Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
Per the article:

What AT&T has essentially done here is bring the legacy AT&T TV Now pricing up to par with its modern AT&T TV plans. In fact, most AT&T TV Now customers — aside from very early adopters grandfathered into the “Go Big” package — are likely now better off making the switch.

Those now-grandfathered DirecTV Now packages were always just renamed DirecTV (satellite) packages missing a few odd channels here and there. AT&T TV uses the original names that have always been used on DirecTV.

Live a Little = Entertainment
Just Right = Choice
Go Big = Xtra
Gotta Have It = Ultimate

Interestingly, the $10/mo price increase doesn't affect Gotta Have It. It was already at $95/mo, the same as Ultimate costs on AT&T TV under the new no-contract option. But Go Big is getting the $10 increase, which brings it up to the same $95/mo price point.

AT&T seems to be phasing out Xtra. It's no longer available to new DirecTV customers nor is it available to AT&T TV no-contract subs. Only way to get it now as a new customer is if you take AT&T TV with a contract (which isn't the option that they're actively pushing now).

Anyone now paying $85/mo for Just Right or $95/mo for either Go Big or Gotta Have It may want to switch to AT&T TV no-contract because it offers a free year of HBO Max on both Choice ($85) and Ultimate ($95). However, you only get 20 hrs of cloud DVR on AT&T TV no-contract unless you pay an extra $10/mo to expand it to unlimited. I don't know how much cloud DVR is included with those legacy DirecTV Now plans.

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
The two things that keeps us from trying AT&T (we had Dish and Directv from 1995 until 2019, and since then we have had Youtube TV) is what we read about the lack of a good pause, REW, and FF with live TV, and the 90 day limit on DVR recordings. The way we watch TV is often to record a series and hold it, e.g until others hit rerun time, and then binge much later. 90 days just wouldn't work for us. If they change that to the 9 months of YTTV we'll give it a try. FWIW

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
I just switched to AT&T TV after 3+ years with YTTV in order to get my RSN for baseball season. The DVR is as terrible as advertised. On Roku, I can't pause live TV or rewind back into buffered content as I could with YTTV. On FireTV, I can pause live TV (I believe there's a 2-min buffer), but I can't rewind even 2 mins. from live. Also on FireTV, while replaying a recorded show, there's no small preview screen in RW/FF, so I can't tell where I am in the program. At least Roku controls are much more robust in this area, including 15 sec skip buttons on the remote.

The 90-day limit doesn't bother me, and I'm going to get by with just the free 20-hour DVR (if I don't watch something within two weeks, there's less than a 10% chance I'll ever watch it).

I've resigned myself for the next six months to record anything I watch (news programs, sporting events, prime time shows), even stuff I wouldn't normally bother recording just to give me greater control (especially so if I miss something because my attention was diverted — a big play or important news story — I can go back a few minutes). Of course, this means I'll need to cull my DVR library on a daily basis because there is no setting to auto-delete programs after a set time frame. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to go through the recorded list to delete stuff, and I just look at it as like one of my email accounts where I have to delete dozens of ads and junk emails every day. I'm also on annual plans for Peacock and Paramount+ so I don't have to worry about recording prime time shows on NBC and CBS.

In a bit of good news, I am getting $125 in credits and gift cards, free HBO for 12 months and NBA league pass, though I'm only on the month-to-month plan. And having 5.1 audio again for live TV is as nifty as I remember.

dhlaw

Jul 12, 2012
Louisville,ky
I just switched to AT&T TV after 3+ years with YTTV in order to get my RSN for baseball season. The DVR is as terrible as advertised. On Roku, I can't pause live TV or rewind back into buffered content as I could with YTTV. On FireTV, I can pause live TV (I believe there's a 2-min buffer), but I can't rewind even 2 mins. from live. Also on FireTV, while replaying a recorded show, there's no small preview screen in RW/FF, so I can't tell where I am in the program. At least Roku controls are much more robust in this area, including 15 sec skip buttons on the remote.

The 90-day limit doesn't bother me, and I'm going to get by with just the free 20-hour DVR (if I don't watch something within two weeks, there's less than a 10% chance I'll ever watch it).

I've resigned myself for the next six months to record anything I watch (news programs, sporting events, prime time shows), even stuff I wouldn't normally bother recording just to give me greater control (especially so if I miss something because my attention was diverted — a big play or important news story — I can go back a few minutes). Of course, this means I'll need to cull my DVR library on a daily basis because there is no setting to auto-delete programs after a set time frame. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to go through the recorded list to delete stuff, and I just look at it as like one of my email accounts where I have to delete dozens of ads and junk emails every day. I'm also on annual plans for Peacock and Paramount+ so I don't have to worry about recording prime time shows on NBC and CBS.

In a bit of good news, I am getting $125 in credits and gift cards, free HBO for 12 months and NBA league pass, though I'm only on the month-to-month plan. And having 5.1 audio again for live TV is as nifty as I remember.
If you don't mind my asking did you get this deal online or in store ?

Thanks

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
The two things that keeps us from trying AT&T (we had Dish and Directv from 1995 until 2019, and since then we have had Youtube TV) is what we read about the lack of a good pause, REW, and FF with live TV, and the 90 day limit on DVR recordings. The way we watch TV is often to record a series and hold it, e.g until others hit rerun time, and then binge much later. 90 days just wouldn't work for us. If they change that to the 9 months of YTTV we'll give it a try. FWIW

I just switched to AT&T TV after 3+ years with YTTV in order to get my RSN for baseball season. The DVR is as terrible as advertised. On Roku, I can't pause live TV or rewind back into buffered content as I could with YTTV. On FireTV, I can pause live TV (I believe there's a 2-min buffer), but I can't rewind even 2 mins. from live.
If you have the AT&T TV box (which runs a custom version of Google's Android TV) and are subscribed to AT&T TV (not the old DirecTV Now/AT&T TV Now service, which stopped taking sign-ups a few months ago), then you can pause live TV on that device. I've read reports that you can pause up to 90 minutes, although I'm not certain that's the exact limit. But way longer than the 2 minutes or so that you're limited to in the AT&T TV app on other devices. And you can perform trick play (FF, rewind) within the live TV buffer on their box.

You can buy a new box from them for $120 (although they'll spread the cost out over time and add it to your monthly bill if you want). Or just get one on eBay for about half that.

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
AT&T actually did something right. I signed up for AT&T TV last month so I could get my RSN (I had been with YTTV for the previous 3 years). The subscription comes with free HBO for 12 months, but I already was paying for HBO Max directly through HBO Max. When I logged in for the first time using my AT&T TV credentials, it gave the option to link my existing account and auto-cancel my current subscription. I accepted and everything transferred over. No need to create a new watchlist and tweak settings and re-login on all my devices.

It seems like a little thing when I write it out like this, but my expectations are incredibly low when it comes to anything related to AT&T. I'm still of course dreading the inevitable cancellation.

Bruce

That is my dog Bender.
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
AT&T actually did something right. I signed up for AT&T TV last month so I could get my RSN (I had been with YTTV for the previous 3 years). The subscription comes with free HBO for 12 months, but I already was paying for HBO Max directly through HBO Max. When I logged in for the first time using my AT&T TV credentials, it gave the option to link my existing account and auto-cancel my current subscription. I accepted and everything transferred over. No need to create a new watchlist and tweak settings and re-login on all my devices.
My Gift Card subscription to HBO Max ran out last month, switched over to getting it from YTTV, same experience with linking to the original account, quite easy and only had to do it on the computer, I was dreading doing the user name and password on every Roku, but did not have to.

Also, if they were not doing the new movies at the same time as theaters I might of dropped it, next year they go to a 45 days after premiering at Theaters, that will still keep me a subscriber.

Users who are viewing this thread