AT&T starts metering data usage.

Last edited:
Heres mine just for my line

Starting from November when I got my first android phone .... ( since slacker/pandora dont lock up like they do on thebb )

Nov 3.2 gigs
Dec 6.17 gigs
Jan 8.98 gigs
Feb 6.4 gigs
Mar 7.13 gigs
April 8.52 gigs
May 8.37 gigs
June * current usage at 7.27 gigs.

They say existing customers can keep the unlimited data plan. However, I suspect they will eventually force me into one of their capped plans. Which is why, as much as I love AT&T, I am not going to renew my contract for any reason. I am under contract until Oct 2011. If they push me into one of those bogus capped plans, I will change carriers. Even if it means switching to the inferior CDMA network. If I can I will take my iPhone to T-Mobile. If I can't, Sprint's 4G network will likely be in full force by then.

They say existing customers can keep the unlimited data plan. However, I suspect they will eventually force me into one of their capped plans. Which is why, as much as I love AT&T, I am not going to renew my contract for any reason. I am under contract until Oct 2011. If they push me into one of those bogus capped plans, I will change carriers. Even if it means switching to the inferior CDMA network. If I can I will take my iPhone to T-Mobile. If I can't, Sprint's 4G network will likely be in full force by then.

As someone who has and used Every version of cell phone tell GSM is inferior to CDMA. In terms of making a call.

Pretty much any tech based off TDMA such as GSM and iDen have voice issue when on heavily used towers or on tower hand offs.

What funny is you make fun of CDMA but your GSM phone has a CDMA radio in it handling the Data you so nicely use.

HSPDA a revsion of UMTS is really just the wideband spec of CDMA known simply as WCDMA

GSM as you refer to it as is a just what you use to make and receive calls it stopped when 3g service game to GSM as GSM spec stops at EDGE . Hence why most of my GSM phones while being world phones ill work for making a call and edge data but seldom work for 3g data due to everyone using different 3g standards for data. Its why iphone (jailbroken) on tmobile does not go faster then EDGE .

Most people think GSM is superior because thanks to bad iphone adds think they can talk and surf on GSM. well you cant unless your in a 3g network ! why because while the GSM radio is handling your call the WCDMA radio handling your data . two radios doing two different things GSM is not responsible for that sorry.

CDMA unlike TDMA and its off spring ( gsm and iden ) was able to expain it core self past 2g status with the EVDO ext of CDMA spec. Now there is the Wideband ext of CDMA like what att uses for there 3g network . But for what ever reason most CDMA carriers around the world have been pushing LTE as a way to save battery life as LTE and Wimax specs that most are calling 4G since it just data and low latency high speed data calls can be made over the data connection using less power then traditional CDMA. The Evo can suck juice down like you would not believe because like iphones and other current ATT /Tmobile smartphones it has two radios running. Though the Evo is fine once you shut off the 4g ( only in markets where there is no 4g )

That is my rant for the day.

While that may be true, try using mobile data while on a call with CDMA. That and verizon's 3g is slower than AT&T and t-mobile. Quite a few of my friends have droids and the tablets at work use verizon. The data service on those tablets is slow as fu*k.

I think there is hardly a point in comparing GSM to CDMA as technology.
If only because location and implementation is much more important (on the user end) than the underlying technology used.

Diogen.

I do not think that AT&T will drop the unlimited 3G plan. But, they will get you off voluntarily. I have a feeling there will not be a 4G unlimited plan. To go to 4G you will have to give up unlimited data. I just hope they price 4G data less than 3G data (they should it is a lot less expensive for them).

As many have said before, AT&T needs to worry about getting 3G stable and expanded before worrying about 4G. If 3G is not in my area by next year. I will go Verizon. AT&T has put out press releases the last three years on how they are expanding 3G in Alabama and have not expanded much if any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)