Athletes you're sick of hearing about

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
What athletes, in your lifetime, were you sick and tired of hearing about?

For the purposes of this thread, I am NOT asking for players who were jerks or bad guys, just those who you would change the channel if you heard the announcers/media slobbering all over him.

For me, it's Tim Duncan.

I'm not denying his greatness, but I am sick of hearing people treat him like he's the greatest thing to ever happen to basketball.

Is he great? Yes.

But sometimes, praise can be too much.

I'm not saying Duncan should be ignored, but I don't like it when they go overboard.

Manu Ginobli
David Beckham
Tyler Hansbrough
Terrell Owens
Tom Brady
Mike Tyson
Michelle Wie
Babe Ruth
Brady Quinn
Michael Vick
Tony Stewart
Dale and Jr Earnhardt (NASCAR in general)
Ben Wallace
Anderson Varejao
Manny Ramirez
David Ortiz
Rodger Clemens
Bode Miller
Lance Armstrong
Floyd Landis (Tour de France in general)

Manu Ginobli
David Beckham
Tyler Hansbrough
Terrell Owens
Tom Brady
Mike Tyson
Michelle Wie
Babe Ruth
Brady Quinn
Michael Vick
Tony Stewart
Ben Wallace
Anderson Varejao
Manny Ramirez
David Ortiz
Rodger Clemens
Bode Miller
Lance Armstrong

+1

Manu Ginobli
David Beckham
Tyler Hansbrough
Terrell Owens
Tom Brady
Mike Tyson
Michelle Wie
Babe Ruth
Brady Quinn
Michael Vick
Tony Stewart
Ben Wallace
Anderson Varejao
Manny Ramirez
David Ortiz
Rodger Clemens
Bode Miller
Lance Armstrong

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

HUH?

Last edited:
Yes

Manu Ginobli
David Beckham
Tyler Hansbrough
Terrell Owens
Tom Shady Brady
Mike Tyson
Michelle Wie
Babe Ruth
Brady Punk Quinn
Michael Vick
Tony Stewart
Ben Wallace
Anderson Varejao
Manny Ramirez
David Ortiz
Rodger Clemens
Bode Miller
Lance Armstrong
I have to ad even though not a athlete Bill Bilicheat

What I like to see (or not see) on Charpers list is not a single Hockey player!

As for the Babe Ruth thing, I don't follow baseball, is there some sort of resurrgence in Babe talk?

Also, who is still talking about Tyson? or is your list just any athlete you got sick or hearing about?

I have to ad even though not a athlete Bill Bilicheat

Here just for you.

amd_belichick_practice.jpg

As for the Babe Ruth thing, I don't follow baseball, is there some sort of resurrgence in Babe talk?

Also, who is still talking about Tyson? or is your list just any athlete you got sick or hearing about?
Hockey?? If it's not San Jose Sharks it's not worth talking about!

As for the Babe Ruth thing, I don't follow baseball, is there some sort of resurgence in Babe talk?

For me on St. louis radio I hear about Babe ruth all the time. They keep comparing Rick Ankel to him (Pitcher turned Outfielder who can hit the ball.) So defiantly on my list.

Is anyone even talking about hockey? Is it still relevant? OUCH!

When has baseball even stopped talking about Babe? And when they do talk about him they ALWAYS conveniently forget ALL his bad habits, womanizing, drinking, the fact he likely didn't play against ALL the best competition, etc; BUT want to talk about forgetting all that because he was likely the great baseball player of all-time. Sorry, but in my view you can't have it both ways; the kill current day athlets for he same things and talk about how they are bad role models and ruin the game! PLEASE!!! To me he is one of the most "slobbered over" athletes of all-time; as you put it..

Another person that I claim they NEVER stopped talking about? Heck just the other day he was in the news again because of the documentary "Tyson" to be unveiled at the Cannes Film Festival; come on!

If Elvis, John & Yoko, the Jackson family, Al Gore, Rush Limbaugh, Barbra Streisand, Johnnie Cochran, Jesse Jackson, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Bill Belichick or Brian Billick were athletes they would all be on this list too; among others.

Yeah, I'm sick of hearing about the hapless sharks almost as much as Neutron's Stars

Thanks for clarifying you points charper. I wasn't debating you, I was just curious as I don't follow baseball and I guess the Tyson stuff I am just immune to now. I don't know if I should be surprised at the tyson film, people will watch kind of like how we all stare at car accidents on the road.

As for the relevance of hockey comment... that hurts man.

See you've heard so much about Tyson you ignore it. The media; I guess because there is so much of it these days, reports everything on everyone and it has got so bad its sickening.

Oh, and sorry about the hockey comment; but look at it in the positive light; no over exposure; YET! Back in its day I would have said; Jager, Lindros, Hacek, Khabibulin - For non-athletes: NHL Players Association, Bettman; pardon any bad spelling.

See you've heard so much about Tyson you ignore it. The media; I guess because there is so much of it these days, reports everything on everyone and it has got so bad its sickening.

Oh, and sorry about the hockey comment; but look at it in the positive light; no over exposure; YET! Back in its day I would have said; Jager, Lindros, Hacek, Khabibulin - For non-athletes: NHL Players Association, Bettman; pardon any bad spelling.

Very true, I do ignore alot of what I hear sports media wise. I like to watch sports and have casual conversations on the games etc.

hell, I found myself googling about 30% of the names you guys have listed. Would you believe that I would not have known Earnhardt was a nascar driver had you not put that next to their name?

Edit: (cause you edited)
Yeah, your NHL comments do ring true. If I were not a lifelong fan, the NHL might have turned me off a while ago when they started getting just a bit too proud of themselves.

The Bulin Wall? Overexposed?

Yeah, right...

I've NEVER heard people hype him like there was no tomorrow.

I agree on everyone Charper mentioned NHL wise. Lindros was the worst and he hadn't even played a game and I wished he never existed in the hockey world.

What bugged me about Khabibulin and Hasek was how the media acted like they were the greatest goalie's to possibly have played the game. Sure they were good, but I can easily think of 10 other's just as good or better. The Media just was in love with them or maybe just their nicknames.

Yep, I was in PHX when Khabibulin was there; he had his breakout, but then to me an even bigger falling.

Hacek was a bit tougher call; but he made my list because of what the OP asked for "the slobber effect".

What bugged me about Khabibulin and Hasek was how the media acted like they were the greatest goalie's to possibly have played the game. Sure they were good, but I can easily think of 10 other's just as good or better. The Media just was in love with them or maybe just their nicknames.

You are 100% right about Hasek, but Khabibulin?

Are you sure you're not confusing him with someone else?