AT9 - Only 4 LNBs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clayface1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
After going back and forth with Directv and Dishnetwork -- and a total of six consecutive missed or botched appointments with the two combined, I FINALLY got hooked up with Directv and their AT9 and H20 this afternoon.

Everything works great, but I'm confused. An AT9 was installed but it only had four LNBs and is missing the one for 99 degrees. I pointed this out to the installer, who said "no problem, that's the way it's supposed to be." He added that it will be "ready for the 5th LNB when necessary."

He was a nice guy and quite competent, but there was also a language barrier.

I don't get it. I thought all new installations were with an AT9 and H20 (or at least until the new HD DVRs arrive) -- and that the whole point was to get everyone up and going with five LNBs to "future proof" the installation.

I live in Los Angeles, and I looked up on Lyngsat what was on 99 degrees -- it seems to be just a bunch of spotbeamed HD locals. Was that the reason I wasn't given all five LNBs -- that there would be no need for 99 degrees in LA, as no foreseeable programming would be emanating from there for me?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

h20 and at9 dish

Technically the at9 has only 2 lnb's. the middle main one see's satts 99, 101, and 103 deg west . and the other small one has two horns that see 110 and 119 deg west. Satellite 99 is not yet in service and has no locals on it yet, no need to worry....

The AT9 dish should have a 3 LNB appearance in a 2 piece housing. The 99 satellite IS in service; some DMAs may not need locals of anything off of it yet, but some do and it IS actively online just like the 72.5, 95, 101, 103, 110, and 119. Some says also not used by most of us, but they are still online. If your dish looks different than the photos I attached, please post them so we can advise you. You should not have any parts left off, for any reasons. Unless you got a differant dish.

Attachments

• AT59_zoom.gif
    AT59_zoom.gif
    86 KB · Views: 151
  • AT59_det_zoomA.gif
    AT59_det_zoomA.gif
    86.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I'm the last person on earth without a digital camera. However, I can say that the setup seems to look similar to what you described, Charper. The "main" LNB looks like a conventional dual configuration. The other one is much smaller and has an odd looking plastic cover over it -- different that your pictures. It kind of sticks out and is marked something like "Ka/Ku." But I don't see anything that looks like a fifth LNB, unless it's unclearly hidden in the smaller unit.

Runing the diagnostic during installation, it indicated that there was failure of the 5 LNB installation -- and that 99 degrees was missing. There were two installers present today; both saw this and said there was no problem and that this was normal.

Hours after they left, I was playing around and noticed that I didn't see any active transponders on 103, either. I didn't run through the whole check, but I was curious about the fact that I wasn't seeing my locals in their regular OTA spots via spotbeamed MPEG-4 -- which I saw on Lyngsat, is where LA locals would be on that bird. Of course, I was getting my locals in both SD and HD from the CONUS satellite. So I'm worried about 103, too.

I'm very savvy with Dishnetwork (and Expressvu), but this whole Directv is a new ballgame for me.

Thanks again for your insights, especially if this is something I should worry about.

Last edited:
My questions is I get Sat 99 failed on the set up and test. I have 2 H20 and 2 old recievers with the AT-9. I get the HD locals good. I donot have a Multi-switch on the cables out side. Do I need the multi-switch for this? Or am I fine with my set for now?

You're most likely fine. If you're receiving all the channels you subscribed to including the MPEG4 locals then your dish is properly aimed. Sat 99 says "failed" when I run my setup again as well, no worries.

clayface1000 said:
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I'm the last person on earth without a digital camera. However, I can say that the setup seems to look similar to what you described, Charper. The "main" LNB looks like a conventional dual configuration. The other one is much smaller and has an odd looking plastic cover over it -- different that your pictures. It kind of sticks out and is marked something like "Ka/Ku." But I don't see anything that looks like a fifth LNB, unless it's unclearly hidden in the smaller unit.

Runing the diagnostic during installation, it indicated that there was failure of the 5 LNB installation -- and that 99 degrees was missing. There were two installers present today; both saw this and said there was no problem and that this was normal.

Hours after they left, I was playing around and noticed that I didn't see any active transponders on 103, either. I didn't run through the whole check, but I was curious about the fact that I wasn't seeing my locals in their regular OTA spots via spotbeamed MPEG-4 -- which I saw on Lyngsat, is where LA locals would be on that bird. Of course, I was getting my locals in both SD and HD from the CONUS satellite. So I'm worried about 103, too.

I'm very savvy with Dishnetwork (and Expressvu), but this whole Directv is a new ballgame for me.

Thanks again for your insights, especially if this is something I should worry about.

Alright, let's try this again. charper1 was right but maybe we have a wire crossed. The large LNB with the plastic housing you see is the 99,101 & 103 LNBs built into one housing. Noboday forgot any LNBs so you don't have to sweat that one.

Take everyone's word for it when they say not to worry that H20 complains there is a 'failure' in finding 99 and/or 103. Sounds like you have the H20-100 and an interesting quirk about that flavor of H20 is that it doesn't segregate the 99 and 103 signals by network despite the fact the 2 out of 4 networks are up. If a spot beam from either wing slot is not active in your part of the country, there is still a beacon that the box picks up letting it know that it's there. The H20-100 ignores this and if it finds no spot beam or beacon at anyone of the 4 networks it decides there's no 99 and 103 at all. Confused yet? I am too. I was under the impressiont that the H20-100 and 600 had the same exact software. Guess not! :)

benj said:
Alright, let's try this again. charper1 was right but maybe we have a wire crossed. The large LNB with the plastic housing you see is the 99,101 & 103 LNBs built into one housing. Noboday forgot any LNBs so you don't have to sweat that one.

Take everyone's word for it when they say not to worry that H20 complains there is a 'failure' in finding 99 and/or 103. Sounds like you have the H20-100 and an interesting quirk about that flavor of H20 is that it doesn't segregate the 99 and 103 signals by network despite the fact the 2 out of 4 networks are up. If a spot beam from either wing slot is not active in your part of the country, there is still a beacon that the box picks up letting it know that it's there. The H20-100 ignores this and if it finds no spot beam or beacon at anyone of the 4 networks it decides there's no 99 and 103 at all. Confused yet? I am too. I was under the impressiont that the H20-100 and 600 had the same exact software. Guess not! :)

whoah somebody understands what the hell is going on.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)