AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What you posted is perfect and makes my point, the phone is what was locked, network has nothing to do with it.. Thanks for posting! :)

What you posted is perfect and makes my point, the phone is what was locked, network has nothing to do with it.. Thanks for posting! :)
Right the phone is locked via its IMEI. Not the SIM

I was under the impression that you understood, but apparently, sill sound confused....

no, you are confused! :facepalm
Wait seriously! I thought you finally really understood! Are you claiming what you posted early was correct? Everything you linked was 100% true, but was not what you claimed earlier? All you linked was how an unlock code is made, and how to obtain one.

This was the untrue statement you posted in post 776

No, why because the network knows that the IMEI is locked to ATT. Once the IMEI of the phone is released as UNLOCK, you are free to switch SIM from different carriers.

The IMEI is used to obtain the unlock code as its the phone's identifying number, just like a vin number on a car. But just like a vin number on a car, that is all it does, the vin number doesn't lock your car doors, keys do (sim lock), but if you need a replacement key you will need that vin number to obtain new key as its what makes that car unique.(like an imei)

I am not sure how else I can explain it.

Yah, that was a typo. I meant the phone knows by way its IMEI, not the SIM or phone number (which is what you claim) is what locks the phone.

Exactly, the IMEI is what is used to lock unlock your phone. Not your phone number as you claim. SIM provide access to carrier, not locks
your confused, I said the phone number was a loop hole in at&t's unlocking program, go back and read

your confused, I said the phone number was a loop hole in at&t's unlocking program, go back and read
as a loop hole, it means that a phone number can be used to unlock, which is not true. When the carrier verifies the phone number against the IMEI, they will find out the phone is still locked.

When a request for a unlock is given, your carrier just wont asking you for you phone number, they need that PLUS the IMEI

as a loop hole, it means that a phone number can be used to unlock, which is not true. When the carrier verifies the phone number against the IMEI, they will find out the phone is still locked.
I sent you a pm, I will do my best to get you to understand there, if you want I can walk you through it.

I think I got him squared away via PM, but if mod could please move all this att cell phone talk to the phone section that would be great.
Thanks

That's a difference between cable and satellites companies.

The satellite companies don't provide local stations in markets which border around areas outside the United States—which is the case with Detroit getting CBET, the CBC affiliate for Windsor.

Additional PBS stations included by cable stations—for outside markets—aren't included by satellite companies. (This is the case with WCMZ and WGTE, the PBS affiliates from Flint and Toledo, Ohio. They're made available to subscribers only from those markets.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, here it's opposite with PBS. In the Burlington DMA with Directv, everyone gets Mtn Lake PBS (NY), NH Prime PBS (NH), and VTPBS (VT). In the Boston DMA, you get WGBH, WGBX, and NH Prime PBS. In SE VT, you get all of them except Mtn. Lake.

On cable, in the Champlain Valley area of VT/NY you get Mtn Lake and VTPBS. In the CT River Valley, you get VT and NH. In the city of Boston, you only get WGBH and WGBX. (And all subchannels).

NH is in 3 DMAs so what you get varies, but you always get all-DMA-associated PBS affiliates. Cable doesn't. This is one of those rare cases where DMAs actually help.

I would love to see subchannels and LPs added to Directv. And even more-so, Canadian locals. I get CBC Montreal reliably OTA (and TVA, CTV, and SRC sometimes) and would like them to be in the guide. The PQ from OTA in Canada is noticeable better so I would hope that would be preserved on Directv.

I wonder how this is going to effect local channel lineups because in some markets, the u-verse lineup is different then Directv's lineup. For instance, in Detroit on U-Verse, they carry CBC from Windsor, Canada and I also get PBS from Flint. Maybe there's a possibility those 2 channels get added as Directv local channels in the Detroit market.
I would like to see that ... maybe the could expand the "Significantly Viewed" channels .... which most of us have never seen.

Well that's the reason why I brought it up. If AT&T wants a unified channel lineup for both U-Verse and Directv, then they'll have to sort out any differences in channel lineups with the local markets. My guess is that under the eyes of the law, U-Verse is considered a cable company since they have to purchase franchises and pass on the cost with charging franchise fees. I understand that cable and satellite play by different rules so I'm sure in the long run, AT&T will have to do some lobbying (as if they don't do enough of it already) to get the rules changed to make it an even playing field.
Have to admit, it would be nice if Cable and Sat played on an even playing field having the same rules to work with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts