ATSC 3.0 Simulcast Discussion

Just select the parts that don't apply and delete them.
You can also highlight what you want to quote and a little balloon will pop up asking if you want to quote or reply to the selected text.

I use the low-level editor and chop up the text with quote tags.

It looks like this:
Code:
[QUOTE="NYDutch, post: 4348491, member: 190860"]Just select the parts that don't apply and
delete them.[/QUOTE]You can also highlight what you want to quote and a little balloon will
pop up asking if you want to quote or reply to the selected text.

I use the low-level editor and chop up the text with quote tags.

Reactions: ncted and NYDutch
From my understanding, when a station changes to ATSC 3.0 it will transmit on the same channel that they transmit on now (or their new one after the repack change). They will have to find another station that will carry their present ATSC 1.0 signal as a sub-channel.

Reactions: Mr. Sheep
From my understanding, when a station changes to ATSC 3.0 it will transmit on the same channel that they transmit on now (or their new one after the repack change). They will have to find another station that will carry their present ATSC 1.0 signal as a sub-channel.

This is correct.

- Trip

Reactions: larrykenney
Could they offer ATSC 3.0 on their primary channel and ATSC 1.0 on one of their own sub-channels?

Absolutely correct as Trip has noted. The problem will be in metro areas with many stations finding a partner to host their ATSC 1.0 signal WITHOUT degrading the signal to unacceptable levels. Look at how bad many of the sub-channels look now. How will several 1080i channels crammed into one frequency look?

3 and 1 are incompatible. They cannot share the same frequency range.

Think of a channel’s frequency as a bit of mail thru the Post Office. ATSC 1 is a #10 plain envelope. NTSC was a postcard. ATSC 3 is a thumb drive with a stamp and address on it.

You can have the contents of the #10 as part of what is recorded on the thumb drive, but you’re not going to put that envelope inside the thumb drive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: NYDutch
Could they offer ATSC 3.0 on their primary channel and ATSC 1.0 on one of their own sub-channels?
The two modulation schemes can't share an RF channel.

With respect to subchannels, they can spread them across multiple RF channels now. Subchannels don't run on their own carriers -- they are all multiplexed into a single carrier. They are subsequently demuxed into separate streams that are indexed by PSIP data.

I question whether it is practical to lighthouse DTV when Next Gen TV is the much more bandwidth-efficient scheme. It seems backwards to me to have to force viewers to rescan every time they need to add, move or remove a subchannel.

I reason that with Next Gen TV tuners, they could set them up to auto-scan. That isn't possible to do that with most existing DTV tuners.

I envision some serious backlash if the broadcasters try to make DTV insufferable in order to force viewers to upgrade.

The two modulation schemes can't share an RF channel.

With respect to subchannels, they can spread them across multiple RF channels now. Subchannels don't run on their own carriers -- they are all multiplexed into a single carrier. They are subsequently demuxed into separate streams that are indexed by PSIP data.
Thanks all, obviously I'm not well informed on the ATSC 3 specs...

Thanks all, obviously I'm not well informed on the ATSC 3 specs...
ATSC 3.0 is not backwards compatible with the current ATSC 1.0 standard. That is the reason all the ATSC 1.0 channels would have to be relocated to another ATSC 1.0 channel as a sub-channel (lighthoused) for 5 years if they want to broadcast in ATSC 3.0.

Welp, not sure what I did. I accidentally split the thread when I meant to change the title, then when I merged it back again with the new title, a bunch of posts disappeared. *sigh*

EDIT: Making this post appears to have brought the missing posts back. Sorry about that.

- Trip

I like that the thread was split as it was wandering well off the track of the Repack and I couldn't find an up-to-date thread to reference.

I contemplated splitting it and decided to change the title (which is how it was accidentally split in the first place). Since the original question was about whether or not the repack involved moving to ATSC 3.0, I decided it wasn't really off-topic after all, but that "repack question" was too vague.

- Trip

I contemplated splitting it and decided to change the title (which is how it was accidentally split in the first place). Since the original question was about whether or not the repack involved moving to ATSC 3.0, I decided it wasn't really off-topic after all, but that "repack question" was too vague.

- Trip
thanks Trip for changing the title here on satguys with NAB coming up in the next couple of weeks be sure to pay attention to alot of broadcasters etc talking about atsc 3.0 and next gentv they will be talking about HDR and my favorite 4k and 8k so there will be alot to go around, thank you :)

thanks Trip for changing the title here on satguys with NAB coming up in the next couple of weeks be sure to pay attention to alot of broadcasters etc talking about atsc 3.0 and next gentv they will be talking about HDR and my favorite 4k and 8k so there will be alot to go around, thank you :)
The time for talk is over. Those who are going to do Next Gen TV better get on with it on lose any interest that they've generated.

Lest anyone get bamboozled by community generated false hope, there's nothing in the spec that includes 8K and even 4K seems unlikely until DTV is gone. Of course if there's no UHD content to broadcast, it is all very academic. Remember 3D?

The time for talk is over. Those who are going to do Next Gen TV better get on with it on lose any interest that they've generated.

Lest anyone get bamboozled by community generated false hope, there's nothing in the spec that includes 8K and even 4K seems unlikely until DTV is gone. Of course if there's no UHD content to broadcast, it is all very academic. Remember 3D?
i totally agree with you if you are a tv station time to go with nextgentv is now so that way your audence with new 4ktvs with HDR are wondering where is that new 4k programming you have been promising.8k will be coming in hurry LOL :)

https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/...teach-station-engineers-basics-of-next-gen-tv

ATSC 3.0 Roadshow Aims To Teach Station Engineers Basics Of Next Gen TV

LAS VEGAS—If ATSC 3.0 is to make a successful transition from the standardization process and trial stations into the mainstream, the broadcast engineers responsible for their stations’ technical infrastructure and over-the-air signal delivery will be the ones to whom the responsibility falls.
Gary SgrignoliRecognizing the critical role of these broadcast engineers, the IEEE Broadcast Technology Society and Gary Sgrignoli, a principal at broadcast technical consultancy Meintel, Sgrignoli & Wallace, are organizing the ATSC 3.0 Roadshow—the Next Gen TV successor to the 10-year-long effort Sgrignoli undertook with his DTV Roadshow to educate engineers about digital TV transmission.