ATSC tuner in Satellite Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary Z

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Seguin, Texas
If a Satellite Receiver has an ATSC tuner in it does it add the OTA channels to the satellite channel list ?

yes

It has it separate in the list under its own "satellite". Depending on the receiver the sat may be "DTV" (Pansat 9200) or a bogus satellite name (Coolsat 8000) but if you sort by satellite the DTV channels are separate from the satellite channels

Well, it was a remark for DTV/Dish satellite receivers, same time I'm thinking newest FTA sat receivers could use TitanTV service for populate a guide for local stations. Azbox claim they had APG for that.

sadly no.
The Coolsat 8000 originally had a EPG guide in it.....but they forgot the satellite software in it :eek:

After a few software upgrades the OTA EPG went kaput

Well, it was a remark for DTV/Dish satellite receivers
This is the FTA area so we dont use Dish/Direct receivers here ;)

Sadly my 811 went kaput too :(
Have one here with yellow card (well embedded card) that was used for OTA & NASA...Once Dish downloaded the newest software into it (which the receiver was out of stream for 6 months or so so it just downloaded the other day) now I have a doorstop. All channels (including the FTA ones) say "you must call Dish to get new card" and I cant access the OTA channels. They dont show in the guide

oh well......whoops kinda got off topic but eh, we're use to it here :)

Which receivers will do ATSC? Iceberg mentioned the Pansat 9200 and Coolsat 8000 both are HD are there and SD receivers and what are some other HD?

I dont know of any SD receivers that have a ASTC tuner

as for HD
CS8000/8100
Pansat 9000/9200
Sonicview 8000 (I think)

And just to be clear, the OTA channels DO have the EPG, it's just that for some unknown reason, it doesn't work with most of the STBs. The EPG DOES work on OTA channels with TSREADER though, and it's very handy. I can use TSREADER to record programs just by clicking on the EPG entry. My Coolsat 8100 and Diamond 9000 though don't seem to support ATSC EPG, and I don't know why.

Sadly my 811 went kaput too :(
Have one here with yellow card (well embedded card) that was used for OTA & NASA...Once Dish downloaded the newest software into it (which the receiver was out of stream for 6 months or so so it just downloaded the other day) now I have a doorstop. All channels (including the FTA ones) say "you must call Dish to get new card" and I cant access the OTA channels. They dont show in the guide

oh well......whoops kinda got off topic but eh, we're use to it here :)
Can you tell me what was that 'good' FW version ?
Perhaps there is a way bring it back for the good reason: OTA and NASA ?

Can you tell me what was that 'good' FW version ?
Perhaps there is a way bring it back for the good reason: OTA and NASA ?

Phlatwood mentions it
4.27 was what was in it. Could watch NASA, Angel One, Dish 101 and had the "good" meter
it downloaded 4.28 and now on all channels I get "you need a new card to continue to watch this" and now it has the neutered" meter. Receiver had been out of the stream for a good 6 months or so. Since I got the DTV Pal

only way to get it back is with a new card I'm assuming

funny part is my old Dish 5000 with blue card still works for those channels

way off topic: EPG for OTA

Many, many, many months ago, I opened a thread to explore the OTA and EPG capabilities of the Diamond HD receiver, just for OTA only!
I wanted a recorder for HD local channels.
It quickly became apparent, that none of the HD receivers on the market had OTA EPG.
The following is not really an FTA receiver, but it it the only stand alone receiver with an EPG that I know of.
The Dish Network DTV Pal DVR.
If you really must have something like this, it's discussed in another part of the SatGuy's forum.

Having not tried one, the only shortcoming I have a hint of, is that you wouldn't be able to directly extract video off the hard drive.
Most people wouldn't care. I do.
But, it does record HD, OTA, and has a few days of EPG, based on what the broadcasters transmit.
No internet connection required. ... though what they've done with the product in the last few months, is anyone's guess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)