AT&T TV

If it's streaming and has a Contract, it's a No Go for me.

As far as the Major other streaming services, None that I am aware of, have a Contract and you can leave at any time.

While no contract, some have discounted yearly plans, so you are stuck if you want to cancel and cannot get your money back, say after a couple of months, CBS, Disney and now HBO MAX all have deals on yearly plans.

I am actually paid up on all my streaming services till the middle of next year because I keep finding deals on gift cards ( 40-50% off), so if I cancel I would be out what I already paid.

While no contract, some have discounted yearly plans, so you are stuck if you want to cancel and cannot get your money back, say after a couple of months, CBS, Disney and now HBO MAX all have deals on yearly plans.

I am actually paid up on all my streaming services till the middle of next year because I keep finding deals on gift cards ( 40-50% off), so if I cancel I would be out what I already paid.
Most of my Streaming services, I too paid for a year at a time ... Netflix and Amazon Prime .

Netflix I pay because I never know When I'm gonna find something I want to watch and don't want the hassle of setting up an account everytime I want to check something out.
I'm currently in a lull with Netflix as far as seeing something I want to watch, so theres a wasted month, but its paid for, so I'm good.

I have never found Netflix to offer Yearly rates ... am I missing something ?
The other issue I have with Netflix is I cannot go to the website and give them a Credit Card for a Year ... I have to go out and get a Gift Card for the amount I need. That is really sad that they cannot handle a Credit Card.

Amazon Prime, while I don't use it often, it's part of my Amazon Prime services, so the Streaming of TV and Music is an added bonus.
Btw, AP takes CC's and they use to give a discount for paying by the year ... it was $99 has since gone up to $120 I think.

CBS AA is another situation for me ...
I swore I'd never use them, because I already PAY for CBS in my D* programming ...
Then they had to Force you to use that service to see Picard ... So I broke down and got it for the duration of the Picard Season ( I know I could have waited till the end and binged it in 1 month, but I'm ok with it, it was only 2 months I think)
Then I turned CBS AA off, or so I was planning to ... when I went to turn it off, they offered me 1/2 price for 2 months, so I took it ...
Thought I'd catch up on Young Sheldon ... from Season 1 .... till I found out that CBS (who owns YS) does Not have the Seasons prior to the current one without PAYING FOR THAT SEASON(s) ...
So, I already pay for CBS and CBS AA and they want you to PAY again for the first few seasons ....

I'll turn off CBS AA once these few months are done and turn it back on when Picard is on next.
Unless they offer a really great year access.

Btw, how do you find these Gift Cards discounted ?

I usually find mine at places like Krogers, they won't discount them, but offer points for gas with them, that I never use.

Thought I'd catch up on Young Sheldon ... from Season 1 .... till I found out that CBS (who owns YS) does Not have the Seasons prior to the current one without PAYING FOR THAT SEASON(s) ...
So, I already pay for CBS and CBS AA and they want you to PAY again for the first few seasons ....

You have been told this before in the Picard thread, CBS does not own Young Sheldon, Warner (AT&T) does, the current season is licensed to CBS, that is why the complete Big Bang Theory Series is going to be on HBO MAX, if CBS has ownership it would be on CBS AA.

If you want the first two seasons, it is on sale at itunes for $14.99 each season right now.

Btw, how do you find these Gift Cards discounted ?

I usually find mine at places like Krogers, they won't discount them, but offer points for gas with them, that I never use.

ebay lately, also Sam’s Club and Best Buy, BJ’s has Flash Sales on Gift Cards, this week Hulu was on sale at 40% off.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Jimbo
You have been told this before in the Picard thread, CBS does not own Young Sheldon, Warner (AT&T) does, the current season is licensed to CBS, that is why the complete Big Bang Theory Series is going to be on HBO MAX, if CBS has ownership it would be on CBS AA.

If you want the first two seasons, it is on sale at itunes for $14.99 each season right now.

ebay lately, also Sam’s Club and Best Buy, BJ’s has Flash Sales on Gift Cards, this week Hulu was on sale at 40% off.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
I knew I had this somewhere ... the first part anyways ... it's just annoying.

Thanks for the ideas on the Gift Cards.

If it's streaming and has a Contract, it's a No Go for me.

As far as the Major other streaming services, None that I am aware of, have a Contract and you can leave at any time.

I understand where you’re coming from. Not fond of contracts either. But then none of the other major, or even minor, live streaming services have 5.1 audio or the spread of channels that ATT does.

That said, I don’t think it will last long with its present methodology either.

At the moment I’ll be locked into ATT TV @Entertainment level with HBO for the year too. All for an averaged $57/month. Can’t beat that price for the channels I want.

There seems to be a mid-level obsession with 5.1 audio as if it were a deal breaker. Doesn't mean a thing to me. I got rid of the home theater setup because for most things it was distracting and annoying. Sure, there are some movies where it provides immersion but overall those few occurences don't justify it IMHO. The picture and the sound (2 ch stereo) are in front of me and I don't need to hear distracting birds, buses, motorcycles, aircraft, or gunfire behind me so 5.1 audio doesn't even enter the equation when I'm comparing services.

Reactions: ncted and dhpeeple1
There seems to be a mid-level obsession with 5.1 audio as if it were a deal breaker. Doesn't mean a thing to me. I got rid of the home theater setup because for most things it was distracting and annoying. Sure, there are some movies where it provides immersion but overall those few occurences don't justify it IMHO. The picture and the sound (2 ch stereo) are in front of me and I don't need to hear distracting birds, buses, motorcycles, aircraft, or gunfire behind me so 5.1 audio doesn't even enter the equation when I'm comparing services.

That’s why they make all these different home theater systems. If stereo is fine for you, great! If it isn’t, and it isn’t for many of us, you can get systems from 3.1.2 to 9.2.4.

For me, the bulk of the shows on cable and broadcast TV don’t benefit much from 5.1 audio and stereo massaged with Dolby ProLogic is just fine. But for those shows/movies that take advantage of 5.1 or more, I like having it and am willing to pay the price to get it.

I understand where you’re coming from. Not fond of contracts either. But then none of the other major, or even minor, live streaming services have 5.1 audio or the spread of channels that ATT does.

That said, I don’t think it will last long with its present methodology either.

At the moment I’ll be locked into ATT TV @Entertainment level with HBO for the year too. All for an averaged $57/month. Can’t beat that price for the channels I want.
So, is there Live channels on this platform ?
Do you have a guide like D* would be, or a screen with all the shows like a typical streaming service ?

It would be SO nice if they gave the employees that are suppose to install them ones so they can see what they are dealing with when customers have questions.

I understand that most streaming is a Self install, but there are service calls and install calls for these as not everyone can figure them out ...

I can just see the unknowing customer out there that are talked into this streaming service with no knowledge of what they are getting into.

So, is there Live channels on this platform ?
Do you have a guide like D* would be, or a screen with all the shows like a typical streaming service ?

It would be SO nice if they gave the employees that are suppose to install them ones so they can see what they are dealing with when customers have questions.

I understand that most streaming is a Self install, but there are service calls and install calls for these as not everyone can figure them out ...

I can just see the unknowing customer out there that are talked into this streaming service with no knowledge of what they are getting into.

With both the app and the box you have a guide quite similar to what you see on cable/sat boxes. I’m sure there are some differences, but minor. And yes, it has live streaming channels just like cable/sat.

On the ATT Box you can choose either alphabetical sort or channel number sort, on the app on other devices, just an alphabetical. There are also options to the guide, Favorites is one. Then there are some curated lists of what’s on now by channel.

And then there’s Watch Now, which shows what is actually on live at the time. And Discover which is similar in many ways to what other streamers use.

Overall setting up the box is just dead simple. And a nice Quick Start guide in the box gets you going. Basically plug in HDMI, plug in power and it will come up and step you through the setup and then run a few videos to show you how to use it.

The app for other boxes is even simpler. Install app, click on its icon, sign in and away you go. But overall the box is the best way to use it. No tech needed!

If someone has already been using streaming for some things then switching to ATT’s service is no more difficult, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

BTW your post is the first I’ve seen anywhere that any service calls were ever done and I don’t see where they are even offered on the website.

I have an elaborate Home Brew 7.2 and don't know why..Now that it is finished.. (the pic was before all the gear was put in the rack) . The .2 is front and back sub woofer channels of 2 each 15 inch built-in subs. Rears being Infinite Baffle in the ceiling and fronts is an Aperiodic..Or leaky as I call it...

Now I'm showing this in agreement with you, and to tell about the immense amount of work [and money] involved that from which only I can hear the amazingly fantastic sound it creats. and don't really get to appreciate much. .Most, if not all, the time we are on Stereo. The way humans were built to hear.
011.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: ncted
Humans do not hear in stereo. Yes, they have two ears left and right but they are able to differentiate 360 degrees of direction of sound.

Oh,... Bobby...:rolleyes You know what I mean.
It is known as binaural hearing, which essentially means “hearing with two ears”, to gauge the direction of sounds. It has to do with time lag, wave length and tone. But you already knew that, didn't you.:raspberry

• Haha
Reactions: primestar31
With both the app and the box you have a guide quite similar to what you see on cable/sat boxes. I’m sure there are some differences, but minor. And yes, it has live streaming channels just like cable/sat.

On the ATT Box you can choose either alphabetical sort or channel number sort, on the app on other devices, just an alphabetical. There are also options to the guide, Favorites is one. Then there are some curated lists of what’s on now by channel.

And then there’s Watch Now, which shows what is actually on live at the time. And Discover which is similar in many ways to what other streamers use.

Overall setting up the box is just dead simple. And a nice Quick Start guide in the box gets you going. Basically plug in HDMI, plug in power and it will come up and step you through the setup and then run a few videos to show you how to use it.

The app for other boxes is even simpler. Install app, click on its icon, sign in and away you go. But overall the box is the best way to use it. No tech needed!

If someone has already been using streaming for some things then switching to ATT’s service is no more difficult, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

BTW your post is the first I’ve seen anywhere that any service calls were ever done and I don’t see where they are even offered on the website.
Thanks for the review :)

I have gone out on a few calls ...
Mainly its people that can't be helped over the phone, or I should say, didn't understand what they were talking about ...

I have had a few that I showed how to connect to thier internet, that I was putting in ...
Company wants you to get the Internet active and move on ...
I dis agree, thats how you get repeats when they don't know how to get to thier App screen from regular TV or can't get their App to work because the TV or roku/firestick isn't connected .... stuff like that I run into.

I have an elaborate Home Brew 7.2 and don't know why..Now that it is finished.. (the pic was before all the gear was put in the rack) . The .2 is front and back sub woofer channels of 2 each 15 inch built-in subs. Rears being Infinite Baffle in the ceiling and fronts is an Aperiodic..Or leaky as I call it...

Now I'm showing this in agreement with you, and to tell about the immense amount of work [and money] involved that from which only I can hear the amazingly fantastic sound it creats. and don't really get to appreciate much. .Most, if not all, the time we are on Stereo. The way humans were built to hear.
View attachment 144833
And they only listen to the TV speakers this day and age ..... :D

Reactions: Bear Paws
OK, back on subject ATT streaming. Had a nature call interruption.

I've been looking and reading every piece of information and sales pitch from all the new Johnny Come Latelies in streaming. I'm with Cox Cable and it grinds my stump to pay them their $ 230 a month extortion fees. But.. I can't find anything/anyone else as or more convenient for phone TV and real high speed internet than the only cable service at my place. I've had the Dishs, all three... Dish, Direct, and Voom. Dang... I miss Vooom.

Sat or coax cable has no difference in cost to speak of. I don;'t feel like doing the switch-aroo game of providers every year to get intro deals and then live with The Contract of Damocles over my head after one year and then get banged.

So I was ecstatic when I saw You Tube and then Att streamuing. I already have been doing streaming off Roku for several years now. I Won't get into what, but its more complicated than just turn on TV, go to channel, and watch. I've been spoiled by the convince of set-top boxes and only one bill for TV Phone and internet. A couple auto renewal subs with Netflix, Newsmax and Blaze.. Prime I have through Amazon Prime..

Now with Cox having hundreds of streaming apps directly off the internet its even more convenient. No more switching inputs to BlueRay for Prime and Netfliz etc.

I'm no Cox fan boy by any stretch....but I see nothing out there for someone living in a Quasi modern town with conviences for me to jump into the hassel of seperat services with only a slight savings and tutoring every one how to change and find stuff. That wasn't even in the dark ages of pre-cable. Back then... Just wiggle the coat hanger and slide the tin foil on the twin lead..

Still waiting for the answer. Other than no TV.

Bear,
Currently only ATT TV comes close to having the depth of programming that cable/sat delivers, unfortunately that comes at a price and even their streaming has some holes in it.

IMO, streaming makes sense if you have a shorter list of ‘must have’ channels and can find that one service that has them. I am fortunate that I don’t give a whit about most sports. I’m not sports averse just don’t care about them one way or another. So a service with a few national sports channels is fine. For me, both YouTubeTV and ATT TV fit the bill. ATT TV Entertainment suits me fine.

But I also use Netflix, Amazon and Hulu and on some rare occasions, some of the free ad-supported streamers. But I live by myself so I don’t have to try to train anyone. It is hard enough to let my eldest son share some of my subscriptions since when it comes to tech... Well, let’s just say he is of the ‘get a bigger hammer’ school of thought.

Bear,
Currently only ATT TV comes close to having the depth of programming that cable/sat delivers, unfortunately that comes at a price and even their streaming has some holes in it.

IMO, streaming makes sense if you have a shorter list of ‘must have’ channels and can find that one service that has them. I am fortunate that I don’t give a whit about most sports. I’m not sports averse just don’t care about them one way or another. So a service with a few national sports channels is fine. For me, both YouTubeTV and ATT TV fit the bill. ATT TV Entertainment suits me fine.

But I also use Netflix, Amazon and Hulu and on some rare occasions, some of the free ad-supported streamers. But I live by myself so I don’t have to try to train anyone. It is hard enough to let my eldest son share some of my subscriptions since when it comes to tech... Well, let’s just say he is of the ‘get a bigger hammer’ school of thought.
Ditto about wit.. :oldsmile2
But I don't live alone. We have a three flavor house, none bisecting the other. Step-son who is between wives is a sports freak. Connie the wife is Hallmark, Science, and these new newfangled building in Alaska and buried treasure things
Me. I'm news and cars. Oh and some cooking shows.

Ditto about wit.. :oldsmile2
But I don't live alone. We have a three flavor house, none bisecting the other. Step-son who is between wives is a sports freak. Connie the wife is Hallmark, Science, and these new newfangled building in Alaska and buried treasure things
Me. I'm news and cars. Oh and some cooking shows.

I forgot to say in my last post. It is hard to beat the convenience of cable/sat. For the most part it just works somewhat dependent on the equipment.

I was with Mediacom for TV and internet but I was running out of my ‘deal’ and the retail price was just too damned high for what I was getting. And the only way they would dicker was to either add a phone I don’t need or cancel all service with them for 3 months and come back as a ‘new’ customer. That wouldn’t work as they are the only good internet service in town!

I forgot to say in my last post. It is hard to beat the convenience of cable/sat. For the most part it just works somewhat dependent on the equipment.

I was with Mediacom for TV and internet but I was running out of my ‘deal’ and the retail price was just too damned high for what I was getting. And the only way they would dicker was to either add a phone I don’t need or cancel all service with them for 3 months and come back as a ‘new’ customer. That wouldn’t work as they are the only good internet service in town!
Yep, Cox 150+ mbs for 49 bucks mo in the bundle. There is noone near that around here... Frontier, or who ever they are this week, is next ands gets me barley 30 mbs for $79.
Can't stream clean 1080p with less than 8mbs and with three TVs on we meet Buffy. Forget even adding one UHD to the stream.

I accept I'm out of viable and convenient options. But I still keep looking hoping. How does that go? ''Keep doing the same thing, expecting different results'' :biggrin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)