Atlantic Broadband

chefwan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
South Carolina
Hey, I Was Wondering If Anyone Has Or Has Heard Of Atlantic Broadband they just started offering High Speed Internet. And im wondering how that works i know wtih DSL u have a direct line and with cable i've heard someone telling me u share the cable line with other user's? is this true? or false? dsl u have a direct line with no shared . what about cable is it u have ur own direct line? like dsl ? let me know guys if anyone knows thanks:)

If you get dialup, DSL, cable, satellite, or wireless internet from towers your sharing the line with everybody else. The more users that are on the line the less bandwidth you have. They basically buy a certain amount of bandwidth and split it up among the people that buy the service. If you get a T1 line, ISDN , fiber or other dedicated bandwidth then you are guaranteed that bandwidth if you only use it yourself as you are getting it more directly from the sourch.

Atlantic Broadband seems to be a cable company offering Tripley Play.

its a cable company that recently bought out our old cable company and our old cable company didnt offer Cable but Atlantic Broadband is offering it. they told me that i wouldnt be sharing my bandwidth with anyone else i'd have a dedicated line coming to my house but sometimes sale reps tell people things to just sell something. thats why i was trying to ask some questions. thanks. i have DSL right now with At&t and its a fiber line its dedicated, but im paying 35.00 for 1.5Meg and i can get 6Meg with atlantic broadband for the same price thats why i was wanting to switch over to cable

It would not make any difference if you connected up a wireless router and 10 people used it vs. the cable company connecting 10 seperate houses up, it would take up the same amount of bandwidth which all comes from one source, the cable company headend where they have their bandwidth fed into. It all comes from the same place. DSL is not dedicated either. This is why in some areas they will only allow 20-22 people on a slot when first bringing DSL to some areas, there is a limited amount of bandwidth and if I am not mistaken they just split a T1 and let those people share it - that is what DSL is. For larger areas they probably have a fiber or several T1's feeding all that bandwidth.

If they do not oversubscribe (put too many people on a set amount of bandwidth) then you would not notice a difference in dedicated (ISDN/T1) or shared bandwidth because everybody is not bringing up a webpage or downloading at the same time. A T1 can support 40-100 people at a time depending on how much the users download, how many are on at the same time, and if bandwidth shaping is being done which allows quality of service to be adjusted by slowing the speeds of downloads slightly to keep browsing speeds good all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)