AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cogent joins Netflix in demanding conditions for AT&T/DirecTV combo
May 5 2015, 23:47 ET | About: Cogent Communications Grou... (CCOI) | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Cogent Communications (NASDAQ:CCOI) joined Netflix today in calling for conditions on the proposed merger of AT&T (NYSE:T) and DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV).
Data carriers like Cogent (along with firms like Netflix) are focused on interchange issues, the fees that a broadband behemoth could collect for accepting Internet traffic -- and their opposition, or the nature of it, could be good news for the deal, says industry analyst Craig Moffett.
The reason? The companies could be kingmakers by urging concessions, he says: They helped sink the Comcast-TWC deal, and now with AT&T/DirecTV, “two of the most ardent opponents are tacitly blessing the idea of the merger as long as there are appropriate conditions.”
The two say that a combined AT&T/DirecTV with no restrictions will have a bigger incentive to stymie streaming entertainment.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/249133...u:1b27c68346250a8b60798f6f8883972d#email_link

Cogent joins Netflix in demanding conditions for AT&T/DirecTV combo
May 5 2015, 23:47 ET | About: Cogent Communications Grou... (CCOI) | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Cogent Communications (NASDAQ:CCOI) joined Netflix today in calling for conditions on the proposed merger of AT&T (NYSE:T) and DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV).
Data carriers like Cogent (along with firms like Netflix) are focused on interchange issues, the fees that a broadband behemoth could collect for accepting Internet traffic -- and their opposition, or the nature of it, could be good news for the deal, says industry analyst Craig Moffett.
The reason? The companies could be kingmakers by urging concessions, he says: They helped sink the Comcast-TWC deal, and now with AT&T/DirecTV, “two of the most ardent opponents are tacitly blessing the idea of the merger as long as there are appropriate conditions.”
The two say that a combined AT&T/DirecTV with no restrictions will have a bigger incentive to stymie streaming entertainment.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/249133...u:1b27c68346250a8b60798f6f8883972d#email_link
Are they forgetting that ATT is only ONE way to get your internet ?
Are these same regulations going to be put on ALL Internet providers ?

Netflix would be pretty pissed if the regulations go on to everyones Internet and they in turn forward the charges to the companies like NETFLIX, afterall THEY are the ones pushing it.

Wolverton: AT&T-DirecTV deal poses threat to consumers http://www.mercurynews.com/troy-wol...rton-at-t-directv-deal-poses-threat-consumers
AT&T's bid to buy DirecTV has been floating under the radar, drawing neither the scrutiny nor the scorn of Comcast's recently abandoned proposal to buy Time Warner Cable.But that doesn't make the deal any better for consumers.AT&T's proposal to acquire DirecTV has been in the shadow of the Comcast deal ever since it was announced a year ago, on the heels of Comcast's proposed tie-up. That's starting to change. Now that the Comcast-Time Warner deal is off the table, regulators, consumer groups and others have begun to turn their focus to the AT&T merger. Last week, for example, Netflix submitted a letter to the Federal Communications Commission urging it to reject the deal "as currently proposed."

Since AT&T was built off of the telephone backbone, I'd guess that nearly everywhere there is AT&T, there is another cable company.

I can think of a couple areas, but not to the fault of ATT. There are cable companies in the area, they just don't stretch as far(ATT advantage to being built on the phone line base). It truly is a very very small market that there is not another cable provider, but even still, Dish works there... So anti consumer would not apply in those areas.

I can think of a couple areas, but not to the fault of ATT. There are cable companies in the area, they just don't stretch as far(ATT advantage to being built on the phone line base). It truly is a very very small market that there is not another cable provider, but even still, Dish works there... So anti consumer would not apply in those areas.
That also is part of the att problem with U Verse, the distance, you mentioned that thier phone lines often go much farther than the Cable does, but they also are somewhat restricted on how far out the U Verse TV can go.

That also is part of the att problem with U Verse, the distance, you mentioned that thier phone lines often go much farther than the Cable does, but they also are somewhat restricted on how far out the U Verse TV can go.

I'm about 3400 ft from the VRAD. They had to go to pair bonding just to get UVerse on my street.

I'm about 3400 ft from the VRAD. They had to go to pair bonding just to get UVerse on my street.
That's my point.
I haven't talked to the guys on that side lately, but last I heard they were running out about 5500 ft now, mainly by using a different RG box.
That's without pair bonding.

I've never talked to a Cable guy to inquire what kind of limits they may have.

I just checked with the UVERSE guys this morning.
Normally they are going 3500 ft from Brad
Bonded will go 5000 to 6000 ...
Also keep in mind a lot also has to do with the kind of profile needed.

I'm wondering if once the deal is complete, if condo properties with a DIRECTV contract will be able to offer U-Verse internet and TV. My brother asked me that a view months ago. I told him I didn't know. Right now he's stuck will DIRECTV programing (which he likes) and AT&T 6mbps DSL. AT&T told him they can't bring U-Verse into his community because the property is under a contract with DIRECTV and has a non-compete clause. All the communities around him have U-Verse access. Anyone with info on this? I would love to give my brother a clearer answer.

I'm wondering if once the deal is complete, if condo properties with a DIRECTV contract will be able to offer U-Verse internet and TV. My brother asked me that a view months ago. I told him I didn't know. Right now he's stuck will DIRECTV programing (which he likes) and AT&T 6mbps DSL. AT&T told him they can't bring U-Verse into his community because the property is under a contract with DIRECTV and has a non-compete clause. All the communities around him have U-Verse access. Anyone with info on this? I would love to give my brother a clearer answer.
I don't have a answer for you, but if ATT IS in the neighborhood supplying dial tone and internet already, thats a good sign ... look in the area and see if they have any beige boxes around, possibly along with the cross cut boxes that are already in place.
If you see them, thats the VRAD box that supplies the service.

Dish, Cogent lay out concessions for AT&T/DirecTV deal
May 13 2015, 18:50 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) and Cogent Communications (NASDAQ:CCOI), along with other advocacy groups, have spelled out the conditions they'd like to see for a successful AT&T (NYSE:T) purchase of DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV).
Opponents to the deal met with FCC staffers last week; AT&T is expected to meet with deal reviewers in the coming days, and hopes to close the deal by the end of June.
Dish, Cogent and other critics asked that AT&T promise to sell Internet as a standalone service outside of its bundles at a reasonable price, and they asked the FCC to make AT&T comply with stricter net neutrality provisions for seven years, regardless of how AT&T's suit against the rules comes out.
Also requested: that AT&T include all video in any data caps, and restrictions on how AT&T handles interconnect traffic -- which particularly affects Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) and Dish's new Sling TV streaming service, key competition for DirecTV service. http://seekingalpha.com/news/252195...k:ec6a42788e277131b2591b6c2004cbd8#email_link

Reactions: DS0816
Dish, Cogent lay out concessions for AT&T/DirecTV deal
May 13 2015, 18:50 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) and Cogent Communications (NASDAQ:CCOI), along with other advocacy groups, have spelled out the conditions they'd like to see for a successful AT&T (NYSE:T) purchase of DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV).
Opponents to the deal met with FCC staffers last week; AT&T is expected to meet with deal reviewers in the coming days, and hopes to close the deal by the end of June.
Dish, Cogent and other critics asked that AT&T promise to sell Internet as a standalone service outside of its bundles at a reasonable price, and they asked the FCC to make AT&T comply with stricter net neutrality provisions for seven years, regardless of how AT&T's suit against the rules comes out.
Also requested: that AT&T include all video in any data caps, and restrictions on how AT&T handles interconnect traffic -- which particularly affects Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) and Dish's new Sling TV streaming service, key competition for DirecTV service. http://seekingalpha.com/news/2521956-dish-cogent-lay-out-concessions-for-at-and-t-directv-deal?auth_param=827g7:1al7lbk:ec6a42788e277131b2591b6c2004cbd8#email_link

Very reasonable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)