Attaching Dish to a tree

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

marley413

Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
USA
I need some ideas on how to attah a satellite to a tree. Now, I know all the downsides to this. I have explored every other option, I am in a remote location and without cutting down 15-20 full grown trees(that are not on my property) I cannot receive DirecTV services.

The tree is stable and about 18" in diameter and I need to install it about 8' off the ground to miss the above mentioned tree line. AND, I only need this to work for about a year. I will then be in a better position for the usual methods.

Please advice on what would be the best methods for this.

Thanks in advance!

According to a recent puzzler on "Car Talk" (my Sunday morning entertainment whilst cutting the grass), trees grow from the top (ie. the claim is that a branch which is currently 8' off the ground, will still be 8' off the ground years from now.. so from that point of view, it doesn't sound like the worst solution.

Remember trees grow and move a tad, but if its only for a year, then you shouldnt have a problem. Long term though, not a good idea unless you like to reaim every spring and fall.

Cheers, K

If you HAVE to do it just mount it like you were a roof. Drill the foot plate to the tree using lags.
Try to hit studs. ;)

According to a recent puzzler on "Car Talk" (my Sunday morning entertainment whilst cutting the grass), trees grow from the top (ie. the claim is that a branch which is currently 8' off the ground, will still be 8' off the ground years from now.. so from that point of view, it doesn't sound like the worst solution.

This is not only true but was a question on a General Botany 101 final exam.

RE the mast mount...........if the tree sways in the wind you are screwed..............can you pound in a piece of plumbing pipe?

Joe

Last edited:
I cannot do anything on the ground around the tree. It is a shared area with my neighbor. And he has made it clear that is where he puts his grass clippings(yeah I know, most idiotic thing ever). But he had no problem with me putting the satellite on the tree?????????

Like I said, this would only be for a 1 year, 16 months at very most. Thanks for the idea with the foot plate, I will go that route.

Thanks for the fast responses, if I have any trouble I will come back for some additional advice.

Have a good one!

This is not only true but was a question on a General Botany 101 final exam.

RE the mast mount...........if the tree sways in the wind you are screwed..............can you pound in a piece of plumbing pipe?

Joe

The OP said the tree was 18" diameter.. I'm thinking it won't sway that much

If you attatch to the tree, expect to re-align it every year or so as the tree grows.

see the 2 posts in the thread.. the bottom of the tree will not be growing/moving.

I cannot do anything on the ground around the tree. It is a shared area with my neighbor. And he has made it clear that is where he puts his grass clippings(yeah I know, most idiotic thing ever). But he had no problem with me putting the satellite on the tree?????????

Like I said, this would only be for a 1 year, 16 months at very most. Thanks for the idea with the foot plate, I will go that route.

Thanks for the fast responses, if I have any trouble I will come back for some additional advice.

Have a good one!

About the grass clippings...............that is where the fly eggs (maggots) grow and hatch. Best practice is to adjust the mowing schedule so clippings do not need raking. It is the infrequent chopping to low height that produces the most flies............also, even mulch or dirt will eventually damage the bark of the tree.

RE the tree......a chimney mount with some lumber short lumber to keep the strap from cutting the bark could allow you to avoid spiking a tree. Mount a short plank to the tree with the strap and attach the dish to the plank........or just spike away.

Joe

Nobody has yet addressed something that was part of my training years ago when putting in dishes. Maybe nobody cares anymore, but...attaching a dish to a tree is like attaching your electronics directly to a 30 foot, moisture-laden, sap-filled lightning rod.

Trees " ATTRACT" lightning like radio towers. (tall, and electrically attractive for discharge from the atmosphere as a direct path to ground.) You may have no trouble, but...you'll probably find in the fine print of your home-owners' or renters' policy that if lightning causes damage to your home, and is deemed "invited in" due to this installation, any coverage you think you have MAY be useless. It's a "code" thing I was told. (and generally not a good practice.) Unlike "standard grounding" for static discharge, you're actually inviting a significant voltage potential into your home.

If I was taught wrongly, I'll defer to other experts. Made sense to me.

Nobody has yet addressed something that was part of my training years ago when putting in dishes. Maybe nobody cares anymore, but...attaching a dish to a tree is like attaching your electronics directly to a 30 foot, moisture-laden, sap-filled lightning rod.

Trees " ATTRACT" lightning like radio towers. (tall, and electrically attractive for discharge from the atmosphere as a direct path to ground.) You may have no trouble, but...you'll probably find in the fine print of your home-owners' or renters' policy that if lightning causes damage to your home, and is deemed "invited in" due to this installation, any coverage you think you have MAY be useless. It's a "code" thing I was told. (and generally not a good practice.) Unlike "standard grounding" for static discharge, you're actually inviting a significant voltage potential into your home.

If I was taught wrongly, I'll defer to other experts. Made sense to me.

You correctly cited another draw back to attaching to trees. In fact,I think the same code requires ground rods (RODS!) every so many feet along a path from a dish or antenna more than about twenty feet away from the main bond.

My thought on the other part........."deemed...'invited in'"" is an attempt by landlords and insurance folks to duck responsibility.

But they do put lightning rods into trees for a reason. Most lightning hits I have seen "burn open" as they try to follow long cable runs.

Tree mounts are a roll of the dice.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)