AT&T Talks about their Network...

Sprint's version of 4G? I don't think formal, international standards for 4G have been finalized yet- but that didn't stop "N" / pre-N. We really ought to have and follow international standards for all future wireless in all forms, even if it delays deployment by a year.

Digiblur is right. It is the GSM network that will continue to give AT&T fits. This technology is just not designed for expanding populous. Verizon and Sprint will have far less problems adding an iphone to their line with CDMA. Also, Sprint is the most progressive in new technology by already moving ahead of the pack with 4G. AT&T will still be upgrading their 3G as Sprint expands 4G around the country.

The actor in the video didn't bother me as much as parts of the script that was just inaccurate. Fact- It was actually T-Mobile that pioneered the first data phone in the US. If we count the Motorola Flip phone with the modem adapter to a laptop, then I'll concede that it was Cellular One who was first with a 100 baud dialup that worked with text e-mail only. I used this in 1994.
well Verizon is gonna use the same standard ATT will use for their 4G network because their European partner is forcing them to. This will be the 4G version of GSM

Verizon expects 4G launch next year | 3GSM blog - CNET Reviews

LTE is not GSM. The reason why the CDMA isn't widely used as GSM, even though CDMA is a better solution, is the carriers have to license the CDMA from qualcomm.

LTE is not GSM. The reason why the CDMA isn't widely used as GSM, even though CDMA is a better solution, is the carriers have to license the CDMA from qualcomm.
umm GSMA is a standard organization LTE is the actual standard Verizon's 4G network will not be CDMA My actual point is that ATT and Verizon will be using the same standard for their 4G Network..so the 4G Iphone should be able to work on both networks

Several GSM operators around the world have also announced plans to use LTE, which means that Verizon 4G wireless subscribers will eventually be able to roam globally.

Last edited:
Just heard on the news that Apple is considering keeping the iphone with AT&T exclusive :( in the US. If so, that should cause AT&T stock to jump :) and Apple to drop :) We wait and see.

Money talk$. Might wait until 4G is widespread, and they have significant technology improvements.

Not on 64, just 81 then 40. Of course 64 & 81 run together for a few miles, as do 81 & 40. We weren't on constantly, but certainly most of the time.

Nashville area was 3G all the time, and fast.

I must admit, that at our office we get a strong signal, then low or nothing. It seems it's not the tower, it's the capacity of the tower. I don't think it can support as many users as there are in that industrial area. The AT&T signal availability there is better than Verizon and Sprint, but not good enough. The remaining Nextel users hate that part of town.

Regarding the video- why would they use this guy? Do they think the only folks concerned are fellow nerds? Maybe they're using other methods to get to the common man/customer.

81 sucks big time for cell service going through southwest va.

umm GSMA is a standard organization LTE is the actual standard Verizon's 4G network will not be CDMA My actual point is that ATT and Verizon will be using the same standard for their 4G Network..so the 4G Iphone should be able to work on both networks

Several GSM operators around the world have also announced plans to use LTE, which means that Verizon 4G wireless subscribers will eventually be able to roam globally.

Yes, there are differences between GSM and the air interface used by GSM. Most all the newer specifications are designed to work within a GSM network, but the air interface changes. GSM supports CDMA under the UMTS model. It now supports OFDM under the LTE model. The oldest form of GSM supported TDMA, which is way too slow for todays applications.

Qualcom's versions of CDMA (but maybe not all) are also supported under the UMTS version of GSM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts