Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
UPDATE - THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED. THERE IS NO BOYCOTT OF THE RADIO NETWORK NOR OF DMSI PRODUCTS - WE ARE KEEPING THIS THREAD OPEN HOWEVER SO PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS THERE ARE OUT THERE IN THIS WORLD.

Dear Friends,

Before I start I should warn you that portions of this message will contain strong language. I do apologize but it is there so I can tell you what happened. I urge you to read the entire thing so you know a little about what kind of idiots there are out there in this world. I also urge you to read it and help us take action as we will not be bullied as we were tonight. SatelliteGuys.US works hard to help people learn more about the industry and the hobby that is satellite television.

Yes folks this message is a call to arms of all SatelliteGuys members, we need your help!

I am proud of SatelliteGuys and I am proud of our staff. As you may or may not know our staff is made up of all volunteers who work to help you learn more about the industry and hobby. None of the staff at SatelliteGuys is paid; they do this because they like helping others. I am very proud of our staff.

Late last week a number of members alerted us that an internet & satellite based radio station was airing our SatelliteGuys Podcast. This struck us as odd as no one asked us for permission to rebroadcast our Copyrighted podcast. After making a little fuss over this in this week’s podcast the owner of the station (a guy named Ralph) contacted me seeking permission.

He then called me (he blocked his caller ID) and told me that he could use our Podcast as once it was placed online it became public domain. After talking for awhile I agreed he could rebroadcast it as long as the show was not edited in any way and I told him that we could revoke that permission at anytime. Ralph wanted me to pay $100 a month to rebroadcast the podcast and I told him I would not pay and he told me that he would use our Podcast as filler. I talked to him about doing a live show next year and he was receptive to that. Our call ended on a positive note and I emailed him the permission to air the podcast, and included the fact that the show must be run unedited and that we could revoke permission to rebroadcast the SatelliteGuys Podcast at anytime. Things were good. I was actually excited about the idea of doing a live national call in talk show about SatelliteGuys.

A few hours later I got another call (once again the caller ID was blocked) this one from a person named Rick Buckner, I personally did not know who this guy was but he wanted to talk to me, he was really gruff and annoying but he wanted to tell me that even though he’s competing with me that he wished no hard feelings. He told me about his show and we talked a bit about satellite radio and the now dark W0KIE radio network, which I was a part of in the early days of Satellite.

We also discussed the fact that his show would generate some controversy here as one of its main focuses is to tell folks what’s up there on Free To Air. To many new Free To Air (FTA) hobbyists this is a major no no, as many of these FTA lovers fear that all the special in the clear wild feeds (such as sporting events) would get scrambled. He explained to me his take on it and I had no problem with his opinion, and quite frankly if he wants to piss of the true die hard FTA folks then let him, it’s not my place to tell him what he can and cannot do. After 17 minutes on the phone with Mr. Buckner I wish him well with his new show and we ended our call.

Tonight while eating dinner with my family my phone rang again, the number on the caller ID displayed (000) 012-3456, even though I was eating I answered anyways as I was waiting for a call from one of my contacts at one of the Satellite Companies.

I answered and it was Rick Buckner who before I could really even start saying anything to me started “muther f**king” me because he was unhappy about something that SatelliteGuys staff member Iceberg said in a message here at SatelliteGuys about the fact that his show was going to spill the beans on whats really up there for Free To Air hobbyists. I tried to explain to Mr. Buckner that anything that Iceberg says or anyone else says here at SatelliteGuys is there own opinion, and as long as their opinion is on topic and not illegal then we have no issue with it. Rick Buckner did not even pay attention to a word I was saying and then went on to say (and while I am quoting here, it is not a direct quote, but is the quote as I remember him saying it) that he “has a lot of friends in the industry and if Iceberg does not watch out he will not be doing anything online again.” That threat set off my fuse, I told Mr. Buckner that if he has a problem with Iceberg to take it up with Iceberg, with that (he was still swearing up a storm in the backround not even paying attention he was saying that the new network was his and he could do whatever he wanted with it.) I told him to “go f**k youself” and hung up on him.

I am sorry I will not take that kind of talk about my staff or any of my members, nor will I let someone talk to me like that, especially when I am in the middle of eating dinner with my family. Iceberg is entitled to his opinion and I am not Iceberg, if you have a problem with something that Iceberg said then take it up with him.

Mr. Rick Buckner is trying to silence opinions of folks here at SatelliteGuys and I will not have it.

A CALL TO ARMS

We as SatelliteGuys members can not take crap like this from ANYONE. This new “Access America” Network is currently sponsored entirely by Tim Hienrichs DMSI of Georgia. And while I like Tim I must urge all SatelliteGuys members to not buy any product from DMSI or any of DMSI’s resellers. (DMSI does not sell directly to consumers, they only sell through dealers. DMSI imports and sells such Free To Air equipment such as the Traxis Free To Air receiver line, and the Trimax Satellite Meter) A list of those resellers can be found at DMS International Links Page.

We must drive home the point that a**holes (my opinion of course) like Rick Buckler cannot walk all over us.

We urge Tim Hienrichs to pull his sponsorship of this show and network. We also urge SatelliteGuys members to email Tim and let them know that they are not happy.

In addition the network is seeking money to continue operating, we urge you not to give money to this operation.

SatelliteGuys.US is compiling a list of all shows on this new network, with this list we will be compiling a list of all the call in numbers used by these shows and will urge all SatelliteGuys members to call into these shows and tie up their lines so that these shows can not function.

Also tonight I have been listening to and recording this new network all night, in the morning I plan on sending a CD of this new network to all the major music licensing clearing houses, as I strongly believe that as they were airing the SatelliteGuys Podcast without permission, that they are not paying royalties to rebroadcast this music (Music recorded included Elton John, Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt among others.) If this station or the programs on this station are not paying for the royalties for the music they are playing then chances are this will come and bite DMSI in the butt as from what I am told they are the ones responsible for the station since they are the ones paying the bills. Looking at this stations schedule, it appears they play music for over 6 hours a day.

In addition I have contacted a number of my contacts and will be finding out where this channel is uplinked from via satellite, and am prepared to file a DMCA takedown request if they play our SatelliteGuys podcast again. In addition I will take whatever legal action I need to against the station, Rick Buckner and DMSI to protect not only our interested but your interest and opinions here at SatelliteGuys.

Finally if you want to call Rick Buckner and tell him what’s on your mind you can his number which are found on his website are (this is all public record information) is 765-768-6943 or 765-749-2404.

I tried to be nice and even gave the station and the radio show in question the benefit of the doubt, however I will not have anyone threaten the site or our volunteer staff of our site just because they voiced their opinion.

Again as much I hate to do it, do not buy any DMSI equipment from ANY DMSI retailer, instead tell DMSI to end their sponsorship of Access America.

If we don’t take action then idiots like Rick Buckler will try to walk all over us, and we cannot let that happen as we are all SatelliteGuys.

BTW it should be noted that tonight two attacks were launched on our servers which caused for slowdowns and for the SatelliteGuys website to be unavailable for short periods of time. We are not sure if these attacks are related but the timing is suspicious.

Thank you for your support!

Last edited:
BTW I should note that we will not be alowing the promotion of this station or any of the shows on this station on the SatelliteGuys Website.

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but all the promotion of it so far the links to them have been to other commercial sites, these guys were trying to be slimy by posting their commercial URLS to get people to their sites without paying for advertising.

It is my believe this is a real slimy bunch we are dealing with here.

Any promotion of this channel or programs on this channel will be removed. Attempts to repost the info may lead to grounds of banning from SatelliteGuys.US.

Damn Scott, when you step in something you do it with both feet.

The other night I think it was last thursday night friday morning the site was unavailable atleast to me, so Im not sure if its related or not but just a heads up, tonight its been sluggish though I have had issues with the skype portion being last to load.

PS you have my support fully

I noticed the site was down earlier.

I am sorry to hear this, I hope it is resolved soon, good luck!

Thanks for letting us know what is going on.

in the words of Ron Simmons.... "DAMN"

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and listen but apparently someone had an issue with me voicing my opinion of the whole "posting feeds in an open area". What's odd is there were 3 or 4 posts that said the same thing (some earlier posts than mine) yet I get attacked.

Scott sorry some dummy called you and decided to act like a 2 year old thinking he's cool with the whole swearing thing. Also it looks like he is cowering because I tried to call Rick tonight..what did I get? "The person you are calling does not accept your calls. Please try again with caller ID". Where I live, most of the time it won't show caller ID so how am I suppose to call if I don't have caller ID? Geez..any business that uses caller ID block obviously doesn't want my business.

You have my backing 100%

Scott -
Any E-mail address for Mr Buckner? I'd like to let him know my opinion, but don't have time to make a call tomorrow during the business day as I have meetings all day.

He then called me (he blocked his caller ID) and told me that he could use our Podcast as once it was placed online it became public domain.

So when ESPN 1000 (local am station here) leaves the tower is that considered public domain sence it is the public airwaves. I'm pritty sure that it isnt as if i want to publicly use there audio i have to pay them for it. Im also pritty sure that I do the podcasts week end and week out for no money, for the enjoyment of the users of satelliteguys, not for rebraudcast for DMI international or any affilates of them. If thats that case then where is my roayalty check DMI. I dont think you realize that you cant afford me! Its a slap in the face when you want me to Pay for air time, when it should be the other way around. You all should be paying me out of respect. Im pritty sure that others in the industry like Leo Laporte's TWIT podcast get payed for their podcasts. Our show has been growing like crazy over the past ten episodes and they keep getting better and better, expecally now that I have gotten the edititing and sound experance right. While we continue to grow and go through growing pains, its to be expected as we are a new show only half way through our first season. I do take it as a complement that our show is compelling enough for them to use it as a filler. I think were doing something right and certinaly doing better than those monthly charlie chats i keep wondering about :D

I kind of knew when they started calling the podcasting hotline that they wanted money. Thats why I didnt respond as, I have other fish to fry right now, including a trip to CES that I dont get reimbursed for as I dont get paied for any of this, but I do it because I love this site and you all, and I need a vacation! I dont know what Ice said, but I know that I can rely on his judgment any time any day as he has allways been right on in my book.

Now when I heard that scott had struck a deal with them for some cross promotional stuff I was excited that we found a common bond and could live with one another. It was a win win situation. They get advertisment and server space here. We get air time over there. I too agree with ICE in that anything FTA up there should be kept hush hush because of encryption. I know all too well what can happen. Its a dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.

On a final note, I wanted to see what he meant for public domain. Occording to wikipeda public domain does not count when a material or production is copyrighted. wich Satelliteguys.us is and the podcast is. So there for, that argument is void.

Here is the definition.

Public domain comprises the body of knowledge and innovation (especially creative works such as writing, art, music, and inventions) in relation to which no person or other legal entity can establish or maintain proprietary interests within a particular legal jurisdiction. This body of information and creativity is considered to be part of a common cultural and intellectual heritage, which, in general, anyone may use or exploit, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes. About 15 percent of all books are in the public domain, including 10 percent of all books that are still in print.[1]
If an item ("work") is not in the public domain, it may be the result of a proprietary interest such as a copyright, patent, or other sui generis right. The extent to which members of the public may use or exploit the work is limited to the extent of the proprietary interests in the relevant legal jurisdiction. However, when the copyright, patent or other proprietary restrictions expire, the work enters the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose.

Im pritty sure that theft of MP3's is illiegal. I would ask the MPAA about that!

Damn what a bunch of Bullsh!t.....Scott you know us Staff and I know others have your back.

Scott,

I wish I could offer some sort of legal advice or suggestion, but most legal issues run counter to what I consider common sense so I wouldn't be much good there.

All the same, you have my full support. I am not a true FTA guy yet (come on February!), but look forward to earning my membership in the WUT club. I fully support the policy of protecting info about feeds from those who would abuse the information and ruin a good thing. I WON'T be supporting any efforts to the contrary and appreciate your bringing these jokers to our attention so we can steer clear of them.

Cheers,
Red

[edit] Freely obtained does not mean free to republish

These factors have reinforced the false notion that "freely obtained" means "public domain." One could argue that the Internet is a publicly-available domain, not licensed or controlled by any individual, company, or government; therefore, everything on the Internet is public domain. This specious argument ignores the fact that licensing rights are not dependent on the means of distribution or consumer acquisition. (If someone gives a person stolen merchandise, it is still stolen, even if the receiving party was not aware of it.) Chasing down copyright violations based on the idea that information is inherently free has become a primary focus of industries whose financial structure is based on their control of the distribution of such media.

Scott,

Sorry to hear this, too bad for them, and no big deal for you. I wouldn't pay them any attention on this. A) no right putting podcast up without permission, if that wasn't true, then why did they end up asking for permission? B) No one had any business calling you cussing about anything that was in the podcast, thread, post, etc. on satelliteguys.us, if they don't like what they see, hear, or read, then they don't need to air it. C) This will do nothing but help you and hurt them.

So....

I'd consider you the winner in all of this, without any call to action. Just don't let them rebroadcast, and move on. I understand you are pissed, I would be too, but no sense in getting down to their level...

Think about it this way;

Satelliteguys is #1, if it wasn't, this wouldn't be happening...

However, I support you and satelliteguys.us 100%, I just don't see any fight as being necessary because you are already the winner!

Dang if things don't get complicated when the moon gets full (check your calender). I wondered what all that language was about earlier, whew. I worked in a jail for 5yrs, so I wasn't exactly shocked but still....
Maybe this dude was drunk or drinking and just spouting off, it sure doesn't sound like he knows nearly as much as he thinks he does. Far as the
use of the podcast, I'd be sure he got a definite refusal NOW ! Don't think it's free for anybody to rebroadcast just because it came thru the internet lol.
Haven't tried , but I don't believe you can go to Rush Limbaugh, or anybody else's website and get their podcast for free, much less rebroadcast it.
Hope everyone keeps good paper records here, in case an attorney gets
involved at some later date. Personally, I don't know this guy but he sure sounds like he needs taking down a notch or two. And thanks Scott, and Iceberg, and everyone else here who gives so much personal time and attention to this great web forum.

Just to play the devil's advocate.

Just make sure you have a properly applied for and completed copyright applications. Just saying your work is copyright protected, does not make it so. I also am not 110% sure, but do not think there is one all-encompassing blanket copyright; there may be. However, If I as a person make a recording of my wife and my conversations and post it to a web-board of other facility where it can be D/L for free, then it is in the public domain regardless of it being my work or an MP3; even if it is on my owned web site and on my owned server.

As always, things must be applicable material AND all the proper forms must be filled and completed and such. Its never just a matter of saying it is protected.

I can say I searched long and hard with various names, keywords, and titles and see no copyrights on file.

Posting of said copyright number(s) would solve a lot of open questions.

JUST A FEW RESOURCES:

Copyright Search Tool

U.S. Copyright Office - Sound Recordings Registration

Electronic Frontier Foundation (SatGuys really is a Web-board/BLOG, not a company or recognized news organization; right?)

Podcasting Legal Guide

Podcasting Legal Guide - Are Your Works In The PublicDomain

Last edited:
When I got that spam mail from DMSI last week, I thought something seemed fishy about it.

He then called me (he blocked his caller ID) and told me that he could use our Podcast as once it was placed online it became public domain. After talking for awhile I agreed he could rebroadcast it as long as the show was not edited in any way and I told him that we could revoke that permission at anytime. Ralph wanted me to pay $100 a month to rebroadcast the podcast and I told him I would not pay and he told me that he would use our Podcast as filler. I talked to him about doing a live show next year and he was receptive to that. Our call ended on a positive note and I emailed him the permission to air the podcast, and included the fact that the show must be run unedited and that we could revoke permission to rebroadcast the SatelliteGuys Podcast at anytime. Things were good. I was actually excited about the idea of doing a live national call in talk show about SatelliteGuys.

I do not get the logic behind this -- so he played your podcast without permission (illegal or not, still tacky), and then when you called him on it he wanted $100 a month or he'd just use it as filler? That's not exactly how to win friends and influence people, but I'd be happy to see a legit FTA show on FTA - even in small doses.

But this:
“has a lot of friends in the industry and if Iceberg does not watch out he will not be doing anything online again.”

Yeah, good luck with that. While rebroadcasting podcasts may be questionably legal, making a threat over the phone is pretty open and shut.

Last edited:
Iceberg certainly has every right (and good reason) to discourage detailed open discussion of feeds and test channels. If these are discussed openly, it alerts the bean counters, who believe that nobody should get anything for free. They will then encrypt the uplink (or demand that it be encrypted if they are not the originators of the uplink), and we all lose. It is well known that Dish Network monitors these forums very carefully, as do many other uplinkers. Anyone who is truly interested in this hobby should invest in a blind scan receiver, then there is no need for info that can lead to these problems to be discussed openly.

Rick Buckner is completely out of line , it may have started out somewhat amicably until he got into bully mode , talking about stepping on somebody's toes.
OUCH !!! :eek:

I don't like the idea of backhauls or certain channels unknown to Lyngsat being discussed openly either , that is just an opinion that I feel benefits many people enjoying the programming and I don't see why someone should get bent out of shape about it or feel threatened by it , his response definitely showed that he has no class. :mad:

This doesn't have to end badly , if he gets over his ego trip and apologizes and DMSI can control the situation and properly do damage control , this radio program could benefit from a very large and active Satellite Guys Members and forum fanbase.

Lets hope that this situation can be fixed , I for one do not have a problem with a DMSI product boycott especially if it means that Rick will be put in his rightful place , which from what I have read .... he sure sounds like a arrogant SOB.

This doesn't have to end badly , if he gets over his ego trip and apologizes and DMSI can control the situation and properly do damage control , this radio program could benefit from a very large and active Satellite Guys Members and forum fanbase.

Lets hope that this situation can be fixed , I for one do not have a problem with a DMSI product boycott especially if it means that Rick will be put in his rightful place , which from what I have read .... he sure sounds like a arrogant SOB.[/quote]

Well said, Jay. There's so much potential here, at least in theory, and yet it's already looking like the new network's determined to take on water on the first day of its maiden voyage. :( I cannot fathom how such rude behavior would come from someone trying to launch something this neat. :(

I imagine if Rick had taken a few deep breaths and thought out what he was going to say before running off at the mouth, most or all of this flaming wreckage could have been avoided. One way or the other, he's going to regret what sounds like a moment of angry stupidity.

I can't begin to defend it, but I was pretty excited myself about the possibility of a channel with original and independent programming. I'm so sick of mainstream mass-media radio. :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.