AT9 questions..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I'm in the Birmingham market, meaning we're coming up soon on locals in HD. my setup is like this: an H20 in the den, one RG6 line running to it. A D10 in my grandfather's bedroom, 1 RG6 run there, and a Tivo in my bedroom, with two RG6 lines. Each of these 4 lines run to a phase 3 dish. Will an upgrade to the AT9 with HD only at the existing spot require any additional runs of coax? The phase 3 is pole mounted in the front yard, will it be able to use the same pole? If I upgrade to the HD DVR when its released, will it require anything more than an additional RG6 run to the HDTV? Thanks in advance

doctor J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Oct 26, 2005
AT-9 upgrade

any additional runs of coax? If I upgrade to the HD DVR when its released, will it require anything more than an additional RG6 run to the HDTV?

No - 4 lines from dish. / When you add the HD dvr you will need a WB-68 multiswitch to increase lines to receivers from 4 to 6.

will it be able to use the same pole?

Probably not. AT-9 mounds on a 2" O.D. pole (actually 50mm.) The 3lnb is on a
1 5/8" pole There are 1 5/8" to 2.0 " sleeves but may not be readily available. If the phase 3 is U bolted to a larger size pole (3" or 4") the same kind of setup can be used.

You didn't mention if you're getting OTA digital TV channels now via an antenna or plan to in the future. If so you need to know you can not diplex OTA signals onto the satellite cable run and therefore a separate RG-6 cable run will be needed from the antenna to each receiver you want OTA signals.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
thanks for the info.

We're not getting local digital OTA, we're way too far out from birmingham to get OTA (we can barely get analog OTA). Also, the dish is mounted directly on the pole, not ubolted on. Will a new pole be included in the standard installation?

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
i know a lot of folks on here dont like em, but i swear by 6 foot woolmanized 4x4s with 2 80# bags of concrete 2 feet in the ground.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I paid for the original pole, I shouldn't have to pay for the replacement, and it def. shouldn't be 100 bux, esp. considering I paid $50 for the original.

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
My installer said that they get the poles for free from their warehouse. My original intal was mounted on a 1 5/8 inch pole. Today, when the installer upgraded to a AT9, hew was gouing to mount it on our fence pole (a 4x4) but the footpring of the mast is to large so he put in a 2" pole for free. I wish the AT9 could be mounted on 4x4s!

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
dragon002 said:
i know a lot of folks on here dont like em, but i swear by 6 foot woolmanized 4x4s with 2 80# bags of concrete 2 feet in the ground.
I am getting a new install this Wednesday.After 2 visits from techs to do this install,the 2nd tech gave us 2 options.A roof mount or a tall post mount.I opted for the post mount.I bought a 12' 6"x6" pressure treated post,put 3' of it in the ground with 100 lbs of concrete to anchor it,along with driving 8 bolts into the bottom of the post to act as a type of rebarb in the concrete.I also mounted 2 steel brackets close to the top of the post to the house.This sucker is tall and solid for the AT9,IMO.The tech that is doing the install stated that it needed to be at least 7' out of ground,due to line of sight,I'm giving him an extra 2' to have for the mount.:up I have used wood posts in the past for dish mounts,I have had no issues with the post warping or signal loss.I guess I have been lucky with the wood posts.:)

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Feb 11, 2006
directvfreak said:
My installer said that they get the poles for free from their warehouse. My original intal was mounted on a 1 5/8 inch pole. Today, when the installer upgraded to a AT9, hew was gouing to mount it on our fence pole (a 4x4) but the footpring of the mast is to large so he put in a 2" pole for free. I wish the AT9 could be mounted on 4x4s!

steve615 said:
I am getting a new install this Wednesday.After 2 visits from techs to do this install,the 2nd tech gave us 2 options.A roof mount or a tall post mount.I opted for the post mount.I bought a 12' 6"x6" pressure treated post,put 3' of it in the ground with 100 lbs of concrete to anchor it,along with driving 8 bolts into the bottom of the post to act as a type of rebarb in the concrete.I also mounted 2 steel brackets close to the top of the post to the house.This sucker is tall and solid for the AT9,IMO.The tech that is doing the install stated that it needed to be at least 7' out of ground,due to line of sight,I'm giving him an extra 2' to have for the mount. I have used wood posts in the past for dish mounts,I have had no issues with the post warping or signal loss.I guess I have been lucky with the wood posts.

To directvfreak
The AT9 CAN be mounted on a 4X4- there are pictures of one done this way in another thread.

This is to both of you.
Keep in mind that the AT-9 needs TWO support arms. One going straight up or down and another going dtraight to the side to prevent movement. Make sure you leave mounting points for these support arms.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Will someone with an AT9 measure the base so that we can end this controversy? :D

grydlok

Vuvuzela Horns
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Richmond,VA
Eric Goempel said:
To directvfreak
The AT9 CAN be mounted on a 4X4- there are pictures of one done this way in another thread.

This is to both of you.
Keep in mind that the AT-9 needs TWO support arms. One going straight up or down and another going dtraight to the side to prevent movement. Make sure you leave mounting points for these support arms.

You don't use the support braces if it's on a pole.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Mine is mounted on a mono-pole with ONE supporting arm. The installer tried to find a viable spot on roof but there was a previous pole from Starband in way so it made it harder to this one up too. I had a Channel Master GainMaster on side of house that was actually BIGGER than this AT9 dish so he decided to use the mono-pole since its very very solid.

He added ONE supporting arm just in case but I gotta tell you, this thing is rock solid and aint going anywhere. I had the GainMaster up there for 3-4 years with no movement so I was psyched it was literally just a dish swap on the pole. Its night time so I will try to get pic tomorrow and post.

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Feb 11, 2006
The base is not the issue. You do not have to use the 4 outside holes to mount a AT-9. It can be mounted with the outside hols on one side and the inner holes on the other side. the support arms give the thing more stability than the base does anyway. That is a mechanical fact.

The closer the support arms are to the load (the actual dish) the more the will prevent movement. also the further away from the base of the dish the other end of the arms are mounted the more strength you will have. the "base" becomes not much more than a pivot point this way, so the placement of the bolts is not that important.

cool1986

Feb 27, 2006
Plano, Texas
I'm installing my AT9 as a wall mount. Do I want to use the 9" brace or the 12" brace (monopole)? How much adjustment is there in the telescoping tubes? They are both the same price at pacemso.com. Thanks in advance.

woodybeetle

SatelliteGuys Family
May 8, 2005
Pensacola, Florida
the reason d* does not recommend wooden post for installs is due to the fact that they do tend to warp as they dry in the sun and then twist back the other way as they absorb moisture in the wet seasons. It may not happen to you , but please believe me, it happens. I have seen dozens of service calls that all it took was a "nudge" of the dish to realign it, yep they had been on that thete fence post for years. Time will tell for the installation. D* is the one that pays the service call three years down the road, the installer has to warranty his work to them for as little as 90 days, which in turn makes D* pass it along to the consumer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts