dish is a much better run company than directv.i believe AT&T will regret this decision in the future.

there is no question that AT&t made a bad choice on this one,dish is a much better run company than directv.i believe AT&T will regret this decision in the future.

Sorry I must disagree.I'm sure there have been AT&T subscribers upset because Dish lost MLB,VOOM,not having access to Sunday Ticket.Being sued by Tivo, not having Tivo.A DVR fee for each DVR.Higher priced Locals Dish $5. DirecTV $3..DirecTV has more national basic channels than Dish plus more HD channels&HD locals with a prediction for even more HD channels and HD locals for next year with the launch of D12.:rolleyes:

get your facts straight. I've been with E for 10 years and i can tell you Att made the right choice. Do a little reading about both companies before posting something like that

AT&T must have dropped them for some important reasons to make such a switchover like that and I am sure they were not for little things either.

How does the signal reach the receiver this way?

Qwest, too, offers a bundle package with Direct TV. Would the AT&T package work in a similar manner? For either Qwest or AT&T:
1) Does the signal come into your house and the satellite receiver via the traditional mini-dish, or mini-dishes depending on your location, or does (can?) the signal come through the fiber optic cables, or similar?
2) Would one have to drop Qwest phone and DSL and switch to AT&T? I'm not sure if that is an option in my area.
3) Any known or perceived differences between bundling Direct TV with Qwest as opposed to AT&T?

I've been with DISH almost as long as they've been around. The loss of the VOOM HD channels swept away almost all my brand loyalty to DISH. If I can get a bundle package with HD without the need for a dish, I'm just about ready to make that change.

(If it was available in my area, I'd sign up with Cablevsion or FIOS just to get VOOM back. I recently went to their website to see what they were offering nowadays. The depth and diversity on Monstervision and the Kung Fu channels made my heart ache. If only the powers that be could have worked things out.)

Just checked at CNBC.COM, DTV was unchanged, DISH was -11.65%, guess Wall Street didn't like the news.

1) Does the signal come into your house and the satellite receiver via the traditional mini-dish...?
Yes.

2) Would one have to drop Qwest phone and DSL and switch to AT&T?
Yes. To get the AT&T+D* bundle, you'd need an AT&T landline, or possibly AT&T DSL w/o a phone (dry loop DSL). Probably not available in your area, though. If AT&T wireless is in your area, they might offer a D* bundle. You'd have to ask them.

BellSouth and DirecTV partnered, AT&T partnered with Dish. AT&T purchases BellSouth and ends up with both DBS companies. When the DirecTV contract expired AT&T did not renew but said that when the Dish contract expired they would reevaluate both DBS companies then and could switch again, which looks like is exactly what they did.

BellSouth bought AT&T, and switched to the AT&T name, not the other way around.

Maybe with additional churn Dish Network will see the value of their existing customer base even more and see that it is cheaper to keep their existing good customers happy instead of acquiring worse new customers instead.
D*, along with FiOS TV and U-Verse, are continuing to acquire disgruntled cable customers…and unhappy E* customers in the process. E* had better work out their customer acquisition, customer satisfaction, and customer retention programs or they will have trouble going forward. Let’s face facts...D* is pummeling E* when it comes to marketing, and Cable and the Telcos offer a better value (bundled discounts).

Does this have any meaning or impact for the current DTV customer. DSL is not available in my area...(unsure why it is) so does this add any value of us current subscribers of DTV?

i would not recomment the Bundle pack, i have seen nothing but disaster from it. At&T Will promise alot of things the DTV will not give.

No SBC bought AT&t, took over the AT&T name, then bought BellSouth.

I have both AT&T and DirecTV and can't wait for the $5 (or whatever it will be) discount.

Maybe the discounts will be different this time around, we got a whopping $ 5 off our bill (at&t employee) if we has DISH, yippie.

I know we get 25 % off of our U-Verse if it's available to us.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)