Status
Please reply by conversation.

deltadave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Atlanta
Hey all,

Have had the new HDDVR for three weeks. FINALLY D* came out today to put up the 5LNB so now I have HD locals in Atlanta.

Now, I am in Cincinnati 3 to 4 times a month and when I am there watching HD Locals, friends have HD subchannels. For instance, locals are 5, 9, 12, 19 and Channel 12 has 12.1, 12.2, etc.

I was expecting that here but don't have it. Is that D* issue not picking up the channels or is it just Atlanta behind the times and not haveing extra channels.

Anyone know???

Thanks!
dave

I don't have an answer for you, but I just moved to Atlanta and was wondering about the HD locals for Atlanta. What do they have? What type of regional sports channels? Any other info you can tell me that would be great.

timmac said:
I don't have an answer for you, but I just moved to Atlanta and was wondering about the HD locals for Atlanta. What do they have? What type of regional sports channels? Any other info you can tell me that would be great.

ABCHD, CBSHD, FOXHD, NBCHD, AND CWHD. TUNER SPORT SOUTH AND FOX SPORT SOUTH. FSS SHOW THE BRAVES IN HD WHEN THEY ARE HOME.

Satellite HD locals are only for the main HD channel. If you connect an OTA antenna to your receiver you'll receive the subchannels.

BTW, the subchannels do have a substation cost in that they are created by taking bandwidth away from the HDTV channel. In many cities, HD football actually looks worse than old fashioned analog because their station has subchannels.

If you have a H20 receiver and a OTA antenna hooked up you will receive the subchannels on Atlanta stations. Many of them are only reprints of the main broadcast. Also when you go through the installation process on the receiver, do a manual channel search and the sub-channels will appear!

Thanks for the info everybody!

The OTA is not an option for me because I am too far away from the city…most of what's on there is probably junk and not needed, I just thought 'why not..the more the better', but I guess that is not true in this case.

timmac said:

timmac, the only sub channel that I have found with anyting on it is 11-2 which has local and national weather. ch 11, NBC, has local news in HD, and as sguest9 says there are some Braves, Hawks, & Thrahers games in HD, other than that there is not much in local HD broadcasts.

Oh, by the way, welcome to The ATL!

2.2 used to have ABC news, but no longer. I like 11.2 and being able to see the local weather instantly. I kind of miss the old 24/7 live sweep weather radar that used to be on Cable 2 when it was Prime Cable back in the 80s.

Charter cable in Gwinnett has a channel, 116, that continuously runs current radar and has the forecast every 5 min or so. I was really disappointed in the active weather channel on the HR20, it looks like something out of USA Today that is generalized for the whole country.

deltadave, what area do you live? I am about 35 miles from the towers and have a CM 4228 in my attic and get the major HD channels w/o a problem on my H20.

deltadave said:
Thanks for the info everybody!

The OTA is not an option for me because I am too far away from the city…most of what's on there is probably junk and not needed, I just thought 'why not..the more the better', but I guess that is not true in this case.

I'm in Acworth off of Wade Green Road and I get all of the local HD channels with an H20 and a cheap Terk set top antenna mounted on top of my entertainment center.

I am out in Winston about 10 miles south of I20.

According to D* and some website I could get the locals via OTA, but the D* tech said not a chance.

Maybe I'll give it a shot when they enable the OTA on the HR20s and see what happens.

tsbrady1 said:
timmac, the only sub channel that I have found with anyting on it is 11-2 which has local and national weather. ch 11, NBC, has local news in HD, and as sguest9 says there are some Braves, Hawks, & Thrahers games in HD, other than that there is not much in local HD broadcasts.

Oh, by the way, welcome to The ATL!

WSB-DT (2.1) just started Local HD news yesterday & they have HD WEATHER :D

edit: I'm in Stockbridge & I get all locals except for 14.1 (which I think is in Athens) on my H10 (which is a crappy ATSC tuner compared to my Sony 42A10's) via antenna in the attic.

Last edited:
lovswr said:
WSB-DT (2.1) just started Local HD news yesterday & they have HD WEATHER :D

edit: I'm in Stockbridge & I get all locals except for 14.1 (which I think is in Athens) on my H10 (which is a crappy ATSC tuner compared to my Sony 42A10's) via antenna in the attic.
REALLY!!!:eek: So 11Alive isn't the only HD news station in Atlanta now! That will be cool!:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.