AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What Scott Greczkowski mentions about the AT&T bigwig is fascinating to me. That's because I have questioned whether Dish Network and DirecTV want to be in the cable television business nowadays. The trend going toward streaming is part of the reason. The fact that a lot of people are finding subscribing to cable television a financial burden shows that the business model may be in trouble.

What Scott Greczkowski mentions about the AT&T bigwig is fascinating to me. That's because I have questioned whether Dish Network and DirecTV want to be in the cable television business nowadays. The trend going toward streaming is part of the reason. The fact that a lot of people are finding subscribing to cable television a financial burden shows that the business model may be in trouble.
How long till these Streaming site are high priced as well ?

Reactions: rapidturtle
if Verizon can manage to get their new subscription model down without EPSN killing it, then i think Cable TV will have a ways to go yet. everyone else will transition to that.

There will always be some market for DBS. If you live out in a rural area like I do, there will never be fast enough high capped broadband available to "stream" everything in HD or 4K. I know I am not the only one.

Reactions: AZ.
Well torrents are for a pretty small group over all.

I think there is certainly a place for Directv and its linear delivery system. Sure, the future for Comcast and other providers like Sling are via the Internet. When that happens I think people are in for a shock because:

You'll lose control of your local DVR and no telling when or if you'll ever get it back again.

Just think about that and what it i will mean for you, advertisers and the providers when they implement that when their programming contracts renew.

In addition, these services really aren't all that cheap when you compare everything. Quality is also suspect.

One other thing, in many areas AT&T is stuck with junk DSL. They are barely a competitor to Comcast who routinely offers 50mbs in a much larger foot print. AT&T has a huge bandwidth issue in many areas. I don't really know what the hell they are planning but Directv is only part of the equation. While their wireless service is strong they are going to have to make significant investments to even catch up, much less remain competitive, in the home broadband space.

Reactions: DS0816

One other thing, in many areas AT&T is stuck with junk DSL. They are barely a competitor to Comcast who routinely offers 50mbs in a much larger foot print. AT&T has a huge bandwidth issue in many areas. I don't really know what the hell they are planning but Directv is only part of the equation. While their wireless service is strong they are going to have to make significant investments to even catch up, much less remain competitive, in the home broadband space.

A good point. I think I read that AT&T is planning a service of up to 75 Mbps high-speed Internet level. The major metro cities are woefully limited. I am in the suburbs of the metro area of Detroit, Michigan — in Wayne County — and the four mobile wireless carriers deliver in this area on 4G. (Well, maybe or maybe not with Sprint.) And I didn't see Detroit, Michigan on the rollout list for that 75 Mbps of high-speed Internet from AT&T.

A good point. I think I read that AT&T is planning a service of up to 75 Mbps high-speed Internet level. The major metro cities are woefully limited. I am in the suburbs of the metro area of Detroit, Michigan — in Wayne County — and the four mobile wireless carriers deliver in this area on 4G. (Well, maybe or maybe not with Sprint.) And I didn't see Detroit, Michigan on the rollout list for that 75 Mbps of high-speed Internet from AT&T.
Currenty ATT is offering somewhere in the 75 Mbps range in some areas, they are using the U Verse set up of course and pair bonding the line, the largest issue they have with this type of set up is the distance that it can be pushed out.
All of the higher speeds ATT offers come directly out of the neighborhood VRAD cabinets.

Charlie has already said that satellite and cable are dying industries, and that is why he is looking for a mobile broadband setup. That was where SlingTV came from, but he has been at this for a few years now.

Charlie has already said that satellite and cable are dying industries, and that is why he is looking for a mobile broadband setup. That was where SlingTV came from, but he has been at this for a few years now.
I wouldn't call them dying, hell broadcast TV even is still alive. The GROWTH is gone from Cable and DBS, the customers just move from provider to provider. Many new customers (Gen Y/Millennials) are getting TV from streaming, OTA, elsewhere.

Netflix to FCC: Reject AT&T/DirecTV merger
May 5 2015, 11:04 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) is pressing the FCC to reject the $48B merger of AT&T (NYSE:T) and DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV), according to regulatory filings revealed today, on complaints about market power -- as the merger could "lead to its becoming the largest (Internet service provider) in the country as well" as becoming the biggest MVPD.
The remarks came as Netflix officials met with more than 20 FCC staff last week.
"Such market power creates new incentives and abilities to harm entities that AT&T perceives as competitive threats," Netflix reps said, "and will exacerbate the anticompetitive behavior in which AT&T has already engaged."
Netflix shares are up 3.8% today in the wake of BofA/Merrill Lynch's heavy upgrade; AT&T is down 1.2% and DirecTV is down 0.5%.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/248776...0:d3cd179661af7d693e80176f6633e6af#email_link

Interesting, wouldn't you think that Netflix would be in Favor of it, seeing THEY are a company that relies on the number of households with Internet ....
Without the internet, there is no Netflix.

Att D* merger really has nothing to do with them .... att is not taking Internet away from anyone that netflix is involved with now or in the future .... unless they are worried about att and thier possible on Demand in the future.

Reactions: AZ.
I think it has to do with their sheer size to compete and if hey want to play shady games with the Internet. Like what Comcast would most certainly do

Netflix is afraid of the sheer size that ATT gets when it it now comes to negoitating content costs and aquireing content. Directv is an entertainment company as well with the Audence Network and competes with netflix in aquireing content. I dont see Netflix's comments holding much weight at the FCC.

Not unless they deliver something of value to the FCC. Crying "I don't want it to happen" doesn't workor anyone, but Charlie. Then again, Charlie can spin things to work in his favor every time, so he has a lil clout. Netflix is not delivering anything that would hold back the FCC, other than a merger would just bulk up the company... Which is what a merger is suppose to do anyways.

Netflix is worried AT&T will throttle and limit their users' connections to Netflix servers.

I hope when the DirecTV and AT&T merger goes through our contracts will become void and we can cancel service without penalty.

Netflix is worried AT&T will throttle and limit their users' connections to Netflix servers.

I hope when the DirecTV and AT&T merger goes through our contracts will become void and we can cancel service without penalty.
Is there anything in your contract saying that you will be released in that case? I know Dish has a clause that if you do not agree with a change in the RSA, and you voice it within 20 days of the change, they will work with you on a final outcome, as is your consumer protected right. I'm thinking if ATT still abides by the terms of the commitment, then it would remain valid, as ownership doesn't legally auto void any commitment...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)