Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
I don't think anyone posted this I read that at midnight tonight WABI CBS 5 and the CW are going off the air if they don't come to a agreement.

Chris

Direct's website says they want a 300% increase. Looks like the Gainesville, FL market is also involved.

It's true we did lose them at midnight and they're still off this morning. I hope the issue is resolved soon.

This is interesting- I now have CBS DNS on ch 390. I am well away from Bangor though, 60 miles or so.

looks like you technically qualify for the distant version. Their station is a paltry 12k watts and even digital the signal may not go that far. SO they gave you CBS NY for the time being

Many DIRECTV subscribers in Bangor, ME already qualify to receive an alternate station with the same network affiliation, so DIRECTV has already authorized their accounts.

How do they qualify for a NY distant without a waiver? Satellite can't give a distant even if the person is in a white zone, without a waiver......

Directv has done this in the past if you are too far away from what the station considers able to receive. The D* address site for distants under CBS & CW for him says "Missing" so technically they can qualify.

This isnt Dish where they have to tread on thin ice when giving someone a station outside of the market. There have been times where before D* launches a market they get the OK from the local station for a "blanket" waiver to give them the NY version until the locals are launched. Then they lose them.

I'm sure someone in Bangor proper wont get the NY station but I'm sure folks out in the middle of nowhere can get a distant station for that only

you might just have to "apply" for it
If you plug your address in this site
Enter Address

it should show (missing) for CW and allow you to get CW DNS. Only thing is they might charge you for it (CBS they wont as it was automatically added)

Any new info on this matter?

I live in Holden but there is a hill between my house and Bangor. I have tried to get a waiver before and was denied because "I live close enough" but because of the hill I have not been able to get their signal OTA even with a large outside antenna mounted on top of my two story garage. I have found my local WABI to be very difficult to deal with IMHO. I had many conversations with them but they were stuck on how close Holden is to Bangor and at the time would not take into account the hill that is between my house and Bangor. I think I will call DTV and see if I have any chance of getting a distant feed while they are negotiating. I have nothing to lose by asking. *sigh*

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.